What's new

Question to Rockwell 6S users

This is a question for people who have tried Rockwell 6S and, like me, found it at setting/plate 3 (R3) to be one of the best, smoothest and most efficient razors:
Have you tried any other razor that is as good or better?
Preferably not made from Zamak.

I have tried about 15 razors until finding the Rockwell 6S in 2017 and I am very happy with it but in the mean time I see new ones appeared, especially some interesting ones made from stainless steel and other good materials, some made with CNC, and they look very interesting (and very expensive...).
From the ones I tried Rockwell is the most expensive, followed by Merkur Progress and except the stainless steel Rockwell and the brass Fatip they where all made from Zamak.
I also tried a shavette.
My favorites after some distance to Rockwell are the Merkur Progress at the lowest setting which is close to Rockwell at R4 and the Merkur open comb which is close to Rockwell at R2.

Thanks!

I own a lot of razors (DE and SE). These include Timeless, Fatip, ATT, Karve, Merkur, General and on. If the Rockwell was the only razor I had I would be happy. I use the 6 plate and I find it gives me an easy, close and comfortable shave every time. I enjoy the variety of using different razors. The rabbit hole is easy to fall into!

I haven’t tried the Rockwel , however if it helps I do see a lot of comparisons between the Rockwell and Karve razor for their shares smoothness.

Over the years, I have used many different razors and many different styles of shaving. Every single razor (or shaver) is now boxed away and I only have my Rockwell 6S on the counter. In fact, I own two, one for home and one for travel (in case the the TSA gets over zealous, I have a back up). I shave my head with the #3 plate but I use a combination of #5 & #2 on my face. The only other razor that I have found that works for me for all the different shaving I do is the Muhle R89 with a proper blade. Once I found the Rockwell, I really stopped buying razors and started to focus on brushes :crazy:

The Rockwell 6S is definitely the smoothest, easiest to use razor I own. Getting a “good” shave is effortless. But it requires a bit of work to get a “perfect” shave.

The Progress is the razor that reliably gives me that “perfect” shave. It just manages to reach into the difficult areas without needing excessive skin stretching. And unlike my open combs, rarely irritates even when used twice-daily. But it requires more concentration and technique than the 6S does.

All other razors (and I have a dozen) are in a second tier. All interesting in their own way, but neither as easy to drive as the Rockwell or as reliably effective as the Progress.

That said, I still get my Fatboy out most weekends (it gives me similar results to the Progress but needs an extra pass), travel with either my DE89 or one of my Techs, and enjoy my Fatips for their quirkiness (even if they hate my face).

But if I was forced to use just one razor forever, it would be the Progress or Rockwell.

Last edited:
I have a Rockwell 6s, my Main razor for several months. Easy to get good results.
Nur I purchased a Rex Ambassador.
It's not that smooth as you feel much more blade, but smooth enough for a comfortable shave. But far more efficient, and works for me better in Problematik areas, as Adams Apple.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

While I don't have 6S but have a 6C I well understand why you are very happy with your 6S and honestly would recommend anyone starting with the wet shaving save time and money and get either 6C or 6S.
Now to your question. If you are looking for a more efficient and closer shave you should look for an open comb razor such as Parker 24C/26C for example. If you want to go all the way to the top and get most efficient and closest shave possible you should look for the Slant head razors such as 37c/39c or Ikon X3 for example.
Now about expensive razors. Are they worth it? Yes for me but only if you are thinking such a way that you are not interested in buying things which are only will be sitting in the drawer, unless you are also a collector, and want best one you can afford. Both most popular companies, ATT and Timeless have a great 30 days trial period so you can decide for yourself if they are worth their money. You are paying for a quality of material and craftsmanship.
Do I have one? Yes I just got ATT slant head with Open comb S2 base plate and so far got 2 great shaves. Now I will have to do a few more shaves before I will decide if I will keep it. My main question is it worth for me spending 3 times more money for a stainless steel razor instead of an aluminum one so I will do 3 more shaves with the ATT with the different blades and then a couple of more with X3 so I can make the final decision but yesterday I had the best shave so far with ATT and Rockwell blade

Maybe if you want a little bit more aggressive and efficient go for an Fatip Piccolo or Grande.
I had one soo, but sold because it Was obsolete because of my Rex.
Fatip is made of brass and requires good technique...

