What's new

Question for Rope Tobacco Smokers

I ordered one tin each of SG Black XX and Brown No. 4, and I tried the Black in my pipe the other night, and it was nearly impossible to keep lit. I used a cigar cutter and cut coin sized pieces and rubbed out the coins. Do you any of you have suggestions for how to smoke this stuff or will I just need to dry it out for a day or two before trying to smoke it?

The tins definitely need drying, also slice as thin as you can to get something between a ribbon and a shag. Even with that its not uncommon for me to need a couple of relights through the course of a bowl.

Kind of a combination of both, its a little tricky to get the whole rope to a good uniform moisture level. I let it air out for a while and seal it up and as the rope hits equilibrium in the jar/tin I sometimes still find it too moist. It can take a few tries to get it suitable to my personal tastes. In the interim I air out the rubbed slices before smoking. I could easily do just that and and I suspect I make things harder on myself than is truly necessary.

Yeah, as all ready stated slice as thin as possible rub out and let dry for a quite a while, I found it tough to light but once lit it was OK.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The fun in cutting coins off the rope withstanding, is there a benefit or distinction taste wise to the ropes?

The fun in cutting coins off the rope withstanding, is there a benefit or distinction taste wise to the ropes?
The black rope is cooked making it milder and reducing the nicotine level (still high :wink2:) the brown rope is stronger in taste and nicotine.

Top Bottom