What's new

Question: What is the oldest shaving soap still in production?

On my morning walk I was thinking of some of the old school shaving soaps that you really don't see anymore. I then wondered what is the oldest shaving soap that is still in production? I came up with Williams...Palmolive (okay...its a cream but you know what I mean).

Truthfully I really don't know the answer. I hope someone out there will know.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Unfortunately, I do not have a direct answer to this question.

However, in my den, the oldest soap still in production is Cella Extra Extra Purissima. It dates back to 1899 and it's EXACTLY the same, ancient and original formula.

Unfortunately, I do not have a direct answer to this question.

However, in my den, the oldest soap still in production is Cella Extra Extra Purissima. It dates back to 1899 and it's EXACTLY the same, ancient and original formula.
Thanks Marco...1899 is old enough to fit the description. And Cella is a fine product!

You are very welcome, my friend.

I had a doubt about Mitchell's Wool Fat, if older or not compared to Cella. It is actually slightly older: 1893. Here also same original formula.

Many classic products no longer use the same original formula. Some of the original ingredients may no longer be available. Some new ingredients may have been added. Some ingredients used originally may be prohibited by government regulations. The original formulation for Coca Cola contained cocaine, which was legal in 1886 when the product was developed. Use of cocaine was made illegal in the USA in 1914, so cocaine was removed from the formula. Many soaps have had to change their formulations due to health and environmental regulations, especially in the EU where certain ingredients have been banned or highly regulated.

Williams Mug Soap was first produced in 1840. Although it is still marketed as the original shaving soap for use in shaving mugs, the product today differs from that which was made 180 years ago. The ingredients of the current product are: potassium stearate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, water, glycerin, fragrance, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, stearic acid, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium etidronate; may also contain sodium palm kernelate. Some of those ingredients did not become available until the 20th century, so the formula cannot be original.

Mitchell's Wool Fat dates back to the 19th century as well. The current formula is not original: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate. Again, some of the ingredients in the current formula were not available until the 20th century.

Cella uses a fairly simple formula: Cocos Nucifera Oil, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Aqua, Potassium Carbonate, Parfum. Thus, it is possible that the manufacturer is adhering to the original formula. Since coconut oil, tallow, and stearic acid are derived from natural sources, the distribution of fatty acids in the product may have changed over time, but at least the product may be close to the original.

Marco may well be right in his assertion that Cella is the oldest shaving soap formula still is use.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Many classic products no longer use the same original formula. Some of the original ingredients may no longer be available. Some new ingredients may have been added. Some ingredients used originally may be prohibited by government regulations. The original formulation for Coca Cola contained cocaine, which was legal in 1886 when the product was developed. Use of cocaine was made illegal in the USA in 1914, so cocaine was removed from the formula. Many soaps have had to change their formulations due to health and environmental regulations, especially in the EU where certain ingredients have been banned or highly regulated.

Williams Mug Soap was first produced in 1840. Although it is still marketed as the original shaving soap for use in shaving mugs, the product today differs from that which was made 180 years ago. The ingredients of the current product are: potassium stearate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, water, glycerin, fragrance, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, stearic acid, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium etidronate; may also contain sodium palm kernelate. Some of those ingredients did not become available until the 20th century, so the formula cannot be original.

Mitchell's Wool Fat dates back to the 19th century as well. The current formula is not original: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate. Again, some of the ingredients in the current formula were not available until the 20th century.

Cella uses a fairly simple formula: Cocos Nucifera Oil, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Aqua, Potassium Carbonate, Parfum. Thus, it is possible that the manufacturer is adhering to the original formula. Since coconut oil, tallow, and stearic acid are derived from natural sources, the distribution of fatty acids in the product may have changed over time, but at least the product may be close to the original.

Marco may well be right in his assertion that Cella is the oldest shaving soap formula still is use.

Sir, your post above is very well written and I totally agree.

Regarding Cella I am 100% sure that it is EXACTLY the same, ancient and original formula. Years ago I got confirmation about that straight from its manufacturer, the Nicky Chini Company based in San Giuliano Milanese.

Bearing in mind MWF and Williams seem to be 2 of the most commonly mentioned soaps in "please help" threads it scares me to think how people coped with these back in the pre internet 19th century!

okay....

so with this in mind......what was most likely available or used in the US from around 1860 to 1907 ????

camo

Great thread!

The MWF package states that they are using, ‘Original 1893 formula,’ but the company website clearly states that the company started in, ‘the early 1930s.’ So, I am not clear how to precisely date this one!

Last edited:

Great points!! There are layers and layers to the question! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom