What's new

question for the weekend warriors

how do i go about cleaning a case w/o damaging the interior? i just picked up a 1921 new standard bostonian set and i wanna get the outside of the case spiffy, but the last time i tried this w/ a crap autostrop set i got water on the inner cloth/velvet. this set is in pretty stunning condition so that wont fly.

any help as always equivicates you to zeus but with a cooler beard.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
On some of the older cases, the lining is mounted on separate steel plates that can be removed carefully. Then the case can be thoroughly cleaned.
On those that don't remove EASILY, I just limit the cleaning and polishing to what I can do without risk of getting fluids inside.
The gold or silver silk screen logo on the inside of the cases is VERY easy to disturb.

For my Tuckaways which are pretty similar in the linings I take maas to the outside with the case closed, being very careful around the edges. Then a clean towel to polish it off. If you want, you can then take something like simple green and lightly dampen a towel with that and buff, it breaks up grease and the maas remains. Good luck, that was a great find!

note: don't do this with gold, but I saw yours is silver.

On some of the older cases, the lining is mounted on separate steel plates that can be removed carefully. Then the case can be thoroughly cleaned.
On those that don't remove EASILY, I just limit the cleaning and polishing to what I can do without risk of getting fluids inside.
The gold or silver silk screen logo on the inside of the cases is VERY easy to disturb.
a vacum with a very small nozzle attachement works well in addition to a steamer

Top Bottom