What's new

Question for you chemists regarding stearic acid

Although preshave products that contain stearic acid work well they could cause irritation as a post shave especially on dry skin. So it's better to have a product that also contains something like cocoa butter or lanolin. Could that be why my Stephan is a better post shave cream than PREP?

Although preshave products that contain stearic acid work well they could cause irritation as a post shave especially on dry skin. So it's better to have a product that also contains something like cocoa butter or lanolin. Could that be why my Stephan is a better post shave cream than PREP?

Udderly Smooth moisturizer cream is stearic acid based, and I've never noticed it being irritating.

It also contains lanolin and allantoin . I like using it after a shave sometimes, after applying some witch hazel or rosewater, and it's an excellent hand cream. I'm guessing it would also make an OK preshave.

Udderly Smooth moisturizer cream is stearic acid based, and I've never noticed it being irritating.

It also contains lanolin and allantoin . I like using it after a shave sometimes, after applying some witch hazel or rosewater, and it's an excellent hand cream. I'm guessing it would also make an OK preshave.
I think the reason it's not irritating is the lanolin and allantoin. Without those 2 my bet it would be irritating.

For post shave stearic acid is OK. It is more for lipid replenishment of the skins lipid biolayer disrupted by shaving soaps and creams. I find heavier creams that use stearic acid as a component are better. They help replenish the lipid layer and have heaver emollients that act as a barrier to reduce water evaporation from freshly shaven skin and help it keep hydrated. YMMV and all that

Top Bottom