What's new

question for those who avoid products with long ingredients list

For those of you that have concerns over toxicity or contamination of some ingredients (triethanolamine, SLS, BHT, parabens, fragrances, etc.,) - which products have you found that you are comfortable using?

With some allergies and sensitivities I looked at some of the "crafted" soaps as it is my belief that they tend to contain less preservatives and stabilizers than "commercial" products that need a long shelf life. Some of the vendors publish a list of ingredients on their sites and I had good luck with asking specific questions with the three I looked at; Mama Bear, Mike's, and Mystic Water Soaps. The list of "great soap makers" is a lot longer. I stopped there as, for my specific needs, Mystic seems a likely choice. I don't know if there is a similar list of small-batch producers of creams.

(I am not a DE-shaving expert and can't meaningfully comment on the "shave quality" of the products.)

There are a lot of products that contain none of the ingredients that may be harmful:
Weleda
Speick (and Speick Active)
Musgo Real
Kappus
Mühle
Korres

just to name a few of the non-artisan products...

I think if you're looking to minimize the ingredient list you'll have a lot more luck with soaps than creams.

+1

Although of the ones I mentioned above I meant the creams (where also soaps exist). The soaps, naturally, will be also devoid of things like Parabens, SLS etc.
Furthermore, these substances have been approved for cosmetic use by the FDA or the european authorities, that is why they are employed. Their potentially toxic nature (such as Triethanolamine, see thread on english creams) at employed concentrations has only surfaced after newer studies. Maybe they should be re-evaluated.

Isn't everything ptotentially toxic. Many (most?) shaving soaps contain caustic substances. Heck, too much salt or water can kill you.

I believe proraso,and also al's shave cream doesn't have those chemicals.Also ingredients with the letters CI followed by numbers means their is artificial colors.

Isn't everything ptotentially toxic. Many (most?) shaving soaps contain caustic substances. Heck, too much salt or water can kill you.

Yeah, but that's too facile an answer. There are products that are harmful, there are combinations of harmless products that can be harmful together, and there are long-term effects from using somewhat harmless products. The problem is that we don't have long-term data on a lot of the ingredients in products we ingest daily, so it's not necessarily wrong to be cautious.

Biotique Palmyra shaving cream
Cella
Most Artisan soaps and creams
Clearly natural bar soap (for pre-shave)
Dr. Bronners (has a lot of writing on the bottle, but the ingredient list is short)

It does seem wide open for debate.
Thanks for your responses here.
Honestly, it's only a small percentage of the more popular soaps that you would need to avoid. The list of good options is near to endless (which is why it's so easy to avoid the bad).

Great question. I have found that most products do not have parabens, some, however do have Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate. However, most quality products are free of toxic chemicals. The ones I use primarily: MWF, Tabac, Kells, Strop Shoppe, Speick, Palmolive are all great.

While this is potentially true, the fact is that there are chemicals which research shows causes cancers, allergic reactions or other health-impacting conditions.

I've personally been having good luck with Mike's Natural Soaps, and Aubrey Organics aftershave. I had a relatively similar question not too long ago, when I found myself having mild allergic reactions to a former AS.

While this is potentially true, the fact is that there are chemicals which research shows causes cancers, allergic reactions or other health-impacting conditions.

There are chemicals which research suggests causes cancers. All chemicals can be linked to cancer, even good old clean water.

There are chemicals which research suggests causes cancers. All chemicals can be linked to cancer, even good old clean water.

I guess however you want to spin it, the fact is that there is correlative evidence to suggest a relationship between chemical exposure and cancer... to me, that is enough evidence to avoid these chemicals if it's within my power.

I guess however you want to spin it, the fact is that there is correlative evidence to suggest a relationship between chemical exposure and cancer... to me, that is enough evidence to avoid these chemicals if it's within my power.

Had 10 minutes to kill so googled as much as I could in that short time. Did not find anything, anywhere that documented a case of cancer being attributed to a shaving product.

Seriously, you cannnot live life without coming into contact on a regular basis with lots and lots of products that are shown to have some link to cancer. Stay out of any car - full of bad stuff. That "new car smell"? - avoid it like the plague. While I'm on the car theme, might just as well never get in one. Far, far greater risk to your health than the ingredients in a soap or after shave. Heck for all I know there might be more of a chance of some shavig-realted cut gettig infected and endangering one's health using a DE or straight than with an electric razor. Probably safer to just skip the whole wet shaving thing altogether. Dump the carpets, the rugs, the home insulation and much of your furniture. Drink distilled water- not from plastic bottles of course, and I have no idea what you can safely eat.

Like everything else YMMV. Persoanlly I don't see the use in worrying about something so low down on the risk scale when I wilingly take on much riskier things every day of my life. I understand and appreciate others have a different view of this. To each his own.

Top Bottom