What's new

Question about Yorkshire Tea sold in the US

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It's many years since I put anything in my tea. Well, occasionally on a cold wet day I'll add a drop of the craytur to the mug, but that's about it.

I don't know about the US, but in Canada we get Yorkshire Gold in th supermarket. I just checked the box and it says 'blended and packed in the UK by Taylors of Harrogate'. It is imported from the UK, so I imagine that if it shows up in the US it would be imported as well rather than made under contract. By the way, I can sometimes get it in loose leaf form as well, and to me it is a bit better than the bags.

@AjaxLepinski .. it’s funny you say that, we also have stop and shop here ( Pa / philly ). I also happened to be in Wegmans today which also in random parts of the NE ( but discovered when living in upstate NY ) and happened to be wandering through the Brit. / European section and noticed they had it as well:

( below is the online search at Wegmans )

@Owen Bawn do you have a Wegmans or stop and shop near you ?

to be honest my strong black tea ( upgrade from brookes bond red ) is this

regards
avi

Owen Bawn

I prefer coffee insofar as I would have about 4 or 5 mugs of tea per year. Has to be Barry's. Used to share a house with a girl from Tipp and a box would last her a week. She was the one who got me drinking the odd mug of tea.
A pint o' plain is your only man.

There was a great PBS/BBC documentary some years ago called "The Story of English" that went into the different English accents and how they had migrated to the New World. As the host interviewed people from the more remote parts of the UK, they put up subtitles so the audience could understand what was being said!

When I was at Appalachian State in the 1970's, we would encounter "hillbillies" who spoke a type of Scot-like brogue and sometimes what was called "Queens English". You almost needed subtitles when you asked for directions when exploring the hills which we did a lot. You would encounter words you never heard before. It's almost all gone now. Ocracoke island also has something similar. Youtube has videos about it. My wife is from way back in the hills. My wife will sometimes bust out with a word that I don't know.

Note: Asking for directions here was the same as asking "Do you know any long, boring stories about people I don't know?" and things like "Turn right where old man Cooper's house used to be".

On a regular basis I use ahmad kalami assam tea, 1 lb box amazon $10, the barooti from what I understand is broken pieces and dust, so if you want loose leaves try the kalami.
I use only a truvia and drink it w/o milk or cream now. 16 oz mug steeped.

I placed an order an order on Amazon for Yorkshire tea today. It seemed that there were two versions of the bagged tea. One box of 100 bags contained 220 grams and displayed a picture of a string and tag. Another box of 80 bags contained 250 grams and did not display the string and tag. Obviously more tea per bag in the second box.

The following review was helpful in making my decision:

So I emailed the UK customer rep, and we get the SAME TEA, just less strength.
Reviewed in the United States on March 18, 2019
Size: 100 Count (Pack of 1)Verified Purchase
Disclaimer, I either had a really good batch or quality control is lacking for everyone else, but below is what they emailed me about this discrepancy:

"This box as with all Yorkshire tea regardless of location is the very same blend of tea however the amount of tea in these tea bags in this box is slightly less to suit a different market so yes there will be a taste difference when drinking a lighter tea bag.

We do slightly adjust tea bag weight according to the market tea is sold to cater for taste, traditional Yorkshire Tea as we enjoy here in the UK can be too strong so we alter this to make it more enjoyable. Obviously anyone who has enjoyed our tea here in the UK then back home will perhaps notice a difference.

I hope this explains things and if you want the full strength tea bag in the US then make sure you choose a box that is not the string and tag one."

PS: I personally had no problem with this tea, since, I use two bags and add sugar and milk to make a sweetish milk tea. It explains why it's probably the perfect cup, since I assume 2 bags is worth 1 or 1.5 of a UK non-stringed tea bag.

Owen Bawn

I placed an order an order on Amazon for Yorkshire tea today. It seemed that there were two versions of the bagged tea. One box of 100 bags contained 220 grams and displayed a picture of a string and tag. Another box of 80 bags contained 250 grams and did not display the string and tag. Obviously more tea per bag in the second box.

The following review was helpful in making my decision:
This was really quite helpful, and makes sense. Thank you. I just pulled the trigger on a box each of red and gold Yorkshire.

This was really quite helpful, and makes sense. Thank you. I just pulled the trigger on a box each of red and gold Yorkshire.
So what do you think of it? Do you prefer the gold or the red? My Yorkshire Gold box of 160bags/500 grams that I ordered from Amazon just arrived but I have a full pot of PG Tips Gold so I likely won't get to try it until tomorrow. I did some research and found that PG Tips is more popular with those under 50 years old and Yorkshire Gold is more popular with those over 50.

Brands of standard or decaffeinated tea products ranked by number of users in Great Britain in 2019

Owen Bawn

I haven't opened either box yet. I've had both many times over the years so I have a pretty good idea what's in store. I prefer the red, though the gold is a nice change of pace. Working on a box of Barry's in the red box right now. When that's finished I'll probably open a box of the Yorkshire.

We always have a large supply of Yorkshire Tea on hand. It is our go to every day tea for any time of day. We order it from Amazon. It could be shipped to the US from a number of places where it is packaged. Not necessarily from the UK. Is it the same Yorkshire Tea that is available in the UK? I don't know. But, I am sure if you were to contact the Yorkshire folks they will tell you.
We also like Yorkshire Gold and their Biscuit Tea.
IMG_4913.jpg

I like Lyons - introduced to me by an Irish friend. Haven't had Yorkshire, PJ Tips, or... what's that other one I'm forgetting... in a long time, but I don't think Yorkshire was my favorite. There's a Polish brand called Loyd that's also pretty good - they make some black teas (and also herbal and infused "teas.")

I wish more American brands used the round pillow-type bag or the pyramid-shaped one that some UK brands use. I don't care for the stapled baggie-cum-label on a string type.

So today I tried the Yorkshire Gold and it was a good cuppa tea. I need to use it more but at the moment I give PG Tips the slight edge.

I’ve never tried PG Tips Gold, yet, but I love Yorkshire Gold. Looks like I shall be searching for PG Tips Gold next time I need tea...never would have guessed that I would find tips on tea brands on a shaving website. 😀

Top Bottom