What's new

Question RE: Kai Stainless Blades

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wouldn't be able to explain it in just so many words either but, for me, the difference was immediate and unmistakable. And just because you and I can't describe and/or quantify a difference doesn't mean a very real difference doesn't exist.

I was going to reply in this B&B thread but it's three and a half years old and I'm not sure how these forums feel about reviving old threads. Point being: [quoting from thread now] "... Have you compared the Kai to the BIC Chrome Platinum, Derby Extra (Pre-2016), Dorco ST300, Feather Hi-Stainless, Personna Red, and/or Personna Lab Blue?" Yes. Yes I have. And I will say with absolute certainty the Kai blade gave me a very different shaving experience than either of those blades (shown in bold). A few possible factors for why people feel the Kai is different are mentioned in that thread and I'm wondering if there isn't a synergy occurring with some of its design features giving us a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I dunno... And I don't mean to harp on this, but... Neither do I have anything else going on at the moment.. :001_smile

Exactly.

Kai are my most favorite DE blades. For me they are not only sharp and smooth, but also provide tons of tactile and auditory feedback as they cut. This feature gives me very advance notice that I’m about to do something that I might regret. I buy them in bulk packs of 200 blades at a time. The lack of branding and wax spots are just icing on the cake.

I can guarantee you will need to order them online. Nobody this side of Japan carries these in a brick-and-mortar store. I don't even think Pasteur's in NYC has them, although I'm not 100% sure on that one.
Maggard Razors stocks them 5 packs & 100

Second shave with the Kai blade this morning. Fantastic shave, no irritation no redness, super smooth all over. Maybe ten minutes later I'm on the couch with a cup of coffee.

The Spousal Unit sits down next to me, looks over, squints...
"You used that blade you were talking about the other day again, didn't you?"
"Yes..."
"I can tell."

I can guarantee you will need to order them online. Nobody this side of Japan carries these in a brick-and-mortar store. I don't even think Pasteur's in NYC has them, although I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I can think of one in Adrian, MI that carries them....

I never got irritation shave using a KAI blade. Yeah, never! Even when i was a newbie or i pressed on a razor. I guess that's because KAI polishes their blades on a cattle hide after blade edging. This removes all burrs after sharpening. It's the same as stropping for a straight razor. In addition to polished edges. The KAI blade starts relatively dull. But it sharpens quickly. You can read about their manufacturing process here: Manufacturing processes (RAZOR) | KAI FACTORY | KAI Group - https://www.kai-group.com/global/en/kai-factory/process/razor/.

Last edited:
So I just got done shaving with the Kai again, (shave #5 on this blade) and here's my dilemma: the shaves this blade delivers are the best I've had; they leave my face remarkably smooth. Problem is, they also leave my face feeling a little hot, maybe "raw" is a better word, immediately post-shave which I really do not like. It's not SO BAD, but it lasts a good hour or so after shaving. Using Nivea ASB seems to help but nothing in my current regime is taming this heat. I'd like to keep using the Kai blades and am wondering if this is technique related? Is there another AS that would better calm my skin? Waxing melodramitic for a moment, I feel I'm in an abusive relationship with the Kai; I love it, but it keeps hurting me.

So I just got done shaving with the Kai again, (shave #5 on this blade) and here's my dilemma: the shaves this blade delivers are the best I've had; they leave my face remarkably smooth. Problem is, they also leave my face feeling a little hot, maybe "raw" is a better word, immediately post-shave which I really do not like. It's not SO BAD, but it lasts a good hour or so after shaving. Using Nivea ASB seems to help but nothing in my current regime is taming this heat. I'd like to keep using the Kai blades and am wondering if this is technique related? Is there another AS that would better calm my skin? Waxing melodramitic for a moment, I feel I'm in an abusive relationship with the Kai; I love it, but it keeps hurting me.

You might try using a slightly more shallow angle (handle away from skin) and make your lather as slick as you can make it. And of course very little to no pressure. See if that helps.

