What's new

Question : DIY replacement magnetic pads for modular paddle strop

Hi all,
Few years ago I got modular paddle strop from straight razor designs. It arrived with 4 pads, two felt, which supposed to be pasted, scrub/horse leather pad and latige leather for fine stropping. I didn't use it much then, but now I resumed my interest in straight shaving ablnd using it regulary. Unfortunately, Lynn Abrams who run the straightrazordesigns retired and additional/replacement pads are no longer available. ( I did a web search and some people actually sell these replacement pads which fits the modular strop, but they are expensive and choice are very limited.

I thought about doing thee pads myself, I think all I need is adhesive magnetic sheets, available in any hobby shop and/or online, sharp knife and metallic ruler..
Take the piece of lather, slightly bigger then strop dimensiins attach magnetic sheet to it and then cut it precisely to fit the strop dimension which are 3" by 12".

The big question is the leather: any advices s where I can get pieces of suitable leather? I understand there is large variety and I am not limited to horse scrub and felt. I saw some hanging strops for crazy prices, over 400$, It's hard to believe that the main component of cost of such a strop is leather, but may be a plain piece of really good leather can be bought for substantialy less? Of course, I assume that plain piece of scrub leather should cost about 5$, if replacement pad on the web costs about 20$.

May be somebody went through the process and can share the experience?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Where are you? Any leather shop like Tandy leather in the US should have pieces that can be cut to size.

Thanks a lot, I do have a Tandy leather shop near ( never heard about them before), I'll visit it tomorrow.

Top Bottom