What's new

Question about Vie Long horse hair

Visiting Madrid this week and bought a Vie Long horse hair brush. It's nice and soft but very fluffy and very difficult to load and apply the leather.
Any advices?
images.jpeg

I've never tried a horse hair brush, but you might want to limit its use to creams/croaps and bowl lather if you don't already. I'm sure somebody loves using their horse brush to chew up triple-milled pucks and face lather with, so hopefully they can chime in.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have that same brush and like it .. "Chamorro?"

The wood handle, though, did lose some of its finish- fortunately at the same time I was using nautical spar varnish for another project. Now the Vie-Long has a hard, shiny, waterproof coat.

Horse is simply different and takes some getting used to. When I switch in-between boar and synthetics, for example, I always use too much or too little water.

AA

I bought the Vie-Long 12601 to try horse hair and I use it mainly for face lather soaps and creams. It's not better or worse just different, it doesn't hold much water so you have to compensate. Mainly I load using circles, then apply in circular motion and lather in paintbrush movements. This to avoid that the hair tangles on the center of the brush. That and pass a thick comb when dry. It makes sense, since horses get brushed. Never knew someone who combed pigs or badgers [emoji1]

All in all it's a good kind of brushes to try at least once in your life.

BTW I believe it's "Cachurro", beautiful barber style brushes.

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

I have a different horse hair brush, the hair is not as long and I assume not as floppy. I am not super impressed with it. It isn't difficult to load or apply the lather with (just a bit prickly).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Choke up on the loft with your fingers around the knot base. The shorter the free end the easier to harvest soap off your pucks or croaps. Time and practice will do wonders for your ability to lather, however wide & low lathering bowls (e.g. Captain's Choice 5 inch?) help with most all (well, small amounts of water to build meringue and keep it while expanding...) bowl lathering issues. Once you have lather application to the face is straight forward; both swirls and painting work well. As noted above, care for the dry brush after each shave with a gentle comb out to keep things tidy. (I like combing out all my brushes, maybe it gives me time and reason to sniff too who knows?) Enjoy! I think you'll find it becomes a nice part of your arsenal and it's a good tool to know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom