What's new

Question about technique

When I started DE shaving a few months ago I tried to go real slow and close without any pressure but I was still getting a lot of weepers and nicks. I'm finding that as time goes by it seems that I am getting fewer nicks/cuts by actually moving more quickly and not keeping the blade quite so close, but instead trying to quickly "glide" it over the skin and sometimes I even use just a tiny bit of pressure and end up without any problems. I just apply a little more pressure on subsequent passes to get closer and closer.

Just want to make sure I am moving in the right direction from a technique standpoint. It seems to be producing better results, just wondering if I'm doing it the way other people do it

IMHO... If you have something that is working for you. KEEP GOING. If you find it starts producing bad shaves then look into what has changed at that point. Is it equipment or technique?

YMMV is something that rests VERY true in my opinion as everyone has such different skin. The way it reacts to soaps, how hydrated the skin is, hair types.

I say go down the path if it works. If it doesn't, come on back to this page. There are people that have years of knowledge that will let you know what works for them.

Again, just my opinion from a fella that has been at this crazy stuff for about 9 months or so

KM

I've never felt the need to increase pressure on the second and third passes. Each pass, in a different direction, reduces my whiskers to the eventual point I can't tell they're there. Any attempt to zap them using force tends to end in blood.

I have been adjusting my own style recently in an attempt to reduce irritation. What I think was my problem was overshaving; by keeping the number of passes low in an attempt to reduce irritation, I was encouraging myself to repeat strokes where the skin was overly exposed.

Lately I have gone back to a 3 pass shave but making sure that I am focusing on removing lather and not necessarily whiskers. No lather = no razor stroke. It looks to be successful as my skin seems much more comfortable and with no loss of closeness. And now, no weepers or redness.

First, congratulations! Proof that your shaves are getting better is that you have fewer weepers and cuts.

For me the keys are:
#1. ‘Let the razor do the work.’ That is, I let the razor glide at it‘s own rate and at an optimal angle, and
#2. NO pressure!

Your personal ‘mantra’ may be a bit different. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That’s fine. ‘The proof of the pudding is in the eating!’ (Or shall we say, ’Shaving?’)

Experiment, one variable at a time, with multiple attempts (unless it turns into a slasher movie). I keep a shave journal so I can keep track of each experiment that I can refer back to.

Not everything works, and something that works a given time (i.e., blade in a particular razor) works in a different combination.

I started with many weepers, because of the angle and pressure I applied at the point of transitioning from cartridge to DE. Then I got better, smoother and with less irritation. Paying attention to blade and razor combinations, prepping well paid back then.

After a while later I stopped paying attention to the combinations and started rushing on prep, tried to compensate a dull blade mild razor combo with pressure, etc.

Now I feel there was a time I were learning and trying to get the best out of my shaves and the results were much better than the beginning or the current state. I guess one should stop and refresh the basics every now and then. By trying old combinations and known favourites, using his time to prep, shaving slowly and examining the outcome.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Not having seen you shave, my guess would be you still need to work on your razor angle. If the angle is spot on there is no reason to add pressure. Pressure is not your friend.

If you feel the need to add pressure it's possible you need a different razor or blade, but with good technique you can get a pretty nice shave with most equipment.

Weepers are virtually always caused by bad angle, too much pressure, or a combination of the two.

Speed is a personal choice. Find your comfort level on speed.

Are you doing passes in the same direction? If so, going over the same area in the same direction will not result in efficient beard reduction. At times, when you go too slowly over your beard the tendency is to put pressure on the blade. Going a bit faster often results in less pressure because you are gliding over the area. If you need to put pressure on the razor IMHO you are not using the proper angle to shave. If you are using the correct angle and put pressure on the razor you will dig the razor into your skin and will get cuts. I think you are putting the head of the razor on your skin resulting in inefficiency. Unfortunately, the wiki is down so I can't point you to that section of blade angle.

I think quick, short strokes cut better. Shorter strokes make it easier to maintain the proper angle over the contours of your face. Applying pressure is necessary for cartridge razors since they are so light. The only pressure you need with most DEs is just enough to keep the razor in contact with your face. Try to make your lather as wet and slick as possible. Don't shave over an area without lather if you can avoid it.

Try to keep your setup constant for a month and focus only on building your skills and getting good results.

Yes, I agree that finding and using the proper angle for the razor one is using and using the lightest pressure possible for the blade to cut brings about the best results in my opinion.

I definitely remember finding that when I was confident enough to start to speed things up a little it had a positive effect on post shave irritation.

After all, the more time the blade is in contact with your skin the more opportunity for injury!

I generally try to avoid using any pressure although sometimes I will fall victim to repeating a stroke over the same spot with just a tiny bit of "oomph" rather than just letting the blade contact my skin. As long as I'm careful I can get away with it....if I'm not careful, I'll usually get some razor burn/irritation afterwards.

Most importantly though, if what you are doing is giving you good results in terms of closeness and comfort, then use the technique that is working for you.

Top Bottom