What's new

Question on storage

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi guys, dumb question here as I'm new to plugs and need some advice.
Several of the plug tobaccos I have ordered (Wessex Gold Brick and Curly Block and Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs) come not in a tin, but rather in a plastic bag/pouch.
I'm presuming that these bagged plugs need to be taken out of the bag and jarred for proper aging?
I don't want to jar them if they shouldn't be and I don't want to leave them bagged if they shouldn't be.
Little help?

The Salty Dogs pouch has a mylar layer, and in my experience it is suitable for long term storage. I store the pouches in an airtight container (they fit perfectly in a 5.56mm ammo can), and open it periodically to do a sniff test. Several years so far, not even a hint of an air leak.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Salty Dogs pouch has a mylar layer, and in my experience it is suitable for long term storage. I store the pouches in an airtight container (they fit perfectly in a 5.56mm ammo can), and open it periodically to do a sniff test. Several years so far, not even a hint of an air leak.
Thanks!
So, I'm thinking that I can just leave them in the pouch/bag and jar the bags.
I just didn't want to do that if leaving them in the bag might cause a problem.
Appreciate the quick response!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@Price @BanjoCowboyMartaTobes
or anyone else who might know of a reliable bag maker.

Where are you guys getting your bags?
I looked on Amazon, and everything I see is Made in China thin mylar with terrible reviews about pinholes and leakage.
The bags made in China are listed as 7 mil, but the fine print tells you that's the combined thickness, meaning 3.5 mil single wall thickness.

@Price @BanjoCowboyMartaTobes
or anyone else who might know of a reliable bag maker.

Where are you guys getting your bags?
I looked on Amazon, and everything I see is Made in China thin mylar with terrible reviews about pinholes and leakage.
The bags made in China are listed as 7 mil, but the fine print tells you that's the combined thickness, meaning 3.5 mil single wall thickness.
I don't use bags in general. I think the original packaging for Salty Dogs and Esoterica products get the job done. If you are looking for an additional "insurance" layer, I would maybe look at an emergency supply or food storage specialty site. If you're taking it out of the pre-packaging, I would lean toward jars.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My plan is to put the pouches in jars, and put my square tins in bags.
Thanks guys, appreciate the willingness to help!

I'm with Price on the Salty Dogs. I just keep the pouches in a sealed container. Gold Brick is a different story. I got some recently and the "packaging" was an abomination. Jar that stuff up fairly quickly.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm with Price on the Salty Dogs. I just keep the pouches in a sealed container. Gold Brick is a different story. I got some recently and the "packaging" was an abomination. Jar that stuff up fairly quickly.
Thank you.
Yep, the gold brick and the Salty Dogs is jarred, I left them in the original packaging, just put them in jars and sealed them.
I'll do the same with the Curly Block when it arrives.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My project for today.
Date all of my un-jarred tobacco, and put the rectangular tins in mylar and the bagged tobacco into jars.

20220707_082445[1].jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Have everything I can date dated. I have 18 tins that I have been unable to date due to no code being present.
These include:
Hearth and Home (dist. by Meier and Dutch)
Warhorse (dist. by Meier and Dutch)
Missouri Meerschaum (dist. by Meier and Dutch)
John Cotton (dist. by Sutliff)
Uno (dist. by Sutliff)
Cobblestone (dist. by Tobacco Pipes Distribution)
Dan Tobacco

I vacuum seal Mylar bags that are not jarred. Mostly just to keep them air tight. If a vacuum bag leaks I just run it through the food saver again.

0708220949.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My project for today.
Date all of my un-jarred tobacco, and put the rectangular tins in mylar and the bagged tobacco into jars.

View attachment 1484157
If you're already heat sealing into mylar, why not mylar up the bagged tobacco too? If the factory bags are not too big, you can use resealable bags for whenever you get around to cracking the heat seals.

Mason jars are great (still my favorite). But they do add a lot of weight, which in a large cellar requires a little more management.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you're already heat sealing into mylar, why not mylar up the bagged tobacco too? If the factory bags are not too big, you can use resealable bags for whenever you get around to cracking the heat seals.

Mason jars are great (still my favorite). But they do add a lot of weight, which in a large cellar requires a little more management.
In some cases, I'll have no other choice! The Kendal Plug and the Wessex Curly Block are too big to put in a jar unless I cut them down, which isn't something I want to do ahead of time.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
In some cases, I'll have no other choice! The Kendal Plug and the Wessex Curly Block are too big to put in a jar unless I cut them down, which isn't something I want to do ahead of time.

If it makes you feel any better, I have quite a few SG/GH tins that are probably going to have to go into Mylar later this summer.

The newer they are, the worse they seep. Even though two layers of premium freezer storage bags, my nose tells me they are slowly unsealing. With those tins, Mylar is easier than packing them all into jars.

The MB square tins still require a crowbar to unseal. Those I would not worry about so much.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If it makes you feel any better, I have quite a few SG/GH tins that are probably going to have to go into Mylar later this summer.

The newer they are, the worse they seep. Even though two layers of premium freezer storage bags, my nose tells me they are slowly unsealing. With those tins, Mylar is easier than packing them all into jars.

The MB square tins still require a crowbar to unseal. Those I would not worry about so much.
Yeah, the Gawith stuff is absolutely getting sealed up. I just got bags yesterday, so probably today or tomorrow.
I'm picking up some adhesive labels today.

Top Bottom