What's new

Question: installing Hart scales

Hi all,

I would like to attempt to install Hart scales on an old straight razor.
Hart scales don't require insert, it's one piece and uses hex nut soon no hammering, but it requires a wider hole in the razor, so I need to drill through steel.

I saw on youtube a video dedicated to spot annealing
which says I can hit a part of razor which need to be drilled with the torch,
and then this particular area became sellable and I can use cobalt drill bit to extend the hole.

Does somebody tried it ? Beyond extending the hole in a razor, which most likely a bigger part of work, any other obstacles I might face in this task?
Thanks a lot in arcane.

I am an amateur machinist and do a bit of annealing, hardening tempering as well as lots of drilling and cutting operations on different types of steals. Your spot annealing will work, but for a one off hole I would use a small carbide burr and use that to drill the hard steel. Carbide drills are available as well, but they are much more expensive and brittle enough that they require a good drill press and lots of rigidity in the set up. A small carbide burr is cheap and will have no trouble with the steel.

Brianskeet, thanks so much for your advice. I justtook a look on carbid burrs ( I'll need one which will extend existing smaller hole to 3/16" one). I have a good DeWalt drill and if I understand you correctly I'll not be neering a torch for spot annealing. What's about a drill press? I don't have one and cheap presses like40-60$ have bad reviews. Can jextend the whole without drill press?
Bes regards and thanks

Brianskeet, thanks so much for your advice. I justtook a look on carbid burrs ( I'll need one which will extend existing smaller hole to 3/16" one). I have a good DeWalt drill and if I understand you correctly I'll not be neering a torch for spot annealing. What's about a drill press? I don't have one and cheap presses like40-60$ have bad reviews. Can jextend the whole without drill press?
Bes regards and thanks
I would prefer a Dremel to a drill, but only because of the speed it provides. A drill will get it done just fine. The burrs are tough enough to handle the vibration that the carbide drill bits can't. Clamp the tang as rigidly as you can and then just start slow. The more rigidity you can achieve in your set up the nicer the final hole will be. No drill press needed. Use a burr with a nice rounded tip so it will self center on the existing hole and open it up.

Should have added... Carbide loves speed more than torque so once you get started max out the speed on your drill and don't push to hard.

I’m going to be the voice of dissension here, Hart scales are not worth drilling out the tang on any blade. They’re very functional but cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianskeet, thanks a lot for these clarifications, it'svery helpful.

Doc226, when you say Hart scale are cheap, is it their price ( indeed they are not expensive), or their quality? They looks OK tome and the razor I plan to install ilthem on is not a fancy one, about 40$. On the picture they looks OK, just a piece of wood. Do they break easily? Oort any other issues? Any recommendations for decent non expensive scales? Can I use Hart screws on other non Hart scales? Iguess I just need to widen the hole in scales that's it.

Brianskeet, thanks a lot for these clarifications, it'svery helpful.

Doc226, when you say Hart scale are cheap, is it their price ( indeed they are not expensive), or their quality? They looks OK tome and the razor I plan to install ilthem on is not a fancy one, about 40$. On the picture they looks OK, just a piece of wood. Do they break easily? Oort any other issues? Any recommendations for decent non expensive scales? Can I use Hart screws on other non Hart scales? Iguess I just need to widen the hole in scales that's it.

I think they are cheap in price and quality. They feel like popsicle sticks, very light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old school Hart razors were very utilitarian and very decent razors, not overly beautiful but very functional and scales mass produced as they were designed to be swapped out on their razors easily but as far as reworking another razor to fit scales from a Hart unless the razor is cheap or just a project you want to attempt as @Doc226 advised not worth the investment

Lots of hate thrown around for Hart now because they let there quality go, but I have nothing but good things to say about mine that I bought years ago. One in horn, one in rosewood and one in a spalted maple. The screw attachment for the scales is brilliant in my opinion. Practical, and adjustable. The vast majority of folding knives made now use screws instead of pins which I find to be just as good an idea. They will never look antique with screws, but I don't hold that against them.
P1090017.JPG

Top Bottom