What's new

Question on A/S mix

I'm still fairly new to wetshaving, and I wanted to get a sense of how to mix up the post-shave product...

I generally use coral skin food followed with Taylor's Eton College or Musgo A/S

OR Proraso balm, followed up with Proraso A/S

Am I gilding the lily? (note: "lily" refers to shave, not face:smile: )

Also, I recently purchased some Thayers rose & lavender witch hazel... how do you folks work those into the morning routine?

Thanks!

Josh

Josh,

You have some nice products there--bravo!

I use the Thayers as my first step after the cold water rinse--first I dry my face by patting with a towel, then apply the Thayers with an atomizer, just a few spritzes.

From there I apply my after shave du jour--the Proraso is particularly nice this time of the year. You could use any of those products at this point, and they'd work great.

And enjoy!

Hi Josh, I am also a Thayer's fan. My first step after the cold rinse is the styptic pencil. I usaully use it whether I think I need it or not. I rinse it off though as it begins to dry. I then pat my face dry and pour some WH in my hands and massage it into my skin. It feels pretty good and gives me a further indication of where I did well and where I did not (the styptic being the 1st indicator). I then apply some aloe or moisturizer if needed depending on season and locaiton.
Cheers,
Jeff

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm a Thayer's guy, as well.

I'd only change two things that you mentioned. First, using Proraso's pre/post and the crema liquida is a bit redundant. Either alone should suffice. Secondly, try applying the skin food after the Musgo (splash?). It's great for sealing in all that yummy goodness.:tongue_sm

Thanks for the tips. Ouch: I don't use pre/post (yet!) -- I meant the splash and the crema liquida. Skin food after? I'll give that a shot tomorrow... if I'm awake enough to do it! :biggrin:

Josh

I find that after the cold splash, I blot the face with a towel, than splash on TN Dickinson Witch Hazel. Then I immediately splash/smear whatever I'm using that day as an aftershave.

This practice will make the application of a balm, skin food, or lotion easier and will also leave your face less gummy/sticky (which was a common occurrence for me in the warmer weather). In addition to ease of application, it will also make a smaller quantity of the balm cover the entire mug.

TraderJoe said:
I find that after the cold splash, I blot the face with a towel, than splash on TN Dickinson Witch Hazel. Then I immediately splash/smear whatever I'm using that day as an aftershave.

This practice will make the application of a balm, skin food, or lotion easier and will also leave your face less gummy/sticky (which was a common occurrence for me in the warmer weather). In addition to ease of application, it will also make a smaller quantity of the balm cover the entire mug.
This is the same process that I use and have enjoyed the results of it.

Don't forget the alum block.... jmhAZ, have you tried it? It might obviate the need for the styptic pencil routine---and it's so pleasant...

Leisureguy said:
Don't forget the alum block.... jmhAZ, have you tried it? It might obviate the need for the styptic pencil routine---and it's so pleasant...

I have and agree it is a more pleasant product to use. I use the styptic the same way most use the alum. It seems to be a bit stronger. If I wash it off before it drys it is also a bit soothing. I know this sounds crazy but I liken the experience to using an alcohol-basesd A/S. There is a bite up front but it is soothing thereafter.

Lately I haven't had much sting register from the styptic. This is likely the result of my giving up on that last little bit of stubble on my neck. I may end up skipping the styptic and going straight to the WH in the near future. Lately I've been following up the WH with Harris milk which is incredibly soothing and mildly bracing. I've considered that the styptic has become redundant. Perhaps tomorrow I'll eliminate this step and see how it goes.
Cheers,
Jeff

Top Bottom