What's new

Question on the new gillette DEs

I completely understand the bad taste gillette has left in everyone's mouth as of late, but having collected them fo so long I had to get the cased 3 piece (heritage) and the king C.

I tried searching but can't find the info.
Which head is believed to be on each of these razors?
Some are saying heritage is muhle r89 or EJ de89.
Are they both the same heads on the gillettes?
Thanks.

Last edited:
The KCG1 was a Muhle head with a stainless steel handle manufactured in the USA. The KCG2 looks like a Muhle cap but not sure where the plate came from; the handle is manufactured in China. Gillette have been very tight lipped on the manufacture of the KCG2 head.
Full discussion on the KCG2 in this thread; New King C. Gillette Safety Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-king-c-gillette-safety-razor.587624/
Kgc1 is the one I got in the case and the 3 piece right?
Screenshot_20200923-034327__01.jpg

And kgc2 is the one I just got at walgreens?
hc_1600773009074.jpg

I didn't know that's what people were calling them kcg1 and kcg2.

Correct, the KCG1 is the one in the presentation case.
Gillette never called it a "Heritage" razor but marketed it as a heritage inspired offering. The heritage inspiration is the stainless steel common bar handle and the Gillette logo on the case. It is a Muhle head which Gillette confirmed.
I call them KCG1 and KCG2 to differentiate two very similar products.

The heritage DE head was made by Mühle in Germany. The head of the King C. Gillette durgstore line DE is made in China as a kinda Merkur three piece closed comb knock-off.

Well that's sad.
At least the kcg1 used a muhle head and stainless handle.
But If I know all that about the kcg2 I may have still bought it but that's pretty crappy to go to China and blatantly rip off the EJ/muhle/merkur head design.
Unless the parents ran out that seems illegal :-/

The patents ran out years ago so no problem there. As far as the handle goes when I look down inside the one that came with my KCG1 I see yellow metal so I'm guessing mine at least is actually chrome plated brass.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Correct, the KCG1 is the one in the presentation case.
Gillette never called it a "Heritage" razor but marketed it as a heritage inspired offering. The heritage inspiration is the stainless steel common bar handle and the Gillette logo on the case. It is a Muhle head which Gillette confirmed.
I call them KCG1 and KCG2 to differentiate two very similar products.

Sir, do you (or anyone else) have any information if this so called Gillette Heritage inspired razor will be available again? Amazon declares that it is "out of stock" and they do not know if or when it will be back. Thank you.

No I don't.
I bought one when it was available incant remember when. But one theory is it won't be available again.
Interesting theory:
So they contracted with muhle for the heads and not sure about who for the handles.
The theory is it did so well that they exhausted what they committed to muhle to buy and now they are instead importing the new razor (called kcg2 here on the forums) with knockoff heads and handles to make more money once the interest was up from the heritage inspired razor.
This is the kcg2 razor if you didn't know. Available in many drug stores, at least here in US and in UK from what I've heard.
hc_1600773009074.jpg

The KCG1 seem to be very limited of late and I get the feeling production was limited; testing the DE market I think.
Since the KCG2 launch it seems the push is for sales of that razor as I am sure it is a cheaper product overall.
There is no presentation case and out sourcing of the handle to consider with the KCG2. It seems to be packaged for shelves in stores where the target buyer visits. There are also sales direct from Gillette online in various regions.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, I hope that what you have just declared is not true, or that Gillette will reconsider the whole matter. The Heritage inspired razor not only looks beautiful, but seems very solid and well built (not a surprise for a German head and a Stainless Steel US made handle).

The KCG2, on the contrary, appears to be a very cheap and poor option, honestly.

Kcg2 isn't bad. Although my experience with it is only the one shave. It's substantial in the hand.
I don't know about the half knurling yet.
Time will tell with it though.
Marco, I too hope we are wrong also, but gillette for the last year or 2 has made some very stupid decisions, so I wouldn't put it past them to get the hype of the kcg1 on places like this and then people get the kcg2 because the kcg1 isn't available to boost sales. Kind of a bait and switch.

