What's new

Question: Above The Tie/Rockwell

I’ve been hooked on my Rockwell 6C in White Chrome and find myself using R4 the most and occasionally R5 with the Gillette Nacet blade. Can some kind gentleman here guide me to what you feel is comparable to the Rockwell with R4 and R5 from Above The Tie? I’m looking for a polished stainless razor that will last a lifetime and I can pass down to my son. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. I’m also open to other razors comparable to ATT. Thank you all in advance!

I have not shaved with the Rockwell but know the ATT Windsor well. You will want to look at the SSMR and SSRH plates. I enjoy the SSRH for close, comfortable, efficient daily shaves. I find the Windsor smooth with a slight bit of blade feel.

What made you decide on a ATT razor? Lots of great razor options out there. ATT makes fantastic razors so you won’t go wrong there.

You might also consider the Timeless razor, which is a CNC machined stainless razor of comparable quality to the ATT. The Timeless has outstanding blade clamping, making it one of the smoothest shavers out there. And, it is a really fine piece of workmanship. In the Timeless, the best match for the R4 in my view would be the solid bar with the .68 gap. The Timeless .68 might be just a bit milder than the R4 Rockwell, but not by much in my experience. The next gap up on the Timeless, the .95, would a sizable jump in aggression/efficiency from the R4.

At one time I owned an original ATT with three different plates but it wasn't a good fit for me. Beautifully made, but the shave just didn't work for me. I have not tried the newer Windsor design (which I understand is quite different from the original ATT) so I can't help with that comparison.

I have not shaved with the Rockwell but know the ATT Windsor well. You will want to look at the SSMR and SSRH plates. I enjoy the SSRH for close, comfortable, efficient daily shaves. I find the Windsor smooth with a slight bit of blade feel.

What made you decide on a ATT razor? Lots of great razor options out there. ATT makes fantastic razors so you won’t go wrong there.
I love the look of it and there are a lot of great reviews. Definitely open to other options though as this is a decent size investment for a razor.

You might also consider the Timeless razor, which is a CNC machined stainless razor of comparable quality to the ATT. The Timeless has outstanding blade clamping, making it one of the smoothest shavers out there. And, it is a really fine piece of workmanship. In the Timeless, the best match for the R4 in my view would be the solid bar with the .68 gap. The Timeless .68 might be just a bit milder than the R4 Rockwell, but not by much in my experience. The next gap up on the Timeless, the .95, would a sizable jump in aggression/efficiency from the R4.

At one time I owned an original ATT with three different plates but it wasn't a good fit for me. Beautifully made, but the shave just didn't work for me. I have not tried the newer Windsor design (which I understand is quite different from the original ATT) so I can't help with that comparison.
Taking a look at the Timeless today!

Using Rockwell R4 means the ATT SSRH may be a little much for you.

If you used R5 regularly then the SSRH may have been a good fit.

The SSMR is 0.4mm gap but efficiency is around the R4 so you may want to consider that.

I can speak very highly of ATT Windsor. Extremely smooth and comfortable shaver.

Another option to consider is the Yates 921-M with a 0.68mm blade gap, it's extremely smooth with ash efficiency a read tad higher than R4.

I had a Rockwell 6S at one point and sold it. I also own ATT Windsor Pro SB90 and it's a decent shaver, but nothing impressive and at least for now i'm going to keep it. I don't own a Timeless or any razor in the $150 spectrum, but I would recommend the Razorock Game Changer and Lupo .72/.95. If you want something more on the smooth side, but still efficient enough, the Game Changer might be the one for you, but if you want something more efficient, but slightly less smoother, any of the Lupo stainless will do the job. The only thing I don't like about Razorock is that their handles are a bit thicker than the ones I enjoy the most.

I love the look of it and there are a lot of great reviews. Definitely open to other options though as this is a decent size investment for a razor.
ATT razors are certainly very good quality and shave really well. I can also recommend Yates 921-M as a great option as well. Don't know you thoughts on blade feel, but if you don't mind a blade forward razor, then check out the Blackbird. The new Karve Overlander is another great option if you don't mind brass.

I had a Rockwell 6S at one point and sold it. I also own ATT Windsor Pro SB90 and it's a decent shaver, but nothing impressive and at least for now i'm going to keep it. I don't own a Timeless or any razor in the $150 spectrum, but I would recommend the Razorock Game Changer and Lupo .72/.95. If you want something more on the smooth side, but still efficient enough, the Game Changer might be the one for you, but if you want something more efficient, but slightly less smoother, any of the Lupo stainless will do the job. The only thing I don't like about Razorock is that their handles are a bit thicker than the ones I enjoy the most.
Yeah, I'm not a thick handle guy for sure. I love the handle on the Rockwell 6!

I know you said you were looking for a stainless steel razor but I got the ATT Windsor SB90 which is made from 7000 series aluminum which is super-hard and I love it. I have tried about 100 different razors of all types and this SB90 cuts the smoothest and closest of any I have tried. With a price tag of under $100. you can't beat it. Has a nice finish in black.

ATT_Speick.JPG

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know you said you were looking for a stainless steel razor but I got the ATT Windsor SB90 which is made from 7000 series aluminum which is super-hard and I love it. I have tried about 100 different razors of all types and this SB90 cuts the smoothest and closest of any I have tried. With a price tag of under $100. you can't beat.

View attachment 1432235
That's a beauty, to my eye, friend!

FarmerTan

Of everything mentioned, the only one I have any experience with is Timeless in Bronze, which was gifted me by @matwho , for some unknown reason.

The machining on it looks like something only NASA could do. Feels incredible in hand.... No idea the price, but if I had to, I'd not hesitate to spend my own money, WITHOUT a coupon. It's that lovely.

Of everything mentioned, the only one I have any experience with is Timeless in Bronze, which was gifted me by @matwho , for some unknown reason.

The machining on it looks like something only NASA could do. Feels incredible in hand.... No idea the price, but if I had to, I'd not hesitate to spend my own money, WITHOUT a coupon. It's that lovely.
Timeless 38 SB bronze is $135 w/o stand

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have an ATT Windsor and it's a truly excellent razor for the money. I have four others as well.

They are a very friendly company and I suggest you ask them which razor they recommend. I believe they still have an exchange program, so there is no risk if you get the wrong aggression level.

FarmerTan

I have an ATT Windsor and it's a truly excellent razor for the money. I have four others as well.

They are a very friendly company and I suggest you ask them which razor they recommend. I believe they still have an exchange program, so there is no risk if you get the wrong aggression level.
I've never done business with him, but he seems just like 99.9 percent of us: down to earth, polite, trying to put out a beautiful razor that looks like art!

Okay, he's what I wish I could do; I have never made ANY razor, but his are beautiful to look at!

Top Bottom