What's new

Question: OneBlade “Genesis” vs Focus “Dynamic R50 EVO”

Hello, and well wishes to you all!

Searching the forum for “oneblade” and “focus” and “dynamic,” I saw a few places where these were briefly mentioned in relation to each other. However, I was wondering about a more detailed analysis, hence:

Question - Aside from cost differences/considerations, how would you compare the OneBlade “Genesis” against the Focus “Dynamic R50 EVO" (their stainless steel version)? In what circumstances would you choose one over the other, or circumstances you would you recommend against use?

If there are any other experiences with these that you’d be up for sharing, that is welcome as well.

Disclaimer: I realize that half-DE razors are contested as SE razors, haha.

Thank you so much! Best regards your way

I have the Focus R48 (AL version), and it has the worst drag of any razor I have tried. The steel might be better.
Also, it's not easy to shave efficiently with.
Can't recommend it. For that money you can do MUCH better.

Haven't used the oneblade.

I think it was mainly the material (aluminum), but it was exacerbated by the head design and how the razor is supposed to be used. It was just awful overall. And it's not easy to use.

If you are dead set on using half DE blades (instead of using a DE razor) then I recommend the Twig razor. It's a great razor, it was my favorite for a long time.
I also have the Thorn, but the Twig is slightly better I think.

I shaved with the R48 and then the R50 for a long time. I found that it worked very well for me as a daily shaver; not so good if there was a few days growth.

I don't recall it feeling draggy. But there was definitely a unique approach required for it to be effective. One that was counter intuitive to normal DE shaving.

I eventually gave up on it because I got tired of the awkward blade loading. It always took me a few tries to get it lined up properly.

I shaved with the R48 and then the R50 for a long time. I found that it worked very well for me as a daily shaver; not so good if there was a few days growth.

I don't recall it feeling draggy. But there was definitely a unique approach required for it to be effective. One that was counter intuitive to normal DE shaving.

I eventually gave up on it because I got tired of the awkward blade loading. It always took me a few tries to get it lined up properly.
P.S. Have never tried a One Blade. Not really interested as the blades seem harder to come by and more expensive.

regardless, there are much better options out there

I eventually gave up on it

I really appreciate you two taking the time to get into the background of your assessments a bit more.

Due to it's pivoting head design, I have been wondering how comparable it is to other SE/half-DE razors (though, I don't really see it as directly comparable to something like the Leaf, since the head is much bigger). I haven't yet found a ton of detailed reviews, but your responses helped me contextualize them better. It seems like it's best suited to a very particular type of shaver. From what I'm understanding, however it stacks up against the OneBlade, it doesn't seem to be the best match for me.

Thank you so much!

I'm kind of late to the thread, but I'd thought I'd add my thoughts in case someone else would be looking, if not the OP.

I have a OneBlade Core, Focus R48, Leaf and Broman.
Out of these, I'd recommend them in this order: Leaf, R48, Broman and OneBlade Core.
With the Broman being out of production, I won't mention it further.
There are now an R48 Evo and R50 Evo and, AFAIK, they have replaced the non-Evo models, with the R48 Evo being reportedly more aggressive than its predecessor, and the R50 Evo being supposedly about the same as the old, non-Evo R48.

The Leaf consistently delivers the easiest shaves, and doesn't require a particular technique, unlike the R48 and the OneBlade. It's easier to load than the R48. Its size means that I have to shave horizontally under the nose, but it's never been an issue, and I have a large nose. Having said that, I only ever really use it with a single half-blade in it, because I find it to be just enough.

For best results, the non-Evo R48 and the OneBlade require me to put the back of the razor head to my skin first, and then just drag the razor across my skin to engage the pivot and then the razors do their thing well. It isn't intuitive, but pretty easy to get used to, at least for me. It basically means the handle needs to be perpendicular to the skin most of the time for me.
The R48 is for me a comfortable two to three pass shaver and I'm BBS on the flatter areas of my face, the OneBlade pretty much always needs at least three and I'm at just DFS level.

The varying blade longevity of the FHS-10 blades is an issue for me, I only get 1-2 shaves from a single blade. Despined GEM blades never really worked well for me in the razor - even though I snipped of pieces of them off to get it to match the FHS-10 more closely, they weren't really secure enough in there. The Kai Best blades that sort of fit the OneBlade are not really well suited for shaving, they feel pretty rough.
After I'll have used up my reserve of the FHS-10 blades, I'll probably dispose of the Core.

I've actually been keeping the R48 on standby for quick shaves, although I haven't used it in a while due to recent acquisitions and passarounds.

Top Bottom