What's new

Question about Yorkshire Tea sold in the US

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Wanting to buy some off the shelf British tea, & I've been reading reviews of Yorkshire Tea on Amazon. There are enough of them that complain the product sold as Yorkshire in the USA isn't the same tea sold under that label back in Old Blighty to make me sit up and take notice. Anyone with any experience of these products both in the UK and in the USA? Thanks in advance.

Owen Bawn

Yorkshire Gold and Yorkshire Red sold in the U.S. are strong blended teas made in the Cut, Tear, Curl (CTG) style. The appearance is small, uniform pieces.
Thanks- is not the Yorkshire sold in the UK CTC as well? I recognise it's a budget, pedestrian tea, but I have fond memories of drinking it in Britain. That said, I don't want to waste any money buying it in the US if it has been adulterated or significantly altered.

Thanks- is not the Yorkshire sold in the UK CTC as well? I recognise it's a budget, pedestrian tea, but I have fond memories of drinking it in Britain. That said, I don't want to waste any money buying it in the US if it has been adulterated or significantly altered.
I ordered two bags at a time from Amazon that was actually shipped from somewhere in the UK. It took a week or so to arrive. I thought it was fine, not a gourmet tea, but very drinkable. If you pull down the list of available vendors on Amazon, you might be able to get it from the UK, too.

Scottish Blend, Tetley or Twinings might be worth a look.

Popular UK teabags are generally grim, much better getting a variety pack of wonderful black tea from northern India.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No need to use Amazon ... no doubt there are a bunch of "British imports" stores online that stock this (and other) Blighty specialties ... special teas ...

Having had a quick browse on amazon.com rather than my usual amazon.co.uk ...

If you get the tea from Taylors of Harrogate, it will be the genuine article. I can't see that an export would be a different blend. Maybe folks are buying the gold, expecting the flavour of the red. It's the red variety you want, which is a proper pleb brew (to use the vernacular, as I'm from Halifax in Yorkshire) and brews strong enough to cut with pouring cream or better still, condensed milk and leave the bag in the cup!

Brew it in a large volume mug with three bags. You know, one of those insane volume coffee mugs you folks over that side of the pond like to use. Enjoy!

Maybe have a Mitchell's Wool Fat shave which hails from Bradford in Yorkshire.

Popular UK teabags are generally grim, much better getting a variety pack of wonderful black tea from northern India.

Being somewhat of a loose tea afficionado, I'm very much of the opinion that the stuff that ends up in tea bags is what's left on the floor after it's been swept clean! That said, I do enjoy a good brew of Yorkshire. I'm lucky (if that's the right word) to be able to get the loose leaf (and I say "leaf" in the broadest sense of the word) and despite having a good close mesh infuser, it's always got a good layer of gritty dust in the bottom of the cup. Love it!

But yes, a Bukhial Estate Assam (sometimes with a dash of Keemun Hao Ya) is my usual breakfast brew. Curiously good with creamy goat milk!

I think the OP was looking for the loose leaf Taylors Yorkshire tea for nostalgic reasons. Although Taylors Yorkshire tea does not really come in leaves, but tiny pieces of leaves and I'm sure there are better teas available.

:lol1:

Oh, without doubt Yorkshire Tea (as in the Taylor's brand) is seriously low-brow. Yorkshire folk don't go in for highfalutin tea. Yorkshire Tea is both a brand and a blend. Yes, indeed, a good Yorkshire Tea can be blended from much better teas ... and there are many blenders out there who will sell such a Yorkshire Tea. But, the branded Yorkshire Tea comes in red and gold packaging.

... and it's slightly lower quality than floor sweepings.

Wanting to buy some off the shelf British tea, & I've been reading reviews of Yorkshire Tea on Amazon. There are enough of them that complain the product sold as Yorkshire in the USA isn't the same tea sold under that label back in Old Blighty to make me sit up and take notice. Anyone with any experience of these products both in the UK and in the USA? Thanks in advance.
I live here in Yorkshire and there is only one place they blend and make the tea and that's in Harrogate.
All Yorkshire tea is made in Yorkshire UK.
It's a strong tea, Yorkshire Gold is stronger.

I live here in Yorkshire and there is only one place they blend and make the tea and that's in Harrogate.
It's a strong tea, Yorkshire Gold is stronger.
I prefer the gold to red. Always better in "loose," (the Gold takes a noticeably nicer color than others when loose) though with CTC/"english breakfast" types you won't see the same difference you do in non-CTC teas bagged v. loose. In my experience people tend to develop their favorites from a number of largely similar types of these bagged teas: Yorkshire, PG Tips, Typhoo, Tetley, Twinings, etc. If it must be a bag, I lean Typhoo and Twining's Irish Breakfast. A lot of Indian/Pakistani households will likely serve PG Tips and Tetleys.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you get the tea from Taylors of Harrogate, it will be the genuine article. I can't see that an export would be a different blend.

There are lots of brands of British foodstuffs that are available here in North America ... but when you look at the fine print, it's not "Made In England" but "Made in USA under licence from ...".

I think this is what the OP is wanting to avoid.

Owen Bawn

There are lots of brands of British foodstuffs that are available here in North America ... but when you look at the fine print, it's not "Made In England" but "Made in USA under licence from ...".

I think this is what the OP is wanting to avoid.
That's it indeed. Thank you for reading between my lines and finally saying what I should have said in my first post. I'm verbose but inarticulate.

Yorkshire is #1, a strong tea, I have mine black and in this soft water area I allow the bag to be in the boiling water for at least two minutes. I have asked Yorkshire Tea Company if they would send samples direct to my friends in the US and just met with a flat NO!

Yorkshire Tea also make a biscuit blend, I haven't tried this but the idea of a cup of tea blended with a malted cookie taste has much appeal

Another very good tea is made by Bettys, packed full of flavour but without the strong colour of Yorkshire Tea.

if ever you make it to York or Harrogate then a trip to Bettys should be on your itinerary.

Finally, Fortnum and Mason (a posh London department store) sell their own tea, quite expensive but very good indeed

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Except for iced tea, I avoid CTC teas ... Though "floor sweepings" makes me cringe. Life's short, drink good tea.

And I'll add: happy memories of drinking Yorkshire Tea with family in Scotland; cup after cup with a few saccharine tablets plunked in from some little plastic dispenser.

Saccharine has been maligned in the US as cancer-causing, really it's no more so than more expensive sweetener.

AA

I just happen to have a box of Yorkshire Red that was imported into the USA... only two bags left, unfortunately. The local grocer, here on Long Island, New York, sells both Red and Gold. Red is the best. It's amazing with cow's milk and after reading this thread, I'm going to have to track down a pint of goat's milk. I love the stuff and I don't care if nobs turn their noses up at this tea!! It could be easily re-branded with Queen Victoria's photo and sold for US$60 an ounce!!! :punk:

2.jpg

Blended and packed in the UK by Taylors of Harrogate, North Yorkshire. Imported to the USA by Brands of Britain LLC, San Ramone, California.
thumbnail.jpg

Yorkshire Red was good enough for Winston!!!
103623206_-_churchill_trans++bwjJfl94PiMrTGifp-1BkJ5QPMEnr1YogE1l8oKYrPI.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom