What's new

Question about the first SE razor

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE razors came from the concept of straight razors but in the shorter blade lengths and earlier models used wedge blades very similar to the straight razors but much shorter version.
SE razors that I enjoy are the ASR line, Gem brand + Everready brand & Star brand(lather catchers) razors that use Gem Personna SS PTFE blades.
ASR are excellent mid range mostly. (Kampfe brothers, Brooklyn NY=Star brand made the first safety razors(lather catchers) & were safety razor pioneers based in USA and sold them World wide starting in 1875)
Schick injectors, E2,E3, G1-8, i2 & M1-3 adjustables> Good mid range mainly
Tom White TNNSER 3D Printed Razor uses Gem blades> very nice Mid range
Yaqi 50mm V1 Excalibur SE AC blades> tame mid range + good daily driver IMO.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a question what do you think, I wanted to buy the first SE razor, I use everyday DE, but I want to check out something new.

I am going to buy from my friend ATT SE1 if it will be a good choice.

I would like to point out that I like razor that are more aggressive and effective.

Thank you for your answer.

Here is my comparison of SE razors:

Other B&B Gentlemen also contributed their thoughts regarding SE razors on that thread.

The Blackland Razors Vector, with both SB and OC plates and a variety of Kai (guarded and unguarded), Schick Proline and Feather (guarded and unguarded) blades is my #1 SE razor.

The Colonial Razors The General is also an excellent AC blade SE razor. I rank it as my #2 AC blade razor.

You will also get great shaves with the ATT SE1 and the RazoRock Hawk v3. Both are great razors.

For GEM blade razors, the Blackland Razors Sabre L2 is my #1, followed by the GEM MMOC, GEM Featherweight Deluxe and the Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher".

A big consideration is which razors you have ready, and reasonably priced, to in your location.

Hope this helps. :)

Yeah, I was going to say there's also a difference in SEs between the GEM type and AC blade types. I've used the Vector and it's my favorite razor of all blade types. But it's also the most expensive. The Razorock Hawk V3 is nice but not as good as the Vector - to me it's half the price and feels like half the Vector. It's a little bulkier and a bit less efficient, requiring on my face a bit of buffing to get the stubble gone in some areas. It's still nice, though. For me it's more of a travel razor - does the job and is quite difficult to get a nick from.

I've just tried my first GEM type - a Clog Proof - and oh my that was a lot more aggressive. I know some people swear by these things, especially for the price - they're usually relatively cheap - but for me it's not as intuitive as a DE or AC blade razor. It requires a completely different angle when shaving. I was also just advised to try stropping the GEM blade before using it, so maybe that will help.

Yeah, I was going to say there's also a difference in SEs between the GEM type and AC blade types. I've used the Vector and it's my favorite razor of all blade types. But it's also the most expensive. The Razorock Hawk V3 is nice but not as good as the Vector - to me it's half the price and feels like half the Vector. It's a little bulkier and a bit less efficient, requiring on my face a bit of buffing to get the stubble gone in some areas. It's still nice, though. For me it's more of a travel razor - does the job and is quite difficult to get a nick from.

I've just tried my first GEM type - a Clog Proof - and oh my that was a lot more aggressive. I know some people swear by these things, especially for the price - they're usually relatively cheap - but for me it's not as intuitive as a DE or AC blade razor. It requires a completely different angle when shaving. I was also just advised to try stropping the GEM blade before using it, so maybe that will help.

I’ve heard doing your first one or two shaves on a blade in a milder razor allows you to move the blade over to the more aggressive razor after the blade is “tamed”. This has worked in my very limited experience. But the blades are quite different. I find the gem blades work well for my skin but they aren’t for everyone. The AC blades are a bit rougher on my skin personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question what do you think, I wanted to buy the first SE razor, I use everyday DE, but I want to check out something new.

I am going to buy from my friend ATT SE1 if it will be a good choice.

I would like to point out that I like razor that are more aggressive and effective.

Thank you for your answer.
If you like aggressive razors learn to finish then on arkansas stones! They will never fail you.

The choice fell on ATT SE1.
I am already after a few shaves, You think FAC blades last longer than standard DE blades?

I agree with the GEM 1912 and GEM Micromatic recommendations. Within the Micromatic family, I would add the Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing (from 1948 or so), which is a safety bar razor less intimidating than the Micromatic Open Comb.

Others might suggest the later GEM G Bar, but I still have a tough time getting a close shave from it.

Top Bottom