What's new

Question ‘bout wedges...

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
So, like the title says, I have a few questions.

1) Who came-up with the wedge being a contrasting color?

I see some incredible mirror-polished razors, in incredible black handles...with funky, contrasting, white wedges. (Or similar).

Who came up with that?

Is that a vintage thing? (Because I don’t remember seeing that in old razors). Or is that a fairly new practice?

2) What is an acceptable or common wedge material? Is it usually the same material as the scales, or is there a standard choice?

3) What is the recommended size of a wedge?

In other words, when designing scales to the blade, how much longer should the wedge-side of the scales be than the toe of the blade?

Anyone recommend a restoration supplier besides Maggards, eBay, or Etsy?

Last edited:
Wedge bows the scales to suite the razor and also the thickness determines the depth the razor will rest in the scales.

Color and contrasts are just aesthetic preferences. Regarding old wedges, lead was pretty common. Much of anything with suitable properties like metal, plastic, horn, wood, ivory, bone etc are all used.

Personally I really like a lot of contrast. Not that it is really needed, but I feel like it's easier to center the blade while closing the razor. I don't wear glasses when I'm shaving.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Thanks for the responses.

Any info in the size of the wedge? (Like how far should I extend the scales past the toe of the blade).

Or good suppliers of rods, wedges, pins, collars for the pins, etc...

In Africa there’s no suppliers so I use 1.6mm brazing rod from welding supplier and machine washers, collars and caps from brass. Wedges is always made individually. Nothing is easy over here...

No, size of the wedge as you call it is up to you or whoever is making it. The important dimensions are the width (blade depth) and the angle (bow the scales). They can be quite small or large.....up to the maker.

I get the washers for collars from microfasteners. You can get 1/16 brass rod or nickel silver lots of different places like online or hobby stores.

The wedges you just make with any of the materials like those I already mentioned. Cut off a small piece, sand to the angle and thickness that suits your razor and scales, then I don’t remove the excess until pinned. Easy to cut/sand off the excess and blend/polish down.

Thanks for the responses.

Any info in the size of the wedge? (Like how far should I extend the scales past the toe of the blade).

Or good suppliers of rods, wedges, pins, collars for the pins, etc...
I personally like to keep the toe of the razor close to the end of the scales, but it's mainly an aesthetic issue. Do realize that since the wedge tapers away from the toe it will eventually disappear on its own if you make it long enough.

I think that Maggards has pin kits.

Top Bottom