• meh - a phone's a phone

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I switched back/will switch back to Android next time I get a phone

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I haven't switched from Android to iPhone but must vote in every poll

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you've gone from using an Android phone to an Apple iPhone, can you please vote in the poll? Leave a comment if you'd like to explain why you voted the way you did, or if you have a lot of experience with both and want to share your preference.

Every smartphone I've owned has been an Android, but my Apple friends have been wearing me down. The phone I'm considering is the plain ol' SE that just came out.
(I hope this isn't as divisive as politics, religion, or whether Arko and Tabac smell good.) :sod:

Last edited:
I've been an Android user since there was Android (Samsung Galaxy Continuum - Nexus 4 - LG G4 - Moto X (2nd gen) - Pixel XL plus a couple others I can't remember right now), spent a long time modding and flashing and rooting, the whole works. Had some iPads in there, and my wife always had an iPhone so I kept up on iOS over the years.

Just got an iPhone XR plus a MacBook Pro from work (I'm not one to say no to anything free!) and inherited a beat up old iPad, so I figured it's time to jump over to Apple full time.

After 4 months or so, it's definitely.... "meh, whatever". Android has matured to the point where you don't NEED to hack into it to make it useable, and it's gotten pretty locked down even if you wanted to try. iOS isn't as flexible, but the apps are much nicer, stuff really does mostly just work (ie, I can now use bluetooth connections in rental cars without pulling my hair out!) The hardware is about equal. Face unlock on the IPhone is AMAZING (unless you're wearing a face mask). Android notifications are much better thought out and far more informative and useful. Cameras are all about equal on the flagships. iMessage is a thing, once you get in it's hard to get out.

The real question is why are you buying a new phone, and what are you doing with it?

Update: I bought the iPhone SE and hated it. Well, the phone itself is fine but I hate iOS. So I'm back to using an Android.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I voted "I switched back" but as a proxy for my son. He had an Android phone, but his grandfather gave him an iPhone for Christmas a few years or so back. When it died, he couldn't switch back to Android fast enough.

iOS and Apple's philosophy is polarizing. Either you agree with how they do things and love it, or you disagree and are constantly frustrated. I have an iPad (long story, there) and have learned to deal with it, but I (and my family) tend to be in the latter group.

I have an iPhone (pretty much since we were using "edge" for data so 1st or 2nd gen iPhone) and my wife has an android.. get mocked for the dated look of iOS (which is true) that said my phone seems to last a lot longer than hers as I think Android has too much forking and vendor obsolescence going on (two generations Sony (feels like a great camera with accidental phone capabilities) and looking to flip to a google phone currently)

regards
avi

I've gone back and forth between the two over the years and honestly, they're both good. I'm currently on an iPhone 11. In all honesty, I preferred the Windows Phone platform over Android and iOS, but the minority of us WP users just wasn't large enough to sustain the platform.

Never tried Android although Samsung are huge here. I was always a Nokia buyer but used Apple computers and could not back up the phone as they would only work with Windows kit - quite a while ago. Then I lost my phone at Paris CDG and had no back up so when I got home I got an iPhone. I think it was about 8 years ago, at least the oldest photo on my phone is from 2012. I am just so used to it now, and the fact everything syncs with iPad, Mac and Macbook, I am not sure I can change now.

I work in IT Support, so it has included phones for many years.

Iphones are OK, but i really cant see much argument for them against modern android, unless you are have ipad(s) too, in which case the security synchronisation between devices can be quite handy for setup etc.

Modern Android is very good indeed, but you are at the mercy of phone manufacturers putting their own launchers and apps in place of stock Android and making it hard to change them (like Samsung - great hardware, but awfull apps)

My own background is various PDA's, then Windows mobile, then Android, Win10 mobile (still have my fantastically amazing Lumia 950) and back to Android. I have had many HTC devices and still using this great HTC 10 which is now nearly 4 years old and is still fast and smooth.

Trying to be objective here in my comments - iphones /ipads are decent enough and generally reliable - but I really do think Apple are dropping behind quite quickly now.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I didn't vote...I'm one of those BlackBerry people. But...I am using an Android BlackBerry, KEYone Black Edition. Alas...no more BlackBerry phones after the Key2 however. Weep with me...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
No offense meant, but why would anyone switch? In either direction. My iPhone friends have always had a friendly rivalry over our choices, usually going to "Why would I need another doorstop?" & "Did your screen come pre-cracked?" All in good fun.

No offense meant, but why would anyone switch? In either direction. My iPhone friends have always had a friendly rivalry over our choices, usually going to "Why would I need another doorstop?" & "Did your screen come pre-cracked?" All in good fun.

I switched due to having enhanced reporting apps on iPhone for work that I couldn't have on Android. I was always poking fun at my iPhone friends and what not ( all in good fun). They had a heyday when I switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Always have used Android. Probably always will. That way if my wife buries my body with my TracFone the authorities will have an easier time catching her!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I didn't vote...I'm one of those BlackBerry people. But...I am using an Android BlackBerry, KEYone Black Edition. Alas...no more BlackBerry phones after the Key2 however. Weep with me...

I'm mourning too. BlackBerry Passport user here, though I've removed the SIM card now.

Since BlackBerry got infested with Android, I've abandoned smart phones altogether. I don't need a tracking device, nor to be paying the overheads for companies to harvest data from me. I've closed my Amazon account as well.

I had to take the case off and look.

Wife handles this stuff; I wouldn’t even have a cell phone except for her telling me I have to have one in case of emergency.

As long as it works, I can surf while doing other things and it gets my email, I don’t care. I’ve had Androids and apparently I’m now an iPhone guy. I think this one is an X.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm mourning too. BlackBerry Passport user here, though I've removed the SIM card now.

Since BlackBerry got infested with Android, I've abandoned smart phones altogether. I don't need a tracking device, nor to be paying the overheads for companies to harvest data from me. I've closed my Amazon account as well.

I have an AT&T BlackBerry Passport in my dresser drawer...pristine condition...unlocked. The AT&T model had the rounded edges. Beautiful phone. What a shame...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A long time ago I had one of the HTC Droid phones. Or something like that. It was Android. It felt like it was way more customizable than the Apple iOS. The App Store felt like the Wild West. Like they would let anyone and everyone submit an app for user to download. Some really felt shady. I didn’t like either of those features.

I got the debut iPhone (2007) Then had the HTC because it was offered free from my job at the time. Then went back to iPhone and never looked back. iphone is all I had for the last 10+ years. My work phone is also an iPhone.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A long time ago I had one of the HTC Droid phones. Or something like that. It was Android. It felt like it was way more customizable than the Apple iOS. The App Store felt like the Wild West. Like they would let anyone and everyone submit an app for user to download. Some really felt shady. I didn’t like either of those features.

I got the debut iPhone (2007) Then had the HTC because it was offered free from my job at the time. Then went back to iPhone and never looked back. iphone is all I had for the last 10+ years. My work phone is also an iPhone.

That's just the app store, there's more you can do with side loading a APK file.
Shady is when your rooting your Android aka jailbroken.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That's just the app store, there's more you can do with side loading a APK file.
Shady is when your rooting your Android aka jailbroken.
Nope. Never got in to that. Pretty sure you can “jailbreak” Apple phones too. No thanks.

Top Bottom