What's new

Question for you SR collectors out there

I collect SRs. I have between 150 - 200 (lost count). I have a friend, who has a friend...who is a collector that wants to sell off his collection. I am wondering if any of you who collect have ever purchased someone else's collection? What do you look for when buying a collection? Do you have a ballpark price per razor that you look to pay? At this point I don't have a lot of information. I don't know if the collection is 50 or 500 razors, condition of collection etc..

The obvious need not be stated -- I want to see the collection, examine each razor for condition and see if they have been restored, taken care of, and stored properly (though I am assuming if he is a collector he has taken care of the razors), will he sell part of the collection as opposed to the whole, etc, etc. etc.

Any thoughts or wisdom to share?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve never considered or been offered an opportunity to buy an entire collection.

The first thing I’d do on seeing the collection is assess his idea of collectability. If the collection is just nice examples of ordinary razors I’d probably pass unless the price was extremely attractive, you can assemble a collection like that fairly easily.

Second, I’d assess the re-sale value vs price, related to the first above. If I couldn’t resell it for more than I paid, I’d pass unless there’s something really, really compelling there. I’d probably want to keep part and sell part, so the resale value would be important since a collection would not be cheap compared to the quantities that we usually buy razors.

What I’d really be interested in would be top-of-the line razors from desirable brands, especially with ivory or tortoise scales - the razors that well-to-do people would have bought, especially those with some kind of history or provenance. Cased pairs, 7-day sets, etc. There were razors made for the old European aristocracy whose scales would be worth far more than any razor blade would ever be, jewel-inlaid, carved mother of pearl, ivory, etc. Those are collectible outside the razor community.

I’d probably be much less interested (from a collecting standpoint) in barber’s razors, American hardware store and barber supply razors, run-of-the-mill German and English razors, those were just too common though many were excellent razors, but they’re cheap and readily available.

Finally I’d ask what else is in the collection. If there’s a big box of NOS Escher Barber’s Delights or Salm rock cotis that would boost my interest a bit!

No I wouldn't be interested. There are very few and very specific razors I'm interested in. Buying a large batch of razors to get one of them and then having the job of selling the rest would be a nuisance and take up time i haven't got. However if someone was to take the trouble of selling his collection piece by piece I'd gladly pay the market price for any razor that was on my wanted list.

I’ve never considered or been offered an opportunity to buy an entire collection.

The first thing I’d do on seeing the collection is assess his idea of collectability. If the collection is just nice examples of ordinary razors I’d probably pass unless the price was extremely attractive, you can assemble a collection like that fairly easily.

Second, I’d assess the re-sale value vs price, related to the first above. If I couldn’t resell it for more than I paid, I’d pass unless there’s something really, really compelling there. I’d probably want to keep part and sell part, so the resale value would be important since a collection would not be cheap compared to the quantities that we usually buy razors.

What I’d really be interested in would be top-of-the line razors from desirable brands, especially with ivory or tortoise scales - the razors that well-to-do people would have bought, especially those with some kind of history or provenance. Cased pairs, 7-day sets, etc. There were razors made for the old European aristocracy whose scales would be worth far more than any razor blade would ever be, jewel-inlaid, carved mother of pearl, ivory, etc. Those are collectible outside the razor community.

I’d probably be much less interested (from a collecting standpoint) in barber’s razors, American hardware store and barber supply razors, run-of-the-mill German and English razors, those were just too common though many were excellent razors, but they’re cheap and readily available.

Finally I’d ask what else is in the collection. If there’s a big box of NOS Escher Barber’s Delights or Salm rock cotis that would boost my interest a bit!
Good advice. I agree with your assessment. Thanks.

I have had these opportunities before. All too often they tried to nickel and dime me to the market limit on a good day for every piece so I just walked. It's hard because if you are dealing with someone who was buying a lot in the 90s for instance and is older, their prices will tend to be off the walls because certain things were way more expensive then. Or if a collector passed and their family is trying to sell them, they go to ebay, see what ppl are asking and not necessarily getting and go with it. Buying collections is like threading needles. Usually, the only way you get a good deal is when stuff is in a huge rat's nest, not some well kept collection. I have that philosophy for flea markets as well... If the dealer shows up in a nice dress or pressed shirt with a bow tie and has linens on their table and everything presented lovingly with tags, you are never getting a deal. Conversely, the guy hating life with sauce stains on his shirt just turning boxes over that he bought from houses and storage bins onto a bingo hall table is gold for deals. Basically, what I am saying is if this is in person, try to get a read on them.. It's such a hard question because there are so many variables. Most important thing is you have a sensible person in front of you.

I mean if you are buying over a hundred pieces plus, you should be getting a percentage deal on the individual market total for everything because you are sacrificing liquidity for something with a very fluid value. It's like buying a used car, whatever they say and whatever they are asking, you assume something will go wrong that will cost money so you try to haggle room to deal with it. Now a straight razor won't mormally break down, but if the market decided to swan dive you want some safety net

Thanks guys. Good advice all around. For me collecting has been more about the thrill of the hunt...going to antique stores and finding nice razors on a good day and coming up empty on not so good days. All part of the fun. I have built my collection one, two or three razors at a time. This is the first time I have been approached to buy a collection and for the most part I am more curious than anything. I am prepared to pay good dollar for a nice collection...and I am also prepared to walk if the collection is so-so or too expensive for me. I will let you know how it all turns out.

The advice above has been great...thanks @Steve56 , @Polarbeard , @kcb5150 . More advice is welcomed!

Thanks guys. Good advice all around. For me collecting has been more about the thrill of the hunt...going to antique stores and finding nice razors on a good day and coming up empty on not so good days. All part of the fun. I have built my collection one, two or three razors at a time. This is the first time I have been approached to buy a collection and for the most part I am more curious than anything. I am prepared to pay good dollar for a nice collection...and I am also prepared to walk if the collection is so-so or too expensive for me. I will let you know how it all turns out.

The advice above has been great...thanks @Steve56 , @Polarbeard , @kcb5150 . More advice is welcomed!
You're welcome :001_smile

I am very new to SR collecting, but have a few experiences with selling/buying collections. I only purchase a collection if it is truly a 'fire sale' that hasn't been picked over. e.g. I purchased a tractor trailer *packed* with 1920's radios for $1000 cash from a gentleman who had a terminal illness. It took me 5yrs to deal with them, regardless of value. On the selling side I sold my 20+yr collection of pre-code and 70s horror comics at roughly 45% of guide, and I pulled back 20 key issues and it was an all afternoon haggle session in person. I did my homework both times and it was worth having the entire thing written out on paper before you negotiate a deal, both as a receipt, and as a way to keep things on track for price. -Chris

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am very new to SR collecting, but have a few experiences with selling/buying collections. I only purchase a collection if it is truly a 'fire sale' that hasn't been picked over. e.g. I purchased a tractor trailer *packed* with 1920's radios for $1000 cash from a gentleman who had a terminal illness. It took me 5yrs to deal with them, regardless of value. On the selling side I sold my 20+yr collection of pre-code and 70s horror comics at roughly 45% of guide, and I pulled back 20 key issues and it was an all afternoon haggle session in person. I did my homework both times and it was worth having the entire thing written out on paper before you negotiate a deal, both as a receipt, and as a way to keep things on track for price. -Chris
Excellent advice. I envy your skills, as that sounds an awful lot like honest work to me, which I avoid at all costs.

If you have to ask this question, you probably shouldn't be considering a purchase. One really has to know what they are doing when purchasing a straight, let alone a collection, based on at least several years of experience of use and discussions with very knowledgeable people. In addition, straights generally don't increase in value and are rarely a good investment, and their value lies primarily with the one collecting them.

. Conversely, the guy hating life with sauce stains on his shirt just turning boxes over that he bought from houses and storage bins onto a bingo hall table is gold for deals. [/QUOTE]

It was Ice cream...not sauce, get your facts right :):):)

I thought about how I would do this deal:
a) pull all damaged blades - those are worth $0 or the seller can keep them
b) pull out all SRs with adornments/upgrades (horn doesn't count as an upgrade to me, decide what you like)
c) count the rest and multiply by $10 (my base value for delivered SRs price)
d) Dont separate but mentally count any OMG must haves in the upgrade pile: multiply by $20
[this total is your haggle buffer]
e) count the upgrade pile and multiply by $20

example
100 razors, 10 duds, maybe 5 must haves, 20 upgrades: $700+$400 with $100 buffer. I'd offer $400, and feel robbed at anything above $1200. I would also offer to 'cherry pick' (10) for $250

The dollar amounts might vary but the approach is one I have used since my brother and I shared a big box of Legos.
Chris

I thought about how I would do this deal:
a) pull all damaged blades - those are worth $0 or the seller can keep them
b) pull out all SRs with adornments/upgrades (horn doesn't count as an upgrade to me, decide what you like)
c) count the rest and multiply by $10 (my base value for delivered SRs price)
d) Dont separate but mentally count any OMG must haves in the upgrade pile: multiply by $20
[this total is your haggle buffer]
e) count the upgrade pile and multiply by $20

example
100 razors, 10 duds, maybe 5 must haves, 20 upgrades: $700+$400 with $100 buffer. I'd offer $400, and feel robbed at anything above $1200. I would also offer to 'cherry pick' (10) for $250

The dollar amounts might vary but the approach is one I have used since my brother and I shared a big box of Legos.
Chris
Good advice. This is along the lines of what I was thinking. It will require some quick math but bottom line is I want to be fair to the seller and fair to myself. I am looking forward to seeing the collection. It may be a month or more, since the guy who is selling is going to be away for a while. If I walk away with nothing then nothing is lost and I will have learned from the experience. If I pick up 1 or 100 razors at a fair price then hopefully we will both walk away feeling good about the deal.

It's not really great advice to pull anything broken... Some figural celluloid scales are all the value of a razor regardless of whether the blade is shattered or rusted out or whatver.

i came across an antique store that was closing down. they had about 100 razors for sale.

As MrCrispy suggested, I pulled out all the $0 razors, and basically made a pile of no, yes and maybe. I offered a fair rate per razor (as opposed to going one by one) for the yes and maybe piles, he wanted a higher rate per razor than they maybes were worth, so i walked out with just the yes pile, 25 razors or so.

Top Bottom