What's new

Question about the Asylum Evolution DE.

On the BullGoose site they have they have 4 different Asylum DE razors for sale. Some say "Standard Gap". Does anyone know what they mean by that? Standard Gap as opposed to what?

OK, I can deliver the goods on this one. 4 models - 3 variables.

Variable #1: Two plates, Standard gap or T. Both are smooth. The T is more efficient. The standard you can't really even feel the blade, the T you can. The standard takes more work to get BBS and the BBS doesn't last nearly as long.

Variable #2: Handle Length. there is a 3 inch and the longer one. I have the three inch, because I like that size, right at superspeed handle length size.

Variable #3: Stainless or brass. I don't know how much you can mix handle and material. I went stainless but from a performance perspective I don't think there is a difference.

I personally favor the T plate. It can handle whatever, and has not hurt me or given me irritation that couldn't have been mitigated by using a different blade. Super Max an I don't get along. I was doing experiments to see if it was razor specific. It's not, they just don't like me and multiple razors have let me know it including my Asylum. It's one of my favorites. Today, with a friendly blade and the Standard plate I got BBS, no irritation,and no aftershave sting. Yesterday was the SuperMax pain, and burn, so i went with the more mild plate to be safe.

Variable #1: Two plates, Standard gap or T. Both are smooth. The T is more efficient. The standard you can't really even feel the blade, the T you can. The standard takes more work to get BBS and the BBS doesn't last nearly as long.

Variable #2: Handle Length. there is a 3 inch and the longer one. I have the three inch, because I like that size, right at superspeed handle length size.

Variable #3: Stainless or brass. I don't know how much you can mix handle and material. I went stainless but from a performance perspective I don't think there is a difference.

I personally favor the T plate. It can handle whatever, and has not hurt me or given me irritation that couldn't have been mitigated by using a different blade. Super Max an I don't get along. I was doing experiments to see if it was razor specific. It's not, they just don't like me and multiple razors have let me know it including my Asylum. It's one of my favorites. Today, with a friendly blade and the Standard plate I got BBS, no irritation,and no aftershave sting. Yesterday was the SuperMax pain, and burn, so i went with the more mild plate to be safe.

On the BullGoose site he says the model T is more aggressive. What is "SuperMax", a blade you use?

Terrific answer!!

I have used my new-to-me Asylum Evolution Model T (the more "aggressive" plate) several times, alternating with my Karve with an F plate. I find the shaves from each very similar--smooth, yet surprisingly efficient. I'm surprised the Model T doesn't draw more attention, especially considering the frenzy the Karve has created. Granted, the Model T is more expensive, but the form factor is exquisite (although a copy of a classic) and the efficiency-to-aggressiveness ratio is impressive. (Ditto for the Karve, but much has been said about that...) I know it's high praise, but I would put the Model T in the same category as the Paradigm 17-4 (with the Karve/F just a notch behind). Anyone else using a Model T these days?

I had both the first model A Evo in brass and then got the Model T also in brass and I have to be honest I definitely found the new Model T to be an improvement in both efficiency and it seemed a touch smoother than the first A Evo but I didn't find it as efficient or as smooth as the Paradigm 17 4 but we all have different faces/beards. I can't comment on the Karve as I haven't used one yet but a friend is sending one to me with the E & F plate to try. The Brass Evolution is a good looking razor but I found I was not picking it up so I ending up selling it. Its funny to because you and I have been in numerous posts together about efficient razors and I think we are pretty much on the same page on what's our most efficient ( Charcoal Goods L 3 OC and Ikon Tech ) but on this one razor it seems we have had a different experience. It's all good though!
:a17:

Yes, you and I are usually on the same page! I enjoy the Karve/F, Model T and 17-4, but none of them are among my efficiency kings. They're just very nice, easy shaves.

Sorry but what is a "Karve"? I never heard of it. Who makes it? How about a picture.

You can find 39 pages of comments on the Karve in the "Karve a Piece of This" thread in the "Clubs and Brotherhoods" subforum under the "Shave of the Day!" forum. There used to be Karve threads in this "Double Edged Razors" forum, but they all got consolidated and moved to that more obscure sub-forum. Why, I'm not exactly sure.

I agree 100%. A nice smooth shave is nice but there are times I like taken the efficiency kings out for spin. :a17:

Most times! I'm looking forward to finishing off the blades in my Karve and Model T so I can go back to my Charcoal Goods Level 3, which is on deck.

I enjoy a slightly aggressive razor but not over the edge. My favorite DE razor right now is a Fatip Grande. Which one would guys recommend for me?

I love my Asylum T, used it yesterday. it delivers BBS that lasts upwards of 12 hours. I used my ATT H today. Both are excellent and efficient. I am not a fan of overwhelming blade feel and this delivers. two-3 passes and no irritation.

Top Bottom