What's new

Question on Gillette New SC and Techs. Similar Stainless Steel options?

Are there any newly manufactured Stainless Steel DE razors that are about the same as the Gillette NEW SC? How about the 1940s Gillette Tech?
Not going to buy tomorrow, but would like to gather input as my Wedding Anniversary is in March. Not that I need another razor now. Not that they need replacing. Not that I like warren holes. Or do I? :thumbup:
I really like those two.

What you have now is prettier than any stainless steel modern DE, IMHO. It is like that first girl/boy friend, which gives you confidence, and you than you wonder what else is out there, but you always have a special place in your heart for that first one. Than you go on a long and expensive search trying to replace him/her but you just can never match that first. Save your time and money and be happy with what you got. You could always get them plated to make them new again.

Sorry for not answering your question, just a different perspective based on my recent experiences with the quest for the one (razor). Happy TGIF and anniversary.

Nothing against stainless, but another option, for less money, would be to get a NEW short comb or a Tech, and have it replated. Brand new razor.
I’ve done this exactly. Then got over having something be “new” and appreciated amazing condition cheap finds.

A good option would be to contact back roads gold directly and get it through him so you don’t have to deal with shipping multiple times.

Like others said, the Feather ASD2 is basically a Tech clone, which some people find nearly as good as the original and if that's true, then why bother paying over $200. About the SC, I think the closest things are some of the Ikon open comb razors that they have.

lasta

Blade Biter
Techs (and News) are great razors. A lot were inspired by them, but none copied their perfection.

I found the ASD2 milder than Techs.

Wolfman OC comes close in terms of SC aesthetics, but those are high gap steep scrapers...No first hand experience, but that was enough to deter me for now.

I think the best options you have - without exactly answering your question - is to get more Techs and NEWs! Lots of variations available and most are made of durable brass or steel. And if looks are a factor replating by Chris makes any vintage look amazing.

Cheers,

Guido

What you have now is prettier than any stainless steel modern DE, IMHO. It is like that first girl/boy friend, which gives you confidence, and you than you wonder what else is out there, but you always have a special place in your heart for that first one. Than you go on a long and expensive search trying to replace him/her but you just can never match that first. Save your time and money and be happy with what you got. You could always get them plated to make them new again.

Sorry for not answering your question, just a different perspective based on my recent experiences with the quest for the one (razor). Happy TGIF and anniversary.
Totally agree. I found this New SC for $50 and I can't tell it from new. Beautiful razor that shaves great

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
Thank you very much gentlemen. I believe I will take the general consensus to heart, and enjoy what I have. Maybe purchase another NEW SC to have it plated. Hats off to reason. 👍👍

Oh yeah, is "Chris" the man who runs the Back Roads Gold shop?

Buy a metal pen for an old Gillette. Stainless steel razors are as treacherous as snakes, often providing a soft shave but also sharp bites. Probably all because of tight tolerances. But the face is not a perfectly smooth surface for polishing. That and often there can be a lot of blood, I'm not sure what exactly you need for your wedding anniversary.

Top Bottom