What's new

Question about the first SE razor

I have a question what do you think, I wanted to buy the first SE razor, I use everyday DE, but I want to check out something new.

I am going to buy from my friend ATT SE1 if it will be a good choice.

I would like to point out that I like razor that are more aggressive and effective.

Thank you for your answer.

The Razorock Hawk v3 is a very nice intro to SE razors. Not very expensive considering it is made in Canada and all SS. I love mine and the OC plate is pretty aggressive.
I read the reviews, I don't know if it is right that the ATT is more efficient than the RR SE

Micromatic Open Comb (abbreviated MMOC) is aggressive and efficient. I haven’t used the ATT SE1 but have used the MMOC and Stainless Steel Colonial General. The General is reportedly less efficient and more smooth than the SE1. I enjoy the shaves from both my General and MMOC. I also really like my Schlick Injectors, more than the General for sure, maybe not quite as much as the MMOC but it is very close. I tend towards less aggressive razors on average but the MMOC really hits the mark for me with regards to efficiency and I can tailor the blade feel pretty effectively. They’re also quite inexpensive in regard to blades and the razors themselves.

That said, I know of at least one shaver on this forum that alternate between the SE1 and MMOC and thoroughly enjoys that rotation. So to answer your question: the SE1 is likely a good starting point for SE razors although it will be much more expensive than other alternatives out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The ATT SE1; especially with Schick Proline P series blades; was the destination razor of @rabidus so I hope you’ll enjoy the razor just as much, @JacobW

With shipping to Poland, I think the RazoRock Hawk V3 would be more expensive than $92USD/€78 and you would still wonder about the ATT SE1 even if you liked the RazoRock Hawk V3.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Great question.

My personal perspective is that you may want to start with a somewhat mild razor as you work into the different styles of single edge. There are three main categories: Gem, Artist Club and injector. There are some "single edge" razors that use a half-DE blade. I'm not philosophically opposed them; I use half-DE barber straights. I simply feel that in a safety razor there are some real advantages that come from single edge formats. Artist Club blades are wider, sharper and stiffer than DE blades; Gem are even stiffer and come with some great history; injector blades are a little wider than DE but not as much as AC. I've not spent any time with injectors, so other members will need to fill you in there.

I have a couple of recommendations for you. I have used most of ATT's single edge offerings and find some of them to be too intimidating for my taste. I personally really like the ATT X1 single edge (AC) slant, for a lot of reasons including that it is the only single-edge slant I know of. It is designed to be a touch milder than the SE series (SE1, SE2). It gives me lovely shaves.

Also in AC format, the RazoRock Hawk V3 is a great choice. While I usually prefer open comb razors, I also know that there are many smooth bar razors that shave equally well. I prefer the Hawk V3SB over the OC option.

The other SE format I really like is Gem. The old Gem 1912 pattern (still made LONG after 1912) is a wonderful introduction to the format. They are mild and smooth shavers. They're also very "cost effective" -- I paid all of $2.50 each for most of mine. Gem razors are slightly milder in general than Ever Ready and Star razors, even though ultimately they all got put under the same corporate umbrella.

There are some modern razors designed for Gem format. If you're around a 3D printer, there's the TNNSER, and there are others as I've heard. The Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Starling V2 is a Gem-format razor that is very affordable (when it's in stock) and comes with both an OC and an SB plate. The Starling V2OC was my first OC razor some years back, and having just used it a few minutes ago for SEptember it's still a super shave.

Another modern that I really like is the ATT G1. It is very mild and smooth. It's also got some room for hot-rodding if you're inclined to "improve" the shave. I've got both the mild and agressive plates as well as a modified plate with a scalloped bar.

My experience comes from starting in the midrange and discovering my technique wasn't up to it. On that basis I recommend starting in the milder razors and moving up to suit your taste.

A lot of guys recommend the Blackland Vector. I have yet to try one, so I'll simply say that Blackland designs some really fantastic razors. I do have the Sabre which is probably the best modern Gem-format razor albeit by a very small margin. I have both the L1 and L2 plates for it -- they're both SB and I'd love to see a Sabre OC but I also understand that the development cost would be way more than the sales would return.

Single edge is fun. Welcome to the Dark Side!

O.H.

Great question.

My personal perspective is that you may want to start with a somewhat mild razor as you work into the different styles of single edge. There are three main categories: Gem, Artist Club and injector. There are some "single edge" razors that use a half-DE blade. I'm not philosophically opposed them; I use half-DE barber straights. I simply feel that in a safety razor there are some real advantages that come from single edge formats. Artist Club blades are wider, sharper and stiffer than DE blades; Gem are even stiffer and come with some great history; injector blades are a little wider than DE but not as much as AC. I've not spent any time with injectors, so other members will need to fill you in there.

I have a couple of recommendations for you. I have used most of ATT's single edge offerings and find some of them to be too intimidating for my taste. I personally really like the ATT X1 single edge (AC) slant, for a lot of reasons including that it is the only single-edge slant I know of. It is designed to be a touch milder than the SE series (SE1, SE2). It gives me lovely shaves.

Also in AC format, the RazoRock Hawk V3 is a great choice. While I usually prefer open comb razors, I also know that there are many smooth bar razors that shave equally well. I prefer the Hawk V3SB over the OC option.

The other SE format I really like is Gem. The old Gem 1912 pattern (still made LONG after 1912) is a wonderful introduction to the format. They are mild and smooth shavers. They're also very "cost effective" -- I paid all of $2.50 each for most of mine. Gem razors are slightly milder in general than Ever Ready and Star razors, even though ultimately they all got put under the same corporate umbrella.

There are some modern razors designed for Gem format. If you're around a 3D printer, there's the TNNSER, and there are others as I've heard. The Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Starling V2 is a Gem-format razor that is very affordable (when it's in stock) and comes with both an OC and an SB plate. The Starling V2OC was my first OC razor some years back, and having just used it a few minutes ago for SEptember it's still a super shave.

Another modern that I really like is the ATT G1. It is very mild and smooth. It's also got some room for hot-rodding if you're inclined to "improve" the shave. I've got both the mild and agressive plates as well as a modified plate with a scalloped bar.

My experience comes from starting in the midrange and discovering my technique wasn't up to it. On that basis I recommend starting in the milder razors and moving up to suit your taste.

A lot of guys recommend the Blackland Vector. I have yet to try one, so I'll simply say that Blackland designs some really fantastic razors. I do have the Sabre which is probably the best modern Gem-format razor albeit by a very small margin. I have both the L1 and L2 plates for it -- they're both SB and I'd love to see a Sabre OC but I also understand that the development cost would be way more than the sales would return.

Single edge is fun. Welcome to the Dark Side!

O.H.
Thank you for your extensive reply👍

Background: I've owned or currently own
- aluminum General (still have)
- stainless steel general v1 (sold)
- stainless general v2 (still have)
- iKon El jefe (sold)
- steel vector (sold)
- steel ATT SE1 (sold)
- Occam's razor (sold)
- OREN razor (sold)
- Occam's Enoch (have and gifted a 2nd)
- titanium Vector en route, but haven't used yet and can't comment.

Preference: Schick ProLine, but Kai or Feather are ok too.

ATT was not bad at all. Not smoothest, not roughest. Probably slightly towards smooth side. Middle or the road efficiency as well. For the price, not a bad option. Current personal favorite SE is still the aluminum General, but the v2 is slightly more nimble.

I have both an SE1 and SE2, as well as a number of other SEs. The ATTs shave wonderfully. I have also dealt with ATT customer service - and they are simply great and very responsive. FWIW, my daily SE driver is an AutoStrop B1.

I have both an SE1 and SE2, as well as a number of other SEs. The ATTs shave wonderfully.

Is the SE2 overly aggressive or just more efficient? I just started using the SE1 and like it alot. As it happens this is my first AC razor but not my first SE. I have a couple of GEMs already, ATT G1 and the Sabre.

I'm using proline blades.

I would say it's more efficient. I definitely do not find it more aggressive. In general, I prefer open comb razors. Like you, I also have the G1 and Sabre. In addition, I have the latest version of the PAA Starling. Options are a good thing.:001_smile

I agree with the GEM 1912 and GEM Micromatic recommendations. Within the Micromatic family, I would add the Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing (from 1948 or so), which is a safety bar razor less intimidating than the Micromatic Open Comb.

Others might suggest the later GEM G Bar, but I still have a tough time getting a close shave from it.

Top Bottom