What's new

Question on storage

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
In some cases, I'll have no other choice! The Kendal Plug and the Wessex Curly Block are too big to put in a jar unless I cut them down, which isn't something I want to do ahead of time.
I forgot to mention, for those big items and larger quantities, Mylar bags up to 5 gallons in capacity are available.

But any tobacco quantity short of a leaking 14 oz tub should fit in a one gallon bag.

+1 for the Mylar bags. Here’s one of my “deep cellar” storage tubs, for the long haul:

2DE4D3C9-5ABF-4001-8E16-ACB91CA8D1E7.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I forgot to mention, for those big items and larger quantities, Mylar bags up to 5 gallons in capacity are available.

But any tobacco quantity short of a leaking 14 oz tub should fit in a one gallon bag.

:w00t: I have the one gallon bags. I figured a little too big was better than a little too small!
They're certainly big enough, I could put the tobacco in a mylar bag, put that mylar bag in a jar, and put the jar in a mylar bag :lol1:

Hey, all -

I have quite a few tins of Peterson tobacco now, and I'm noticing that I can smell the tobacco through the sealed tin. Does this mean that a new/sealed tin is not sufficient for long-term storage? Do you guys seal unopened Peterson tins in mylar/vacuum seal/airtight containers/etc for long term storage?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hey, all -

I have quite a few tins of Peterson tobacco now, and I'm noticing that I can smell the tobacco through the sealed tin. Does this mean that a new/sealed tin is not sufficient for long-term storage? Do you guys seal unopened Peterson tins in mylar/vacuum seal/airtight containers/etc for long term storage?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Is it the ones with Latakia? I haven’t bought any new Peterson for a while, but unless the vacuum is compromised on them I don’t bag the tins.

I opened a 7 year old tin of FVF and there was considerable tobacco staining that went from inside the tin, over the seal and to the outside, yet the tin still had vacuum. My take is the seals on the tins allow oils through so you can smell them, yet the seal is still good. It takes time for the oils to migrate, so older tins have more smell than newer tins. Latakia is especially strong, and just a little bit is enough be noticable.

That being said, if you have any reservations at all, it is best to mylar bag suspect tins if you plan on feel cellaring them.

The above is purely conjecture, and I won’t know if I’m wrong or right until a few more decades when I finally crack those tins. Good luck ;).

Last edited:
I opened a 7 year old tin of FVF and there was considerable tobacco staining that went from inside the tin, over the seal and to the outside, yet the tin still had vacuum. My take is the seals on the tins allow oils through so you can smell them, yet the seal is still good. It takes time for the oils to migrate, so older tins have more smell than newer tins. Latakia is especially strong, and just a little bit is enough be noticable.

Thanks, this is reassuring. I think I'm going to trust the seals and see how it goes. :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a cabinet full of sealed tins of all makes and varieties. When you walk in the room, you can smell tobacco.
When you open the cabinet doors it's STRONG.
I don't think a massive amount of seals have failed, I think it's just as Kentos says. A little oil seeps - just enough to smell, but that the seals are probably fine.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks, this is reassuring. I think I'm going to trust the seals and see how it goes. :)

So I went to check some tins since, well, you got me paranoid lol. The ones I checked have the caved in tops and bottoms from vaccum pressure, and when squeezed there is no flex. My tin of Penzance is nice and tight, but heck it almost smells like an open tin would.

I check seals at least once a year. The latkakia box always smells like latakia. Never a broken seal.

Just inspect your tins occasionally. Tins can compromise over time.

Just received (10) samples from Peretti, each one is in their plastic bag. What about leaving in the bags and storing in a quart jar?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just received (10) samples from Peretti, each one is in their plastic bag. What about leaving in the bags and storing in a quart jar?
You mean separately or all togther?
You'll likely get some melanging/smell sharing if you store them together.
I use small 4oz jars to keep small quantities separate.

I've got (5) 1 oz bags of burley and (5) 1 oz bags of english. Burley in a jar, english in a jar. May take a while to sample all, will look for some small jars.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If they're small samples, I'll often put several bags in a large quart size mason jar if they're things I'm going to smoke through and not store. I will try to keep them like-with-like--aros in one jar, englishes in another, virginias and VaPurs in another.

If they're small samples, I'll often put several bags in a large quart size mason jar if they're things I'm going to smoke through and not store. I will try to keep them like-with-like--aros in one jar, englishes in another, virginias and VaPurs in another.
I went ahead and bought some small glass jars, they work great.

Top Bottom