What's new

Question: What is the oldest shaving soap still in production?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
De Vergulde Hand, is it a shave soap or is it a tub of margarine? It is very inexpensive in Europe and performs very well for the price. 😁
de-vergulde-hand-shaving-soap-75g.jpg

...that's means I have to buy Cella now to pair with my antique Star razor?????

what scent profile does it have?
Well, first I have to say Cella is a wonderful performing soft soap, in the Italian tradition, with a very short list of simple ingredients.

It reminds me of an Italian almond cookie -- a sweet, buttery almond. Some people smell cherry, but I think they associate almond with maraschino cherries.

When you first open a new container the scent is a bit too strong. Once you lather Cella up the scent tones down, then fades away when you rinse it off. If you can air the soap out for a few days and the scent becomes less strong.

Cella pairs up well with barbershop type scents.

Caswell-Massey produced a scented soap in 1752 that was used by many to shave (including one Geo. Washington), so could be defined as "shaving soap." Still in production today, at least the same fragrance, but perhaps not the same formulation.

Caswell-Massey produced a scented soap in 1752 that was used by many to shave (including one Geo. Washington), so could be defined as "shaving soap." Still in production today, at least the same fragrance, but perhaps not the same formulation.

source for this????

camo

source for this????

camo
It used to be detailed on the product page of that soap in the Caswell-Massey catalog. I believe the product is called #6. Very powdery scent. In fact, I just checked, and the info is available on their website.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

source for this????

camo

Their catalog, reference their fragrance....

And their current soap, no doubt considerably different....

Interesting. Caswell-Massey has enlisted The Holy Black to make their artisan shave soaps, including VI.

Williams Was a good soap when I first started shaving in '61.

damn.

that's means I have to buy Cella now to pair with my antique Star razor?????

what scent profile does it have?

camo

Cella has a nice Almond Cherry scent. Used my Star DE this morning, works well with Cella

Williams was probably the first real shaving soap but its formula has changed a few times and I haven't seen it on shelves for a couple of years. I'm not sure the oldest current formula but some of the older ones are likely Klar, Cella, Valobra, MWF, MdC, Col Conk, and Tabac. I think I read that Haslinger was the oldest but that was the tallow version.

I wonder if there are any soap historians.

Last edited:
The MWF package states that they are using, ‘Original 1893 formula,’ but the company website clearly states that the company started in, ‘the early 1930s.’ So, I am not clear how to precisely date this one!
Let me help. MWF uses chelating agents, tetrasodium EDTA tetrasodium etidronate, which were invented decades after 1893. Maybe they had a time traveling De Lorean ;-)

proxy.php

I don’t shave with soy sauce often but it sure does tenderize my face, uh Steak. I couldn’t help but notice how long they’ve been making this stuff... hard to beat 1645!

Let me help. MWF uses chelating agents, tetrasodium EDTA tetrasodium etidronate, which were invented decades after 1893. Maybe they had a time traveling De Lorean ;-)

Probably are stretching the definition of "original" since the main ingredients are the same. Do we have any judges to make a ruling on that? ;)

Top Bottom