What's new

Question for Synthetic Brush Users

Is there any benefit to soaking the brush or do you guys just wet it and go? I know genuine hairs benefit from a soak to moisten and expand them but was wondering if there’s any benefit at all for the synthetics. Thanks!

Maybe it's just me but I do soak my Omega S Brushes for about a minute in a mug of warm water before lathering. I find I get a better reult that way than just running them under the tap for a few seconds.

Not needed. I just put mine in my mug of water while I apply pre shave, then take it out, shake out the excess and start loading.

I soak it in hot water while I shower, just like other brushes. But I do that more to warm the bristles since they don't need to soak. If I'm in a morning rush and forget to soak my brush, I always grab a synthetic and just run it under warm water.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I just wet the brush, remove excess water & start loading. If I need more water, just a little more on the tip of the brush works for me.
Yup, that's exactly what I do.
It yields a very consistent lather without any flinging.
I'm in this group. I can't imagine it hurts to soak it, but I like that I don't have to....one of the many benefits of synthetics for me.

I use to soak the tips under running water. But thanks to the advice of @Esox, now dip the very tips into water. Start loading almost dry. Otherwise lather runs down the brush.

This is very interesting. I’ll try this. I used my new synthetic last night for the first time. Very different lather from my boars and badgers. But I was very impressed at how it whipped up the small sample of MdC I was using.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I use to soak the tips under running water. But thanks to the advice of @Esox, now dip the very tips into water. Start loading almost dry. Otherwise lather runs down the brush.

Yep. You dont need much water, or soap either for that matter. Once you get used to it, you'll learn how much of the tips to dip for time spent loading.

This is very interesting. I’ll try this. I used my new synthetic last night for the first time. Very different lather from my boars and badgers. But I was very impressed at how it whipped up the small sample of MdC I was using.

I find they make the same quality lather as my boar and badger, but with a lot less soap/cream used.

Synthetics load quickly. Twice as fast as my boar and 3-4 times faster than my Silvertip.

I soak mine but its more to heat the brush up than it is to soften up the fibers. Like someone else said, synthetic doesnt absorb water like natural hair does, so theres no real benefit to soaking the brush; other than warming it up.

I just wet the brush, remove excess water & start loading. If I need more water, just a little more on the tip of the brush works for me.

This is what i do also.

i have tried the 'marco' method with my synths and got fantastic results.. only issue is the mess to the soap container and the messy flinging of soap around the place, but prefer the quoted approach

Yep. You dont need much water, or soap either for that matter. Once you get used to it, you'll learn how much of the tips to dip for time spent loading.

I find they make the same quality lather as my boar and badger, but with a lot less soap/cream used.

Synthetics load quickly. Twice as fast as my boar and 3-4 times faster than my Silvertip.

I “dipped the tips” this weekend had great success!

Top Bottom