I've been using Feather blades for the past many months, usually in a Fat Boy or Slim. I came across a tuck of Kai blades that I didn't realize I had, so I gave them a whirl. First shave was about a day and a half of growth. To my surprise, I had more weepers than with a fresh Feather, which surprised me and as Robert said, they seemed to be "loud" in use compared to my usual Feathers. Didn't feel quite as "smooth" but figured I'd give a second and third shave a try. Second shave was quite nice and the third was good too, although each felt a bit hot/raw as Wogus described.

For sure I'll use the remainder of them and enjoy it but like someone else mentioned, I have a pretty significant stash of Feather blades on hand and they always give me a buttery smooth two-pass shave with what seems like a little less "settle in" time.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've been using Feather blades for the past many months, usually in a Fat Boy or Slim. I came across a tuck of Kai blades that I didn't realize I had, so I gave them a whirl. First shave was about a day and a half of growth. To my surprise, I had more weepers than with a fresh Feather, which surprised me and as Robert said, they seemed to be "loud" in use compared to my usual Feathers. Didn't feel quite as "smooth" but figured I'd give a second and third shave a try. Second shave was quite nice and the third was good too, although each felt a bit hot/raw as Wogus described.

For sure I'll use the remainder of them and enjoy it but like someone else mentioned, I have a pretty significant stash of Feather blades on hand and they always give me a buttery smooth two-pass shave with what seems like a little less "settle in" time.
Kai should be a lot smoother right on the first shave, they are wider and depending on the razor you are using they can become a tad more aggressive. I use them in certain razors(not all) with stellar results & find them more forgiving then my sharper feathers in my RR GC .84 or RR SLOC with neutral to barley any blade exposure with those razors using a standard blade razor. Interesting how all of us think and feel the blade differently YMMV as the old saying goes.
Have some great shaves!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was going to reply in this B&B thread but it's three and a half years old and I'm not sure how these forums feel about reviving old threads.

If the thread is still open, feel free to reply to it. Thats why they're there.

Personally, I didnt like Kai blades much. They dont cut well for me. They also have a lot of 'bare blade' feel. I was very aware of the blade and I've used smoother blades but I liked how they felt. Sort of like an Astra SP or Nacet to me. I also appreciate the extra blade exposure they offer. If they cut better for me I'd use them more often but I needed four passes ATG to get the same BBS finish other blades give me in 1 to 1 1/2 ATG passes.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Blades are so personal. I use Kai's in my milder shavers like my Timeless SS SB .68 and Karve Brass SB Plate B. For me they make a difference in efficiency, YMMV. But, again, so personal. The first time I ever used a Feather, it was as if I had a sunburn where I shaved. I knew they weren't for me after that. My technique has improved quite a bit since that shave, but I still don't think I'd go back to them at this point. My razor blade stable is full.

Interesting how all of us think and feel the blade differently YMMV as the old saying goes.
It really is! I really enjoy having such great depth of experience and breadth of knowledge here on B&B but it's always important to bear in mind that everybody's technique, skin and beard are different.

Use what you love and love what you use! :redface-new:

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the feedback!

For myself, I'm not yet ruling out my experience with the Kai is technique related so I may come back to them in the future. I've had some bad shaving experiences over the past several days, though, so I'm going to shelve them for now and get back to a known-good routine to get my confidence level back up. I've learned it's surprisingly easy for me to convince myself I'm not applying pressure when in fact I am; and I have a sneaking suspicion the Kai, and possibly some other blades, are not so much to blame as they are shining a light on the fact that I'm using pressure/more pressure than I think I am. I don't know... It's either that, or the Kai and I simply don't make for a good combination. Time will tell I guess.

I tried one last night in my RR GC.84 SB, a great smooth shave, used a lot of care above my lip, no against the grain there. 3 pass everywhere else, BBS, this morning feels a little closer than a Feather or Nacent. If Kai's will last 3 or 4 shaves+ may purchase more, never see them on a sale, a little pricey.

Top Bottom