What's new

Question from a Bialetti newbie..

Hello all. I just ordered a Bialetti Moka espresso stovetop pot. It’s a 3 cup. I was wondering what type of coffee I should try first? I am looking forward to being able to have espresso, americano, cappuccino or whatever else I can do with it. I was told by my Italian neighbors/friends to try something called Medaglia?? Just looking for pointers. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all. I just ordered a Bialetti Moka espresso stovetop pot. It’s a 3 cup. I was wondering what type of coffee I should try first? I am looking forward to being able to have espresso, americano, cappuccino or whatever else I can do with it. I was told by my Italian neighbors/friends to try something called Medaglia?? Just looking for pointers. Thanks.

Meda

1581038889903.jpeg

About how many oz. do you go through in a week? If I brew one 3 cup pot a day will a 10 oz can last a while?

This is like beer, everyone likes a different one.
Melitta , Dallmayr Sonderklasse ....
Try different brands, but works best with expresso ground (fine).
I have been using one of these for at least 15yrs

This is like beer, everyone likes a different one.
Melitta , Dallmayr Sonderklasse ....
Try different brands, but works best with expresso ground (fine).
I have been using one of these for at least 15yrs

lol. Gotcha.

I have a 6 cup version of the Bialetti. I have always used Medaglia d'ora. And I have to say I'm not a fan of those pre-ground italian espresso coffees because they have a tendency to result in a fair amount of bitterness in the cup. It may also have something to do with how I use the Bialetti. When you receive the moka pot I suggest you watch James Hoffmann's video on Youtube where he shows how to make coffee in a moka pot. I learned that I should be filling the bottom with hot water, not cold which he says can lead to bitter coffee. I haven't actually tried it since I watched the video but I have found his advice excellent for other brew methods. I'd say use a dark roast that you know you like and grind the beans yourself. You want them fine but not too fine. Otherwise it will choke the pot and water won't perk up through the coffee into the upper chamber. I'm actually looking forward to using it properly and see if I can make decent tasting coffee from mine. Good luck.

I have a 6 cup version of the Bialetti. I have always used Medaglia d'ora. And I have to say I'm not a fan of those pre-ground italian espresso coffees because they have a tendency to result in a fair amount of bitterness in the cup. It may also have something to do with how I use the Bialetti. When you receive the moka pot I suggest you watch James Hoffmann's video on Youtube where he shows how to make coffee in a moka pot. I learned that I should be filling the bottom with hot water, not cold which he says can lead to bitter coffee. I haven't actually tried it since I watched the video but I have found his advice excellent for other brew methods. I'd say use a dark roast that you know you like and grind the beans yourself. You want them fine but not too fine. Otherwise it will choke the pot and water won't perk up through the coffee into the upper chamber. I'm actually looking forward to using it properly and see if I can make decent tasting coffee from mine. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check the video out.

Using hot coffee was news to me. My grandparents, my parents, and I have always used cool water that comes from the tap.

By way of info, my grandparents and parents were born in Italy. My grandparents ground their own beans that they got from Little Italy in NYC. My parents always used Medaglia d'Oro. I have used illy, Medaglia d'Oro, and Kimbo Macinato Fresco (the last one comes from Naples). For some time I also used the Italian Roast Coffee that comes from TM Ward in Newark, NJ.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I should be filling the bottom with hot water, not cold
I have always used cool water that comes from the tap.

Hmm ... two Youtube videos that both call for hot water, not cold.

Aaaaand ... they both are clear that the Moka Pot should be thoroughly cleaned ... contrary to Moka instructions to clean but not use detergents.

Thoughts guys?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do try both Italian and Latin grinds - Lavazza etc. and a Bustelo or Pilon.

Wife and find the Italians bitter, as well. Even the cheapie Latin grinds taste great, IMHO.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Aaaaand ... they both are clear that the Moka Pot should be thoroughly cleaned ... contrary to Moka instructions to clean but not use detergents.

Thoughts guys?

Used one for years and years ... So did all the aunts. It's a Miami thing.

Always cold tap water.

AA

Thoughts guys?

The Chef Steps video is the one I was referring to. Hot water. The rationale seems to make sense to me but I still need to put it into practice. And they say that cleaning the moka pot is key to making sure the residue doesn't produce any unintended bitterness. Also makes sense to me. I clean mine with a sponge with a green scrubby on one side and regular sponge on the other and use Dawn Dishwashing liquid if I use soap. If it is safe enough for wildlife coated in crude oil, it's safe enough for my aluminum moka pot.

f your moka pot needs cleaning, or any coffee decanter, that is brown with coffee stains. Simply boil up enough water to fill what your cleaning and drip one cascade(i imagine most others will work) dishwasher pod and let it sit for a cpl hours.
Empty, clean any residue, rinse and it will be just like new.
I clean my behmor caraffe this way prob once a year.

Top Bottom