What's new

Question for you Gillette experts

Today I picked up this new in box 1956 TTO razor. The antique dealer had to dig it out in one of the cases. He told med he bought 15 of them 20 years ago from an old drug store that was going out of business. I paid$8 for it. My question is being that it is brand new does it have any collector value or should I just go ahead and use it.
20170620_114340.jpg

That s a superspeed. It does have some collector value but we don't give prices estimate here.

So my answer is whatever someone is ready to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere is somebody that is dying to have a cherry 1956 SS that is cased and has the original paperwork and blades. They will probably pay more than the going rate on ebay. The going rate isn't very much, by the way.

That said, as somebody that buys stuff on ebay, if somebody says something is NOS, then I assume they are either wrong or lying, unless there is some sort of seal on the packaging.

I would totally use it, by the way.

Last edited:
I would not use a pristine, NOS razor in its case that has survived in that state for 61 years. There are millions of other Super speeds you can buy for a user.

It is your razor, so certainly do with it what you want, that is just my 2 cents and worth what you paid for the opinion - exactly zero.

Buy another one just like it.. same date code and style.. use that one and put the NOS on display..
Best of both Badger&Blade Worlds.

I would not use a pristine, NOS razor in its case that has survived in that state for 61 years. There are millions of other Super speeds you can buy for a user.

It is your razor, so certainly do with it what you want, that is just my 2 cents and worth what you paid for the opinion - exactly zero.

+1

Buy a user grade SS and put that on a shelf to admire and hand down to future family members. They will never make any more like that one.

It's not the rarest of razors but a very nice find in that condition! And a great price too.
If you like to collect put it aside and buy another one to use. A used one can be had for a reasonable price.
Congrats!

That's sweet, Robert. It would be a shame to be the one who used it in my opinion. Once used, it can never be NOS like that.

To me, if any consumer item has survived so long in it's original state, it has earned a spot as a shelf queen (or king).

Robert; My belief and actions at the Brown House convey that razors are to be shaved with- no cabinet jewelry here. I did purchase an unused Contract Tech, and will at some point even shave with that, being careful not to damage the paper insert between the base plate and cap. If you were to carefully enjoy this razor for just a few shaves- you will have experienced a new 1956 Super Speed, just as I will experience the razor that millions of US servicemen loaded in the field for a regulation shave during WWII. Definitely do go back and ask the shop owner if he has another one! Not so much to be a glutton, but to keep one in pristine shape and use the other. Do keep the case, dispenser, and paper tags in unused condition on both razors if you happen to purchase another from the same lot. A 1956 Flare Tip Super Speed was designed for moderate growth beards, and is a wonderfully mild shaving tool. The Flare Tip was the workhorse of the Super Speed line, and would be a good Super Speed choice, regardless of finding one in new condition. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Top Bottom