What's new

Question for Vision 2000 users

After cleaning my Vis2K, I found the blade gap adjustment is out of whack. When at it's lowest setting, the blade is below the comb. I know the adjustment for it is the set-screw on the bottom of the handle. I just can't get it right. It seems any adjustment to it is "over-the-top"; a 1/2 turn buries the blade. Adjusting 1/4 back makes the lowest setting now feel like a "9" on my Progress.

Whats the gouge to getting this thing back into adjustment? :mad3:

Not sure I can help. I did make a successful adjustment to the blade gap on a Vision once and it was fairly simple. I did have to iterate but taking the blade and the silo doors out, adjusting the screw, putting everything back in place test the gap, then trying again. It only took a few iterations and I got it so that at the lowest setting there was a usable but very small gap.

Questions:
* I'm assuming the gap was to your satisfaction before dis-assembly?
* How much of the razor did you disassemble when you took it apart to clean?

Questions:
* I'm assuming the gap was to your satisfaction before dis-assembly?
* How much of the razor did you disassemble when you took it apart to clean?

The gap was satisfactory before. I disassembled the silo from the rest of the body, as per their (Merkur) recommendation. However, I found that in order to remove the silo, I had to max the comb gap to get the butterfly doors to clear. And, that is where I think I gooned the gap up. I got it apart, cleaned, and reassembled it with no problem.

If I can get the gap right, then everything will be a success.

V

VR6ofpain

I think there must be variences in the parts made. The way mine is, the portion that the blade sits on bottoms out on the head piece (the part underneth that the guards are part of) before the blade falls below the bars. There is no way any adjustment would allow mine to have the aggressiveness that low. The only way it could be dialed down more would be if I took it apart and ground off a bit of the bottom part. That way it would be physically possible to adjust further down.

There is no way any adjustment would allow mine to have the aggressiveness that low.

If you disassemble the razor, you may notice a set-screw in the bottom of the handle. That screw adjusts the limits of the blade gap selector (V-I-S-I-O-N knob). If the set screw gets moved, which apparently mine did, it is possible for the blade to descend below the comb when at its lowest setting.

My problem is that I can't get the setting correct. Every adjustment is overkill. I'm having to constantly install/uninstall everything in an attempt to find the right blade gap. Very frustrating.

V

VR6ofpain

If you disassemble the razor, you may notice a set-screw in the bottom of the handle. That screw adjusts the limits of the blade gap selector (V-I-S-I-O-N knob). If the set screw gets moved, which apparently mine did, it is possible for the blade to descend below the comb when at its lowest setting.

My problem is that I can't get the setting correct. Every adjustment is overkill. I'm having to constantly install/uninstall everything in an attempt to find the right blade gap. Very frustrating.
I get it! I always thought the adjustment had to do with the actual movement of the blade head. My concern was mine already bottomed out against the bottom of the head, so there was no way to make it go "down further". What this adjustment "set screw" does is just allow the top of the head to pull down the edges of the blade more. So what happens is it "curves" the blade down even harder. That is how the blade gets below the guard. I adjusted mine today, so that on the bottom setting, there is barely any exposure, but it is enough to cut hair. I'll play around with this more later. Not sure how it will affect shaving though, since the blade angle has now changed at all heights.

Top Bottom