What's new

Question to Rockwell 6S users

I had a 6S, but I preferred it on 6. I feel the Timeless .95 (stainless) is a far better razor. For me it is smoother and much more efficient than the 6S. Since you like the 3 plate on the 6S, I recommend the Timeless (stainless) with the .68 gap.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

The Timeless 0.68 seems like the best option for me, unfortunately they are not available at any EU store and last time I dealt with the customs for something shipped from USA it was a very unpleasant experience so I'll stick to my Rockwell.

Or maybe fortunately because I am happy with my Rockwell 6S and I don't need another razor, this is just RAD :)

The Timeless 0.68 seems like the best option for me, unfortunately they are not available at any EU store and last time I dealt with the customs for something shipped from USA it was a very unpleasant experience so I'll stick to my Rockwell.

Unfortunately, all the “flavour of the month” razors seem to be like that recently. There are a whole lot of razor companies that only seem interested in the North American market.

So many recommendations for Timeless, RazoRock and Karve. But I’m wary of ordering anything that requires international shipping and doesn’t have a local retailer offering support here in Australia.

At least Rockwell, despite being small, managed to get local retailers on board pretty much everywhere.

Unfortunately, all the “flavour of the month” razors seem to be like that recently. There are a whole lot of razor companies that only seem interested in the North American market.

So many recommendations for Timeless, RazoRock and Karve. But I’m wary of ordering anything that requires international shipping and doesn’t have a local retailer offering support here in Australia.

At least Rockwell, despite being small, managed to get local retailers on board pretty much everywhere.

There’s an Aussie distributor of RazoRock just so you know. Bought my GC .84 through them and was very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This seems specific to certain soaps. Of all my razors, it’s one of the least prone to clogging.
Weird. Mine was horrible with soaps that never gave me issues with clogging with any other razor. Bummer too because I really wanted to like the Rockwell.

There’s an Aussie distributor of RazoRock just so you know. Bought my GC .84 through them and was very happy.

Can you point me in their direction? I’ve only ever found one local stockist for their razors, and they are perpetually out of stock.

Can you point me in their direction? I’ve only ever found one local stockist for their razors, and they are perpetually out of stock.
This would be v shod (one word)
Great bunch of guys to do business with and always slip in some extra items like blades or a puck of haslinger (seriously got this last time on a $7.50 order, shipped express....)

This would be v shod (one word)
Great bunch of guys to do business with and always slip in some extra items like blades or a puck of haslinger (seriously got this last time on a $7.50 order, shipped express....)
Thanks. I’d been scanning past them on Google thinking they were a US store, because they don’t use a .com.au domain name.

However, their pricing is quite “optimistic”.

For example, the local Rockwell reseller has price parity with the US when taxes and exchange rate are factored in. Whereas Vshod seems to be charging a hefty premium. As a result, they’re charging as much for a Mamba (with titanium handle) as the 6S goes for locally.

Thanks. I’d been scanning past them on Google thinking they were a US store, because they don’t use a .com.au domain name.

For example, the local Rockwell reseller has price parity with the US when taxes and exchange rate are factored in. Whereas Vshod seems to be charging a hefty premium. As a result, they’re charging as much for a Mamba (with titanium handle) as the 6S goes for locally.
It is possible - i havent ever looked at their razor pricing to compare.
Speaking of "optimistic", i did see last time that they were taking pre-orders on the Model T lol....

It is possible - i havent ever looked at their razor pricing to compare.
Speaking of "optimistic", i did see last time that they were taking pre-orders on the Model T lol....
I know one guy who has received his Model T. They're real.

Yeah, V shod.
Drop them a line, they’re a bit flexible. Express postage is included in their pricing though which is a plus.
Good mob to deal with though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I shaved with my 6c (3) the other day to reminisce. Lol. I have to say the shave was amazing.

I have been using a Karve for the last few months (mixed with my Gillettes, etc). All of my current plates are closed SB. I typically like the B plate. It is smooth, efficient, and a joy to shave with... For the most part. My sticking point is the against the grain. It's efficient, has a rather verbose blade gap compared to how it feels (people compare it to Rockwell plate 3 for feel, which is actually a much smaller gap). However, I am coming to the conclusion that the smoke and mirrors can only do so much. On the most sensitive shave it still feels like a razor with such a large gap. As a point of explanation... I shave ATG easiest with a Rockwell 3-plate, the 4 is a little uncomfortable / overly felt. The Karve B feels like something sizable more than the 4 atg.

I have tried the Karve A plate, which is definitely better than the B ATG. However, it leaves a noticeable amount of stubble behind. My assumption is this is a byproduct of negative blade exposure. On the same line of thinking, but exagerated, if I held the razor an arm-length from my face I'd cut even less (none). The blade needs to be on an even level. Positive exposure increases irritation, negative reduces efficiency.

I don't know what Rockwell's exposure is. I am assuming, based on my experience, that it is neutral... Probably for all plates, too, with the gap as the sole difference. I can only guess but the feel I get leads me to believe that I am close or spot on.

Basically, I get the most comfortable, (yet serviceable) shave from the 6c on 3. The Karve A is less efficient, but equally comfortable. The Karve B is a sizably better cut, but the feel (and discomfort) is there. The C plate is a step further in that direction.