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I own both a 6S and a Karve (SB and OC plates). I use the Rockwell R5 plate when I use it at all. The Karve has supplanted the Rockwell as my regular razor. Currently I am using the Open Comb "B" plate, and comparing with the "C" to see which I like better.

I would suggest you explore the Karve. Regardless of which type of plates you go for, you will be pleased with the results.

I feel qualified to answer as the 6S was my favorite razor for a long time and like you, I found the 3 plate to be a smooth delight! I haven’t used the razor since December as it was replaced by a Timeless.

I wrote an extensive review awhile back and made several references to the 6S as a comparison. You should be able to find it by searching “Timeless Razor Review”. Bottom line, I would highly recommend trying the Timeless Titanium safety bar in a .68 gap. I think it’ll suit you extremely well if in the budget. Nothing smoother in my opinion. If you want a similar weight, the Timeless Stainless .68 in safety bar will also be excellent.

As I upped my Rockwell plate to R6, and still wished for some add'l efficiency for fewer strokes/passes to get the perfect BBS without chasing it, the Karve and Timeless came on my radar. Owning all three, at the moment, here's my impression:

The Karve D plate, which was the highest plate offered when I purchased it, is slightly more efficient than the Rockwell R6, actually with a bit less blade feel, depending upon your shave angle with both. (Some like steeper, others more shallow, and they respond a bit differently). So ultimately, the Karve D has less blade feel, where you're not sure it just cut the whiskers at times, depending upon your blade choice.

My Timeless is a 95 OC in SS, and it is noticeably more efficient (or aggressive) than the Rockwell R6, the 68 head would most likely feel like an R2/R3, but remove whiskers like a R5/R6 Rockwell, depending upon if you go smooth, scalloped, or OC. Even my 95 OC is deceptively smooth for an OC with that much blade and gap.

My turn with the Rex Ambassador pass-around is finally approaching, so I'm eager to see how it compares with those three razors.

Others that while less efficient than my Timeless, but not by that much, are the Gillette New razors I found cheap on eBay. Once you get the light-touch down, I can get a great shave with my New LC or SC with little effort, with the smoothness of the Rockwell using the middle plates. - And I used to dislike the open combs, but after using the R6 and Timeless, I have a new found fondness for them.

I had the 6S and I got great shaves with it but I didn't like the bulky head. I got a Karve and after two weeks I sold the 6S. No bulky head and smoother and closer shaves with the D closed and the C open comb plates.

I'm using the Rex Ambassador in the passaround right now and can already tell it's a great razor. However, I can also already tell that neither it nor anything else I have tried can replace my 6S. And that is true despite the bulky head that @matwho and many others have mentioned. It combines good efficiency with outstanding smoothness, and is so easy to use it is nearly as hard to cut yourself with it as it is with a pivoting-head cartridge. I'd think only those with thick, tough beards who need even greater efficiency, or who have trouble shaving under the nose, are likely to be less than satisfied.

Anybody able to offer input about how about the RR Gamechanger .84 stands up against the Rockwell 6S/6C?

Anybody able to offer input about how about the RR Gamechanger .84 stands up against the Rockwell 6S/6C?
More maneuverable, better precision and build quality, fine shave, but nowhere near as smooth and much more blade feel for comparable efficiency. It's entirely a matter of personal taste, and I'm happy to have both.

Had the 6S for a year or two. Just recently sold it. I liked the 3 setting too.

But the Karve CB beat it out at every level, for me. Plus my .68 Timeless, my Fatips, and my UK aristocrats all became razors I reached for before the Rockwell.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I've got the 6c as well as the .68 and .84 GC plates, and the Progress. I have to say that out of those it's really a toss up on any given day as to which on I'd use, with the .68 being my last choice.

I have the 6S and use the 4 plate. It's a decent razor - but my Karve with a C or D plate is superior. The Timeless .68 SB also beats out the 6S, IMHO.

I've tried too many razors and none of them was as smooth as the Rockwell 6S. I have it in my rotation along with a couple of Wolfmans, but prefer the 6S so I use it more often than them.

If I had to choose between a Schick and the 6S, I'd choose... both, but talking about modern, 6S is my choice.

I find the .68 GC plate (which, I believe isn’t made anymore) to be quite similar to the 4 plate on the 6S. I pretty much use those two razors interchangeably as my daily drivers. I’d give the edge to the GC, as I find the knurling a bit more grippy, and the compact head is a bit more maneuverable. That being said, if I only had the 6S, and hadn’t ever tried the .68 GC, I’d still be happy.

Top Bottom