What's new

Question on vintage Schick Plus Platinum blades

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have some of these, which I think are from the early 1970's. What is the difference between them and the ones below it? Are they fairly equivalent? Is one noticeably better than the other? I think the ones below are a little earlier, late 1960's perhaps.

The early ones don't tout teflon coating, but both are platinum coated stainless, apparently. The tops ones are super smooth, I can attest to that. Wondering about the earlier ones.

Thanks!

IMG_2630.jpg

early.JPG

I had to investigate this same question myself recently. The only difference is the packaging which will tell you the approximate date of manufacture.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just snagged about 120 blades of the bottom photo, hope they are as good as the ones I have now, with Teflon on the package, those are from the early 1970's according to your linked post.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
LOL! I'm the second poster in a 2014 thread on these,

I believe you will find it to be the single most comfortable blade you've ever tried. It is sharp enough but won't win contests for sharpest blade, to be sure, but comfy as it could possibly be. You should be able to get a week of shaves out of one. I got a couple hundred on eBay back about the time I started on the forum and use them for a treat now and then.

It seems to be the experience I am reliving now in the today's shave thread! They are "sharp enough" but the value proposition is they are

smooth.JPG

Yes very good blades and I've heard the earlier ones shave better although I've only used later versions.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I just finished shave #7 on a top packaged blade. I've used it a full week and gotten a super smooth shave from #1 through #7, first was as smooth as the second which is unusual. Most blades take a shave to "take the edge off" (I wonder if that's where that idiom came from?). And the seventh shave was as close as the first, got a DFS+, 9.5 / 10 this morning in my Merkur 34C.

I can't believe I forgot I had these for five years! I just reloaded some of the bottom packaging, so I have about 3 years worth of these assuming I use each for a full week. There is literally no current production blade that comes close to these for balance of efficiency and comfort.

If one of the Gillette plants could start producing these again, they could have the highest priced blade in current production, and would likely outsell the next three most expensive blades combined. If they were selling these at $60 per hundred, I'd buy them in a New York Minute.

I wonder why they don't? It's not like technology went backwards.

proxy.php

Top Bottom