What's new

Question about the 40s style Super Speed

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I consider it the mild/smooth option -- used skillfully it can become efficient.

You know the right answer around here is Get Both! haha...

I have a '47 Super Speed and a '57 Ball End Tech. I enjoy them both. They both do a great job for me and it seems like the Tech is one of the reference razors to which all others compare. Compared to my Tech, I think my SS holds the blade more firmly, which is a surprise to me. I cannot tell this unless my blade has many shaves on it. With a fresh blade, they are similar. With an older blade which may chatter in the Tech, the SS may somehow clamp it down better.

They both shave well with an Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue or Feather blade.

The SS feels extremely smooth to me. I'm very glad I have one. I use it most often these days. I feel that it is a touch more smooth feeling than the Tech.

You know the right answer around here is Get Both! haha...

I have a '47 Super Speed and a '57 Ball End Tech. I enjoy them both. They both do a great job for me and it seems like the Tech is one of the reference razors to which all others compare. Compared to my Tech, I think my SS holds the blade more firmly, which is a surprise to me. I cannot tell this unless my blade has many shaves on it. With a fresh blade, they are similar. With an older blade which may chatter in the Tech, the SS may somehow clamp it down better.

They both shave well with an Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue or Feather blade.

The SS feels extremely smooth to me. I'm very glad I have one. I use it most often these days. I feel that it is a touch more smooth feeling than the Tech.

I have a post war ball end tech and will be getting a 40s style SS later this week. I had my first shave with the tech last night. While my lather was super poor, I still got a really good shave.

Should be very comparable to your Tech. For me it took a little longer to find the right angle on the Tech, while the Super Speed just fell into place. But, I've heard others say just the opposite. Now I find both to be fairly mild but, easy enough to find the angle for a quick easy shave. I think you'll like it, enjoy your shaves!

I have a 47 SS, no notch. For me, it is what I compare other razors to. I can use it daily with Feathers or Astra SPs. I find it to be smooth and efficient. I have sensitive skin so 2 passes is max. Most days I do 1 pass with buffing under my chin. The 47 will always deliver a DFS with 1 pass and buffing. I am in my mid 50s with an average beard, lots of grey...ok, mostly grey. I have several techs, pre and post war. They will deliver a fine shave but I don't think they are as smooth. YMMV so get both!

It's a great shaver!! A little bit on the milder side for me, but to me the 40's Style Super Speed is king of the hill in the Super Speed lineup.

2018-05-04 17.56.37.jpg

The Super Speeds are a tad more aggressive and less maneuverable for me than the Techs. Both shave well though and are on the mild side.

I have a Parat which is similar. I'd consider it a mild razor. It's the most efficient of the TTO's I've used. I still like my NEW for shaving every other day.

I just returned from a five day camping trip using a '48-'50 Super Speed. I just wanted a tool that I could use fast and get decent results. I was not disappointed. I used a Tech for years. For me the Tech is boring. The SS's head feels bulbous and something I can easily round the chin and under the nose.

Top Bottom