What's new

Question on cross draw holsters

During a recent conversation with a coworker we drifted on to the subject of carrying a weapon. He knows I have a ccw and asked me how I carry my edc. I explained that I have a Vedder holster that I use for my pistol. He then questioned as to how I holster the pistol. I said on my right side which is my dominate hand. He told me that his son in law is in the military and he feels that the only safe way to carry is cross draw. In all the years that I have been around LEO and military the only time I have seen cross draw is for a backup or shoulder holster. Every LEO I have ever encountered has their weapon on the side of their dominate hand. Am I missing something here, or is his son in law off base?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Every LEO I have ever encountered has their weapon on the side of their dominate hand. Am I missing something here, or is his son in law off base?

On duty it was always dominate side. For civilian it is usually personal preference. Cross draw is easier when you are sitting down. If cross draw is what someone likes, go for it. I like carrying larger revolvers cross draw. Ruger old model .41 mag. and an El Paso Saddlery 1920 Cross draw.

1619468163166.png

Most everything else is strong side. Colt Officers model in an old El Paso Saddlery Street Combat.

1619468323896.png

His son in law isn't off base, he just has a different opinion on carrying.
As simon1 pointed out, cross draw does work better when seated. But I personally am not a fan of moving my pistol to different holsters to address every physical position I'm in throughout my day. I have one crossdraw holster; never use it. Thought I might, but I don't.
I do know that ALL the handgun training courses I've looked into in my area specifically prohibit crossdraw holsters from being used.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I do know that ALL the handgun training courses I've looked into in my area specifically prohibit crossdraw holsters from being used.

Could that be due to the liability for the range with the muzzle from a cross draw sweeping other people on the firing line during the draw? :)

Then there is the school of thought that you sweep your support arm during the draw.

Then there is the school of thought that a cross draw is more vulnerable to a gun grab from the front.

Yada, yada, yada. Just don't be a dumba## and things should be fine. Some detectives carry cross draw, but there are Dept. regs. and uniform requirements to follow, that I don't have to do anymore. I still ccw carry at about 4:30-5:00 though. Just me.

Absent very specific circumstances where the carrier is sitting the bulk of the day ( a cashier, someone working at a bench etc.), it is less than ideal. Absent significant practice, when drawing (presenting) the weapon from a cross draw, there is an increased likelihood that the muzzle will be covering something you are not willing to destroy and/or pay for. I suspect, though I have never tested it on an electronic timer, crossdraw is slower than presenting from the centerline or dominant side with the dominate hand presuming the same level of concealment.

I acknowledge that there may be people with certain body types and/or medical conditions which prevents one from carrying center line ( appendix carry) or along and/or behind the hip on the dominant hand side such that cross draw may be a more viable choice.
i.e. rotator/shoulder issues.

I heard a story of a federal agent who used to carry in a cross draw because he spent an inordinate amount of time surveling folks from a seated position in an automobile. He is confronted by a large 3rd party demanding to know his business. The agent gets out of the car. Fistacuffs ultimately ensure to the point where the is in fear of grievous bodily injury or death. I am told he had significant difficulty presenting the weapon against a bear hug, pick up and drop on his head maneuver by the inquisitor because of the amt of "traversing" needed to get the gun in play. The story was told to me by an agent who chose a shoulder holster v. a belt line cross draw for similar reasons as agent 1.

YMMV Greatly.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
On duty it was always dominate side. For civilian it is usually personal preference. Cross draw is easier when you are sitting down. If cross draw is what someone likes, go for it. I like carrying larger revolvers cross draw. Ruger old model .41 mag. and an El Paso Saddlery 1920 Cross draw.

View attachment 1258124

Most everything else is strong side. Colt Officers model in an old El Paso Saddlery Street Combat.

View attachment 1258127

Could that be due to the liability for the range with the muzzle from a cross draw sweeping other people on the firing line during the draw? :)

Then there is the school of thought that you sweep your support arm during the draw.

Then there is the school of thought that a cross draw is more vulnerable to a gun grab from the front.

Yada, yada, yada. Just don't be a dumba## and things should be fine. Some detectives carry cross draw, but there are Dept. regs. and uniform requirements to follow, that I don't have to do anymore. I still ccw carry at about 4:30-5:00 though. Just me.

Good advice doesn’t get any better than this. Great posts Mike!

And your Colt and El Paso set up looks awesome! :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
And your Colt and El Paso set up looks awesome! :)

You should order you one for your Springfield. I believe the EPS wait time, due to the virus, has went back to normal now. The extra fancy floral carved ones, with the dyed background, are expensive but will last for generations. That one of mine is about 30 years old and has been used quite a bit.

You said the Springfield ran 100% with the Wilson mags., huh? I've not tried any, but the Chip McCormick mags. are supposed to be excellent also. Although I did see that Wilson owns McCormick now, so it may be a little redundant.

OkieStubble

You should order you one for your Springfield. I believe the EPS wait time, due to the virus, has went back to normal now. The extra fancy floral carved ones, with the dyed background, are expensive but will last for generations. That one of mine is about 30 years old and has been used quite a bit.

You said the Springfield ran 100% with the Wilson mags., huh? I've not tried any, but the Chip McCormick mags. are supposed to be excellent also. Although I did see that Wilson owns McCormick now, so it may be a little redundant.

Is your holster boned to the gun?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is your holster boned to the gun?

Not that one. They don't hand bone their stamped or engraved holsters. But the stamped and engraved ones are so tight when you get them that the gun pretty much settles into its own nest after break in. They ain't Kydex. :)

OkieStubble

Not that one. They don't hand bone their stamped or engraved holsters. But the stamped and engraved ones are so tight when you get them that the gun pretty much settles into its own nest after break in. They ain't Kydex. :)

I really like the strap and snap between the frame and hammer. I’ll get on their website tonight and look around.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I really like the strap and snap between the frame and hammer. I’ll get on their website tonight and look around.

That's the old "Street Combat" design. The new ones with that moniker have friction retention. The one I got for my Colt Cobra with the thumb break was a Tortilla.

I also like the thumb break strap between the hammer and frame of a 1911. Just in case.

Just look around and see what current production ones you like. The ones Tim puts up look great also.

I will differ- he's off base, unless 90% of your time is spent seated in a car and you anticipate firing through the drivers' side window. In pretty much every other scenario it is far less than optimal.

Face to face, the draw is profoundly broadcast and very easy to snafu.

An opponent hitting you on your dominant side gains substantial control of your access, and your weapon is actually easier for them to gain, in the FUT.

Rear assault is challenging, as noted above.

Generally, as far as access and weapon control on presentation, carry locations from best to worst, are:

Appendix
Dominant side (3-4 or 8-9 o'clock)
Crossdraw/Shoulder holster
Small of Back

Top Bottom