The KCG2, on the contrary, appears to be a very cheap and poor option, honestly.
Setting aside the case for the KCG1, the head design is similar to the DE89 so I would not say the heads on both versions are a quality product; note brass threaded post on the caps. They have used a much cloned head design for re-entering the DE razor market.
The handle on the KCG2 seems to be a design to draw in the contemporary beard edgers, part time shavers and the DE community. It was always going to be a compromise as they said to Sharpologist, "The King C. Gillette product line was designed with the grooming needs of the 60% of men who choose to wear some kind of facial hair style in mind. Whether that be a mustache, full beard or something in between, King C. Gillette has the products and tools to meet their needs, including a shave & edging razor, the double edge razor, a trimmer, transparent shave gel, beard & face wash, beard oil and beard balm..."
The price of the product reflects the the market they were aiming for. They are also competing with the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO which is retailing in the stores at about the same price.
I would agree that the KCG2 handle is an ugly duckling. If you want to upgrade the handle there are many suppliers who have stainless steel handles to choose from.

Setting aside the case for the KCG1, the head design is similar to the DE89 so I would not say the heads on both versions are a quality product; note brass threaded post on the caps. They have used a much cloned head design for re-entering the DE razor market.
The handle on the KCG2 seems to be a design to draw in the contemporary beard edgers, part time shavers and the DE community. It was always going to be a compromise as they said to Sharpologist, "The King C. Gillette product line was designed with the grooming needs of the 60% of men who choose to wear some kind of facial hair style in mind. Whether that be a mustache, full beard or something in between, King C. Gillette has the products and tools to meet their needs, including a shave & edging razor, the double edge razor, a trimmer, transparent shave gel, beard & face wash, beard oil and beard balm..."
The price of the product reflects the the market they were aiming for. They are also competing with the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO which is retailing in the stores at about the same price.
I would agree that the KCG2 handle is an ugly duckling. If you want to upgrade the handle there are many suppliers who have stainless steel handles to choose from.
I have many maggard stainless handles. Wonder if the threads are the same or if they found a way to make it an odd thread so you have to use the handle. Some brands like fattip have weird threads

I have many maggard stainless handles. Wonder if the threads are the same or if they found a way to make it an odd thread so you have to use the handle. Some brands like fattip have weird threads
They have used the standard M5 x 0.8mm threads so most razor handles of recent manufacture will fit.

They have used the standard M5 x 0.8mm threads so most razor handles of recent manufacture will fit.
I just tried it. It works.
I also remembered that I have both taps for vintage Gillette and the modern merkur size.
You can get a brass automatic center punch from harbor freight, disassemble and remove punch and spring and run tap straight through the handle w/o having to drill and voila a big brass razor handle.
Did one for vintage and one for modern years ago. Taking time for everything to come back to me lol.
1600949555777363182276830253547.jpg

So one handle is m5x.8
Other is 10/32
I believe given that my new LC is 100 or so years old it's the 10/32. Nothing made a n america back then was metric.
The kcg1 (heritage) head is muhle so probably metric.
Can't be sure but the new razors besides a few like fattip are m5x.8
Older gillettes are 10/32
One will kind of fit on the other but not the other way around

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
So one handle is m5x.8
Other is 10/32
I believe given that my new LC is 100 or so years old it's the 10/32. Nothing made a n america back then was metric.
The kcg1 (heritage) head is muhle so probably metric.
Can't be sure but the new razors besides a few like fattip are m5x.8
Older gillettes are 10/32
One will kind of fit on the other but not the other way around
My EJ DE89 head will not fit the Heritage handle, but my Rockwell 10-32 head will. None of my other M5 X 0.8 threaded heads will fit the Heritage handle either.

Top Bottom