What's new

Question for cartridge razor fans

I like trying everything, and the big news has been the use of DLC in many cheaper cartridges by companies such as Schick and Bic. It is very noticeable how much better those blades are in both performance and longevity while being an excellent value. The entire new Bic line is excellent (all the Flex and Comfort models), even if some are clearly better than others. Similarly the Exacta 2 by Schick (Atra clone) appears to have both DLC and Titanium coating and goes for about 10 shaves of good quality. I look forward to getting some DE blades with DLC, such as those by SuperMax. It is quite a contrast to try a very cheap cartridge system made by Kai without DLC, and see how much less good the shaving experience/value is, even though I felt the Kai disposables were a good value 5-6 years ago. The world of shaving is changing.

I use disposables and carts when I travel. I find that I can get the same quality of shave with a cart/dispoable, its not as smooth as a DE though.
I prefer the Bic Sensitive or comparable knockoff for travel because it gives me much the same feel as my DE and they are dirt cheap.

With carts I can make one pass ATG, revel in the BBS sensation, and be done for 2 to 3 days. Such results were certainly possible with my Merkur DE but I got tired of changing blades after every other shave, as opposed to my Mach3 carts going for a solid two weeks before changing. I get excellent results no matter what I use, so it ultimately came down to convenience.

Hi,

Question for daily users of cartridge razors, especially if you used double edge razors before that.

What made you definitely switch to cartridge razors?
I switched to DEs because I was getting terrible shaves, and then learned it was mostly because I never really learned how to shave properly. Now that I know how my hair grows, how to shave with no pressure, and to make good lather, just about any cartridge can deliver consistently good results. I admit to wrestling with whether cartridges fit into the minimalist shaving ideal, but I figure as long as I'm not trying a zillion different cartridge systems, it's really not much different than settling on a single DE razor and blade combination.

Today, I tried shaving with a cartridge (Proglide) after 10 years, and can't believe what kind of bbs shave it was. However, I did see a couple of a bit ingrowns, probably due to the closeness of the shave.

Which would you say is better for your skin, cartridge or DE?
I haven't had an ingrown hair for years, no matter which razor I use, so I may not be the best person to answer this question, but I think as long as you use good prep and technique, neither is better unless you are prone to ingrown hairs, in which case I'd say either stick with DE or use the Gillette Guard. I don't have any experience with the new Skinguard, so I can't say anything about that option.

And which cartridge would you recommend - Proglide, Mach3 or Wilkinson Hydro 5. Wilkinson price is quite appealing.

Thanks for your answers!
Try the Bic Flex5 Hybrid or any of the newer Bic Flex cartridge razors, they're amazingly good razors for the price and have quickly become my favorite carts. I also like the Guard, which is dirt cheap but really effective and a great travel option, the Mach 3, and the venerable Trac II.

Hi,

Question for daily users of cartridge razors, especially if you used double edge razors before that.

What made you definitely switch to cartridge razors?
Today, I tried shaving with a cartridge (Proglide) after 10 years, and can't believe what kind of bbs shave it was. However, I did see a couple of a bit ingrowns, probably due to the closeness of the shave.

Which would you say is better for your skin, cartridge or DE?

And which cartridge would you recommend - Proglide, Mach3 or Wilkinson Hydro 5. Wilkinson price is quite appealing.

Thanks for your answers!

I was using a fusion upto 2013 and hated the cost and the less than satisfactory shaves I was getting. I switched to DE shaving uptill may of this year (6 years) when I decided to use my mach3 again . I realized (Like so many others ) that it was really my poor technique and face prep that was the problem .

Now with better knowledge of my face “map” and better face prep with good soaps and using a brush I’m able to get a good a shave with my Trac II / Atra / Sensor now as I ever got with my DE and with much lower chance of getting nicks or weepers .

Also knowing how to shave with zero pressure helps .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on my experience, using : DE,SE, carts, shavettes and cutthroats; I have to admit that Gillette still makes the best blades, specially if you have dense coarse beard/hair. All their carts are excellent and last fairly long--yes they are expensive, but buy them when you find a sale (have to be on the hunt everywhere). I shave my face and head and for the head, all other carts seem to be a bit rough... I prefer DE for the head if I have time. One more last thing: use a brush and some kind of decent soap with carts, it makes a difference and add some balm afterwards. Rinse and dry the carts after use and do not keep them in the bathroom that way they will last longer. And yes you can shave in probably 1/5 time w a cart...and don't get skin damage...can use pressure and go any direction most of the time.

I went back to carts because of essential tremor. With carts I can use slight pressure to control the tremor. Results are pretty much identical but with less blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest doing the reduction method with a couple of passes even with the ProGlide. Maybe 1 WTG & 1 ATG with slightly more pressure than with DE razor. Maybe only WTG in the areas that give you ingrowns. ProGlide is my favourite. Get 6 months out of one of those. Daily shaves too. I know it is crazy and I switch almost out of bordeom and use DE-razor or electric for some months / years.
Switching shaving methods every so many months or years is part of the hobby, makes it always fresh.

Hi, I NEED some help from the Dorco users.
I tried the Twin a week ago and got excellent shaves (orange strip 2 blades)
So i bought 90 carts at 1/2 price from Dorco. Now these are blue, tried one and did NOT shave...had to use Gillette. Now today I put glasses and these Twin Dorco have a blue glide strip at the bottom and the skin tensioner at the top. I think they are defective, they put the blades the wrong way..... Anyone has seen and tried these "new" blue ones that can opine..... I will probably write to them and request a refund....total waste

I have never tried a Dorco twin, but I'm pretty much a Dorco fan.

What I have discovered that works for my face is the tripple and the seven. I get a lot of irritation from the four or either of the sixes. The fives are OK, but don't last as long as the sevens.

One of the advantages of all Dorcos except for the twin is common docking. That means that you can swap cartridges between the handles allowing easier experimentation. My favorite handles are the lower six (the one that doesn't have a trimming blade), the seven, and the power six.

Currently I use the seven for the first pass. The seven for most of the second pass, switching for the three with the six handle for around my mouth, and the third pass with a seven with the power six handle.

I would suggest you try to get your money back since it is obviously different and doesn't work for you, and try a triple. I think you will like it.

Top Bottom