What's new

Question on X Stroke

Hello Gents,

I'm new to SR shaving and about a month in. I now have the diamond pasted balsa strops and have used them through two full progressions to see if the shave can be improved. This is on my Spike 9/16 quarter-wedge razor. (or is it called quarter-hollow?)

When using the 0.1 strop, in the hanging position, do I do the X stroke in the hanging position or held horizontally in my hand? I've tried it both ways and the X stroke is very tough to do correctly in the hanging position.

Thanks for the help,

Al

I dunno what anyone else does, but I switch back to horizontal for these short, light strokes so that I can more easily see and manage the alternating angle of the blade to achieve what I imagine as a cross-hatch.

Hello Gents,

I'm new to SR shaving and about a month in. I now have the diamond pasted balsa strops and have used them through two full progressions to see if the shave can be improved. This is on my Spike 9/16 quarter-wedge razor. (or is it called quarter-hollow?)

When using the 0.1 strop, in the hanging position, do I do the X stroke in the hanging position or held horizontally in my hand? I've tried it both ways and the X stroke is very tough to do correctly in the hanging position.

Thanks for the help,

Al
I do it with the balsa held horizontally, but with an exceedingly light touch. Contrary to some of the Methodeers here I never found any benefit to holding the balsa in a hanging position but some people like to do it that way.

Here's a hint, if you kind of balance the balsa on your fingers in the center of the piece, like a see-saw, you can tell immediately if you're using too much pressure, because it will rock.

Also, agree with @haggis , alternating toe leading and heel leading is the way to go, it's a game-changer in terms of getting the edge comfortable for some reason.

I do those x-strokes with the balsa held vertically. But I cheat a bit by holding firmly at the top so that the strop isn't swinging freely. This probably means that I'm applying more pressure than I would if the balsa was dangling, so I'm always careful to use a very light touch.

Also, agree with @haggis , alternating toe leading and heel leading is the way to go, it's a game-changer in terms of getting the edge comfortable for some reason.
I’m going to try this. My X-strokes are all heel-leading and sometimes my balsa edges are harsh. Rarely on the first shave after a progression, the harshness usually shows up on the 2nd or 3rd shave when I’ve stropped on leather between shaves.

Go to a hobby store and buy a pied of 18-inch balsa for a couple bucks or cut a 3-inch strip from a cereal box, past the inside. Hold the cardboard or balsa on the edge of a bench and do an X stroke.

For hanging strops, with a 20-inch piece of para cord or a shoelace add a loop to your strop and loop around a doorknob. Open the door and the strop will be horizontal at waist level.

Top Bottom