What's new

Question for Synthetic Brush Users

I've noticed the zig zag in the synthetics too. On top of the natural hairs being hollow, many natural hairs also have a belly (badger, sable, etc.) The belly keeps the hairs apart below it allowing the brush to hold water or paint. I'm truly amazed at how well people were able to make synthetic fibers mimic this property, albeit by a different method. And yes, I've had water run down my arm when pressing an over wet synthetic to my face. I always figure that that was user error and try not to have too much water in the brush. It's kind of funny that when one of the problems with the non absorbent fibers shows itself it is because the brush is carrying too much water.

I think that synthetic fibres don't absorb water ...
But they do. Just not as much.
...The ondulated external surface of the fibres though, traps some water, due to surface tension (same principle on how a leaf holds drops of water). This is a weak force and it causes the brush to rapidly loose much of the water when shaken (typical synthetic behaviour with wet but not shaken brush, that as soon as you press on your cheek, the water drips on your chest).
Isn't that what I said?

Synthetic knots don't absorb water. The water is trapped between bristles and don't let go unless you either shake, squeeze, or splay the knot...

But they do. Just not as much.

Isn't that what I said?

Don't mind me, small details. My "difference", was about "absorbtion" (i intend it as pulling water inside the fibers) and about "capillary action" (as far as i remember from school, capillary action involves movement of liquid inside a tube. Surface tension is different, it's more static, it's a force that allows water to stay in one place, like "trapped").

I just dampen the tips. Then add a a couple drops later. Synthetics work best with little water, IMO.

That is exactly what works best for me with the soap which
currently occupies my bowl. After that soap has been used up
I am going to try a puck of Williams and see how that goes.

Top Bottom