What's new

Question on interesting straight razor

I recently obtained an older Filarmonica straight razor that I thought was in pretty good condition. I cleaned it up as best as I could and removed all the rust and honed it all up. Tried it this morning with pretty good results. I had a little irritation to the left and right of my adams apple but that can be normal for me. I guess my question I have is this a true filarmonica? The reason I ask is that it seems different than the ones I normally see around in the SOTD pics.

If anyone is interested I honed it up on a naniwa 1k chosera followed by a 4k fuji and then a jnat with Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiro and Tomo nagura using two slurrys each. Finished it up with multiple passes on plain water and stropped it over 60 times.

One weird thing I have never run across is that this blade seems longer than any other I have used or seen. It is at least 3.5 inches long and it took me for a loop on my 3 inch strop. Nicked my favorite strop when I was trying to do x strokes though not too bad, was able to sand it out so it’s not noticeable. Let me know your thoughts.

1570212208258.png

Going slow is the best advice anybody can give. I have also instead of going perpindicular to the strop, gone slightly askew to it so that the shave edge is on the strop while moving the blade parallel like normal. Slow and stready saves the strop tho.

Larry

Flipping the edge over the spine at the end of each stroke and going slow as @Njguy1977 said will help prevent nicks. You will become more confident and be able to strop faster without nicking the strop in time, just don't rush it.

No X strokes that cover the entire length of the edge. I go straight back and forth with a very slight X stroke. While stropping, I kind of walk the razor from heel to toe and then back.

Dam guys, from your pictures I think I need to up my game and polish my razor alot more. All I did was clean up the rust spots, polish it up a little but and honed it so I could shave with it.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate the feedback.

Legion

Staff member
Dam guys, from your pictures I think I need to up my game and polish my razor alot more. All I did was clean up the rust spots, polish it up a little but and honed it so I could shave with it.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate the feedback.
That's mostly all I do when I find an old razor. Clean off any active rust, sanitise it, and hone it. I don't mind a bit of patina on things that are old.

It’s a gen 1 Filly, and the box appears to be original.

View attachment 1024488
It looks fantastic, seriously, how expensive was it? I've got into straight razor shaving around half a year ago and bought myself a A.P. Donovan Straight Razor based on this guide https://www.paramountind.com/best-straight-razors-for-beginners/, and while it is very comfortable to shave, it still misses the classy look of old razors. Did you get cuts in the beginning? I've got light wound first time when I tried because I took the wrong angle, but now I'm a lot better at it.

I believe cost is something that is not allowed in these forums, I'm still pretty new here. I can't speak to the other posts here with prettier razors than mine but I got mine a lot less than the going rate for a filly on the bay. I love the way it shaves, it’s the heavies razor I have and it mows down whiskers with ease. I also got a few cuts when I first started, chin, side by the ear, but they healed and I learned a lot. Still get a weeper every so often but that is my fault for rushing things. Patience and practice is what it takes. Keep at it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I believe cost is something that is not allowed in these forums, I'm still pretty new here. I can't speak to the other posts here with prettier razors than mine but I got mine a lot less than the going rate for a filly on the bay. I love the way it shaves, it’s the heavies razor I have and it mows down whiskers with ease. I also got a few cuts when I first started, chin, side by the ear, but they healed and I learned a lot. Still get a weeper every so often but that is my fault for rushing things. Patience and practice is what it takes. Keep at it.

Here's the relevant TOS rule.

7. B&B is not an appraisal site. All B&B members, asking and answering, new or old, should be aware that B&B is a community of users. We appreciate the collection of wetshaving gear for it's form and function, and valuation of said gear is acceptable provided your sole intent is not resale. Any member which uses B&B as their value and/or identification service with intent to profit will have their membership removed. Any thread that asks for value or identification may be deleted at the sole discretion of the moderator team.

I don't always understand the exact meaning of things I read and I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't have commented on the razor's value or price or cost.

I know members have posted what they paid for razors.

Conversations (PMs) are private. Some gentlemen prefer to speak about some matters privately.

Just my two cents of course. If there's another relevant TOS I missed it. Don't think I'm any sort of expert on this 'cause I'm just not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Well, you can’t appraise a specific razor, but you can discuss pricing in general. Most 14, or 7/8 razors if they’re a respected brand in mint or NOS shape can easily bring $450~ish, especially if the model is desirable like a Filarmonica Sub Cero, Especial, or Novodur. That’s generally true of the German branded 14s also, Bartmann, Dorko, Henckles Friodur, etc. Rarer 7/8 razors in tortoise or ivory can bring 50% more depending on the brand and model, like the big Heljestrands. Razors get a lot cheaper as you move down in blade width, maybe knock off $150-200 going to a 6/8. Remember this is for NOS or mint razors that you don’t have to wait for, like a known dealer or respected eBay seller. I don’t remember what I paid for that one, but I’m guessing that it was in the $275 range as it was used when I bought it, not mint but in quite good condition with little wear as you can see, and the graphics are in good, but not mint condition.

i did not get cuts with remaining marks when learning to shave with a straight razor, but I did draw blood a few times learning the muscle memory not to allow lateral (slicing) movement of the blade, or coming in too steep and fast.

Advice to minimize the hurt: keep the blade near flat on your face, keep the strokes short, use very light pressure, and keep the lather wet. You can’t push very hard on a straight while shaving or while honing it, if you do bad things will happen. IOW, if it isn’t shaving well you have to hone it not push harder.

hope this helps!

Here's the relevant TOS rule.

I don't always understand the exact meaning of things I read and I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't have commented on the razor's value or price or cost.

I know members have posted what they paid for razors.

Conversations (PMs) are private. Some gentlemen prefer to speak about some matters privately.

Just my two cents of course. If there's another relevant TOS I missed it. Don't think I'm any sort of expert on this 'cause I'm just not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Forum police [emoji2962][emoji44][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe cost is something that is not allowed in these forums,

You are allowed to say what you paid for it without any problem, But you cannot ask the value of said razor or is it worth this amount as that could go 2 ways. IE: trying to find out what it is worth for resale. would you pay £25 that is also not allowed.

But if you said you paid say £20 for it that's fine as a razor is worth what your willing to pay.

I try not to then it covers ones back

Last edited:
Top Bottom