What's new

Question for the vintage Gillette experts

I have a Gillette New De Luxe in chrome. I'm wondering what case would be correct to make this
a kit. I know the Belmont would come with a chrome case and the Criterion came with a black case with purple inside.
So did Gillette use these cases for any other models or use any other cases for their New De Luxe? It seems
that they sometimes mixed and matched different cases for different models

I have a Gillette New De Luxe in chrome. I'm wondering what case would be correct to make this
a kit. I know the Belmont would come with a chrome case and the Criterion came with a black case with purple inside.
So did Gillette use these cases for any other models or use any other cases for their New De Luxe? It seems
that they sometimes mixed and matched different cases for different models
No expert here, Just an assumption, but it may be that Gillette cased the New De Luxe in a matching finish to the razor, and the blade bank matched the finish.

Here is a Belmont New De Luxe chrome
proxy.php

And a Belmont Gold De Luxe
proxy.php

There does also seem to be a colour pattern for box models. The Federals seemed to come in a red box, the Berkshires in what looks like a brown mottled leatherette or leather. There are several other examples of colour matching to models, so I suppose Gillette stuck to the model colour box match as much as possible.

You could probably list the box colours and models by studying Mr Razor.

Last edited:
No 'expert' here, Just an assumption, but it may be that Gillette cased the New De Luxe in a matching finish to the razor, and the blade bank matched the finish.

Here is a New De Luxe chrome
proxy.php

And a Belmont Gold De Luxe
proxy.php

There does also seem to be a colour pattern for box models. The Federals seemed to come in a red box, the Berkshires in what looks like a brown mottled leatherette or leather.

You could probably list the box colours and models by studying Mr Razor.
You are correct but they also had a chrome Criterion set that came with this case
1669940258124.png

im no expert but i do know a little and here is the little I know. The “sets” are like trim models on a car. The top tier model of a car is the most loaded and fancier. The bottom tier model is the basic trim and less fancy and there is an in between model.

Gillette did the same thing. The lowest tier gets the basic or standard case and the highest tier got the nicest metal case.

Lets take the new standard. It came in a leatherette case. The bostonian came in a metal case and then the rosewood in a wooden case. They are all the same razor just nicer presentation case.

The New Deluxe came in a several sets like the leatherette or metal. The metal cased version got a nicer case and nicer name. They are the same razor.

Usually speaking the label color matches the color of the razor. Gold writing / print in the interior meant a gold razor. If its silver / chrome then the razor is nickel/silver/chromium/rhodium

im no expert but i do know a little and here is the little I know. The “sets” are like trim models on a car. The top tier model of a car is the most loaded and fancier. The bottom tier model is the basic trim and less fancy and there is an in between model.

Gillette did the same thing. The lowest tier gets the basic or standard case and the highest tier got the nicest metal case.

Lets take the new standard. It came in a leatherette case. The bostonian came in a metal case and then the rosewood in a wooden case. They are all the same razor just nicer presentation case.

The New Deluxe came in a several sets like the leatherette or metal. The metal cased version got a nicer case and nicer name. They are the same razor.

Usually speaking the label color matches the color of the razor. Gold writing / print in the interior meant a gold razor. If its silver / chrome then the razor is nickel/silver/chromium/rhodium
Thanks I didn't know about the color schemes in the non metal cases

Top Bottom