What's new

Question for Synthetic Brush Users

I soak it because it feels warmer to me. Also I'm a creature of habit. So I treat and prep (most) of my brushes the same way. I wouldn't be able to keep track of separate programs for badger, boar, synthetic brushes.

Is there any synthetic that is able to hold a bit of water? Lately I got more creams and croaps so I get some and put it directly on my face and skip the bowl. But my RazoRock 400 (black knot) don't hold the water, lather yes. A little preasure and the soapy water runs out from the bottom and on my shirt. Quite anoying

I had a Body Shop synthetic that I bought for travel because of the fast drying. Though It was usable it's lack of water holding meant that all of the lather ended up on the handle and my hand. I made an impulse buy on one of the Plisson type brushes and was so impressed by the way it held water that I bought a synthetic Timberwolf knot to experiment with shorter loft. The new knot has this same water holding ability. Both still dry rapidly after use.

Is there any benefit to soaking the brush or do you guys just wet it and go? I know genuine hairs benefit from a soak to moisten and expand them but was wondering if there’s any benefit at all for the synthetics. Thanks!
With my experience I only soak the brush for 30 seconds. I don't know if there is any benefit. And when I say soaking I mean running it under warm warm water for 30 seconds or so!

Is there any synthetic that is able to hold a bit of water? Lately I got more creams and croaps so I get some and put it directly on my face and skip the bowl. But my RazoRock 400 (black knot) don't hold the water, lather yes. A little preasure and the soapy water runs out from the bottom and on my shirt. Quite anoying

This is one of the reasons I started setting my own knots. I love the new synthetics, but the more dense they are, and the deeper they are set into the handle, the more problems I have with water leaking all over my hand.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

They all hold a lot of water, hence your problem.

Dont soak the brush, just dip the tips.

I use creams often and I load my synthetic dry. Then I dip the tips into the tub and give it a twist to pick up about this much, usually less with my synthetic.

IMG_2191.jpg

Then I wet my face well and dip the tips maybe a 1/4" into the water and start face lathering. Once I have the lather spread out a bit I'll dip the tips again and work that water in. The lather explodes when I do that and I always end up with more lather than I need.

Between passes I'll wipe my face and neck with a wet hand and usually dips the tips again to pick up more water, I like a thin lather, especially for my last pass and/or cleanups.

Using mine like that, no water, or lather for that matter, even runs onto the brush handle. The synthetic fibers hold so much water between them so well, that if you soak your brush that water will be trapped between them and only released when you splay the knot. Thats why it runs everywhere. Synthetic fibers dont need to be soaked, they're very stable and dont swell or soften from water. They do retain heat very well though so if you'd like a warm shave, dip the tips in hot water.

I find with my synthetic it holds a lot of water. I run my brush under warm water, then add a little bit of hot water in my soap bowl, and let the tips work there magic.

Is there any benefit to soaking the brush or do you guys just wet it and go? I know genuine hairs benefit from a soak to moisten and expand them but was wondering if there’s any benefit at all for the synthetics. Thanks!
Wet and go big anytime for the PAA Atomic Rocket.

Well when they hold water how does it come that a little preasure let it flow out the bottom? I don't have that issue with my Simfix though
And I do dip only the tips.
I think I simply stick to bowl lathering.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well when they hold water how does it come that a little preasure let it flow out the bottom?

Gravity.

It happens with mine because as the brushes fibers bend when lathering, they separate and the water trapped between them starts to flow. My first few shaves with a synthetic I had water dripping off my elbow. That was with a well shaken out brush that had been soaked. I was treating it the same as my boar. That was my mistake.

Its always easier to add water to a lather than remove it.

The synthetic fibers hold so much water between them so well, that if you soak your brush that water will be trapped between them and only released when you splay the knot. Thats why it runs everywhere. Synthetic fibers dont need to be soaked, they're very stable and dont swell or soften from water.

It happens with mine because as the brushes fibers bend when lathering, they separate and the water trapped between them starts to flow. My first few shaves with a synthetic I had water dripping off my elbow. That was with a well shaken out brush that had been soaked. I was treating it the same as my boar. That was my mistake.

Its always easier to add water to a lather than remove it.
Both of these comments explain how a synthetic knot acts if not used properly. There are enough experiences posted in todays forum about how to properly lather with a synthetic brush yet there are still many that try to use one like a natural haired brush and wonder why they fail or in most cases to make their explanation of why natural is better than synthetic!!

There is no harm in soaking a synthetic brush as long as you squeeze and shake out the excess water before starting to load the brush. Your loaded brush should start to lather almost kind of dry and then you dip the tips only to pick up some water to add to your face or bowl to help the lather open up or explode as has been posted here before. The real trick here is learning when enough is enough and too much is too much and is the real key to success with a synthetic brush.

I switched to synthetics back over 2yrs ago and in my opinion, they have gotten better and better with time. I still use the 1st Whipped Dog synthetic that I bought today and its one of my best brushes but it has been overshadowed in my rotation by the newer knots in more fancier looking handles is all, but that kind of bland looking brush still lathers with the best of them...

Just try using a barely damp brush.

I've found that one synthetic performs differently in this regard compared to others. It's the White and Brown knot from Haircut and Shave Co., which is the same as the Motherlode knot.

Haircut and Shave Co. 24mm Synthetic Shaving Brush knot (Brown and White)

It holds and releases water a bit more like an animal knot. I've found I can load it fairly wet and then face lather without adding any, or just a little, additional water. If I do it right, there's no dribbling.

It's also ridiculously soft, the softest synthetic I've tried out of many.

Now, this knot is not for everyone because it has little backbone. Definitely floppy. But I like it.

I've got a great badger silver tip I've had for about 15 years. Recently, against my prejudices, I tried a new $10 'plissoft' synthetic from Razorock. Is there any reason to continue to buy expensive animal hair brushes anymore? The synthetic is as soft or softer and holds enough water for my purposes, plus it dries so much faster, which is great for travel. I never would have believed synthetic bristles would perform so well.

I've got a great badger silver tip I've had for about 15 years. Recently, against my prejudices, I tried a new $10 'plissoft' synthetic from Razorock. Is there any reason to continue to buy expensive animal hair brushes anymore? The synthetic is as soft or softer and holds enough water for my purposes, plus it dries so much faster, which is great for travel. I never would have believed synthetic bristles would perform so well.

I used boars and badgers forever before “discovering” synthetics. For the longest time I didn’t educate myself around them and assumed anything “synthetic” and cheap wouldn’t be as good. Now after using them and loving them, I have a hard time going back to my formerly beloved boars and badgers alike. Aside from whipping up copious amounts of lather with less soap, I find the synthetics paints a much richer, more uniform layer of soap on my face. And perhaps I’ve gotten lucky with the 6-7 synthetics I’ve purchased, but not a single one is a lather hog like some of my badgers are. They tend to give up the lather much easier for me.

Top Bottom