What's new

Question the difference.

I do not own a sport coat or a blazer or a suit, I know that's odd. Since I have lost a great deal of weight I want to get a coat.

Is there a difference between a sport coat and blazer? My niece is getting married next spring what would be the appropriate choice for a wedding?

A blazer has metal buttons and is usually a solid color (think golden buttons on a navy blazer) and a sport coat has regular (plastic, horn, whatever) buttons and is not necessarily a solid color. There may be more distinctions but those are two that come to mind. How formal is your niece's wedding? With weddings being everything from black tie affairs to cowboy boots and jeans we need a little more information.

To me a blazer has metal buttons and is flashier, while a sportcoat has wooden or plastic buttons and is more conservative in color.

As far as the wedding, it depends. If it is a big, formal do, I would be tempted to wear a suit.

You should get a suit. Since you've lost so much weight (congratulations!) get it properly tailored. You can wear the suit as intended, with dress shirt and tie, or if the wedding is more casual you can dress it down. It could be worn with dress shirt and no tie; if it's very casual you could wear the jacket with nice jeans.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is there a difference between a sport coat and blazer? My niece is getting married next spring what would be the appropriate choice for a wedding?

The terms nowadays are used often interchangeably and just about as often "incorrectly", but I'll spare you the half-hour history lesson, and just say that nowadays it basically boils down to fabric and button choice.

Navy blue fabric & brass/gold coloured buttons = Blazer
Not navy fabric & not brass buttons = sports coat.

(You occasionally find a blazer in black instead of navy blue. And you often find a "blazer" without the brass buttons, which is very versatile and good-looking, but it confuses people as to what to call it.)

The appropriate choice for the wedding depends on the formality of the wedding, and whether or not you will be in the "wedding party".

Navy blue fabric & brass/gold coloured buttons = Blazer
Not navy fabric & not brass buttons = sports coat.

Actually the first blazer (like the first tuxedo) was red.

As others have said - solid color and metal buttons is a blazer. It is considered dressier than a sportcoat (which was once actually worn during or after gentlemanly sports). A sportcoat does not have metal buttons and generally has a slightly more relaxed cut (due to its sport backround).

Top Bottom