It's been great experimenting for the past few months, and I plan to do a bit more Karve to Rockwell play. In the end, though, I might buy a 6s because if the shave hurts (a bit) it gets tiring quick. Then again, maybe I just need to work on my ATG shaves ... Not to get good with something like a C or D but still least to bring smoothness to the B? Is that even possible? I don't know, but I do know that as shaving typically goes, unless you have my skin and hair (and basically are me), you can't really answer that for me.

Sorry for the length of the explanation here. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I shaved with my 6c (3) the other day to reminisce. Lol. I have to say the shave was amazing.

I have been using a Karve for the last few months (mixed with my Gillettes, etc). All of my current plates are closed SB. I typically like the B plate. It is smooth, efficient, and a joy to shave with... For the most part. My sticking point is the against the grain. It's efficient, has a rather verbose blade gap compared to how it feels (people compare it to Rockwell plate 3 for feel, which is actually a much smaller gap). However, I am coming to the conclusion that the smoke and mirrors can only do so much. On the most sensitive shave it still feels like a razor with such a large gap. As a point of explanation... I shave ATG easiest with a Rockwell 3-plate, the 4 is a little uncomfortable / overly felt. The Karve B feels like something sizable more than the 4 atg.

I have tried the Karve A plate, which is definitely better than the B ATG. However, it leaves a noticeable amount of stubble behind. My assumption is this is a byproduct of negative blade exposure. On the same line of thinking, but exagerated, if I held the razor an arm-length from my face I'd cut even less (none). The blade needs to be on an even level. Positive exposure increases irritation, negative reduces efficiency.

I don't know what Rockwell's exposure is. I am assuming, based on my experience, that it is neutral... Probably for all plates, too, with the gap as the sole difference. I can only guess but the feel I get leads me to believe that I am close or spot on.

Basically, I get the most comfortable, (yet serviceable) shave from the 6c on 3. The Karve A is less efficient, but equally comfortable. The Karve B is a sizably better cut, but the feel (and discomfort) is there. The C plate is a step further in that direction.

It's been great experimenting for the past few months, and I plan to do a bit more Karve to Rockwell play. In the end, though, I might buy a 6s because if the shave hurts (a bit) it gets tiring quick. Then again, maybe I just need to work on my ATG shaves ... Not to get good with something like a C or D but still least to bring smoothness to the B? Is that even possible? I don't know, but I do know that as shaving typically goes, unless you have my skin and hair (and basically are me), you can't really answer that for me.

Sorry for the length of the explanation here. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, my ATG does still need honing, as I managed an almost pain free run with the Karve B. Still, I know my skin is super sensitive. I will always have trouble with this.

Tried the Rockwell on 4 last night. Haven't done this in some time. It felt like the Karve B, just a bit less polished. So, the Rockwell 3 is my only real winner and I don't think I will be giving up on the Karve for that. I like the close shave of my B plate. I will probably just use the 6c on 3 as my easy day shave. [emoji846]

My experiences in brief with the razors mentioned...
The 6C and the 6S wre very different for me. I found the 6C to give a very uncomfortable shave. I like the 6S. For the longest time I was a 5/3 plates guy. A WTG pass with the 5 and then a XTG and a ATG with the 3. These shaves were pretty good. I then switched to the 6 and 4 (only sing the 3 on my head, 1 ATG pass) and found it to be a better shave due to less blade on face time.
I bought a Karve with an OC B, SB C, and SB D plate. I do not like the shave I get with the SB plates. I find the OC B plate and handle my shaving needs but am awaiting an order of OC C and OC D plates to better refine the shave and reduce the blade against face time. Mind you, I do shave my face everyday and my head every other.
I use Astra SP blades. I have found that more aggressive with these blades provide my best shaves. These blades have even made my Muhle R41 a please to shave with.

This is a question for people who have tried Rockwell 6S and, like me, found it at setting/plate 3 (R3) to be one of the best, smoothest and most efficient razors:
Have you tried any other razor that is as good or better?
Preferably not made from Zamak.

I have tried about 15 razors until finding the Rockwell 6S in 2017 and I am very happy with it but in the mean time I see new ones appeared, especially some interesting ones made from stainless steel and other good materials, some made with CNC, and they look very interesting (and very expensive...).
From the ones I tried Rockwell is the most expensive, followed by Merkur Progress and except the stainless steel Rockwell and the brass Fatip they where all made from Zamak.
I also tried a shavette.
My favorites after some distance to Rockwell are the Merkur Progress at the lowest setting which is close to Rockwell at R4 and the Merkur open comb which is close to Rockwell at R2.

Thanks!
Like you, I've found the 6S with plate R3 is the king of smooth with very good efficiency, and with R4, 5 or 6 only very slightly less smooth with excellent efficiency. However, even with R6, the 6S is probably not the absolute king of efficiency, which is one reason I suspect some move on from it. If you are having trouble getting the close shave you want in three passes with the 6S, and annoying stubble is left behind even with the R6 plate, you may be one of those. I don't have that problem, and don't see myself moving on from the 6S any time soon.

For the last few weeks, I've been using the CNC-machined steel Game Changer with the .84 plate. Better build quality and definitely closer tolerances than the 6S, and a lighter, thinner, more maneuverable head. I get a great, close three-pass shave with it, with efficiency comparable to the 6S with plates R5 or 6, but not more efficient, and not quite as smooth. It also comes, or came, with a .68 plate that does have 6S R3 smoothness but not quite 6S R3 efficiency. So as good as it is with both plates, it doesn't unambiguously surpass the 6S for me. Nor does the steel Rex Ambassador, which I tried in a pass around here and is also very good.

Top Bottom