What's new

Question about short ribs.

I'm thinking of making braised short ribs for Passover this coming weekend. Does anybody have an idea how much I would need for 5-6 adults and 4 small children? Thanks!

Darrin

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[QUOTE =dgerson;7259677]I'm thinking of making braised short ribs for Passover this coming weekend. Does anybody have an idea how much I would need for 5-6 adults and 4 small children? Thanks!

Darrin[/QUOTE ]
Darrin:
I would 'go with' say...about a 1lb per adult & ½ lb for children (too make up for the slight shrinkage during braising)! :drool:

Q. Will you be adding wine to your braise
proxy.php

attachment.php
"[Short] ribs are a spiritual experience for me". Bill Rancic

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Short ribs are normal pretty meaty and large. The last time I made them I bought one for each adult. But it's always good to have a few extra just in case.

The bones weigh a ton so be prepared to buy more than you think.
Save those bones for stock.

Last edited:
I just got back from Costco to check on the options there. They didn't have any with bone, all boneless. :w00t: That just seems to defeat the ability to have a nice, gelatinous sauce, right?

@Christopher - that's the plan!

The meat is still full of connective tissue which will break down into wonderful sauces.

The short rib 'plate' will have a better yield since you won't lose weight on the bone.

Im currently making a shirt rib chili at work and we braised the short rib plates before shredding it and adding to the chili. Our most popular soup at the moment.

Season and sear them. Add some pintsage, dissolve the fond, cover with stock, seal and braise!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The meat is still full of connective tissue which will break down into wonderful sauces.

The short rib 'plate' will have a better yield since you won't lose weight on the bone.

Im currently making a shirt rib chili at work and we braised the short rib plates before shredding it and adding to the chili. Our most popular soup at the moment.

Season and sear them. Add some pintsage, dissolve the fond, cover with stock, seal and braise!

You did not just say short ribs chili. Now my mind is whirling on how good that would be. A recipe comes to mind.:laugh:

We use dried anchor chilies and anchor chili powder. Gives it a nice earthyness. Goes well with the richness of the shirtrib. Would work well for leftover shirtrib meat

I haven't personally had good luck making them. I don't think I braised long enough. That said, when I've eaten them out, they've been sublime. I once flew into St. Louis for a conference the first night of the World Series. I arrived at my hotel, went down to the empty restaurant and proceeded to polish off a plate of short ribs and a bottle of Cabernet (it was a long flight). I won't forget that meal anytime soon.

I grind my own hambuger and have been using about 40% short rib, 60% chuck. It is truly absolutely amazing. I would not wory about using bone out for braised ribs. Got to love the fact costco sells choice boneless for $6.99 a # in my neck of the woods.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made some braised short ribs a few months ago. It was one of the best foods I've ever placed in my mouth.

$IMG_0471.jpg

Last edited:
Follow up on boneless short ribs. As. Write this my belly is full of boneless short ribs. Approximately 20-24 minutes under broiler in toaster oven. An experiment. Salt and pepper seasoning. You gotta check the doneness. Juicy and tasty. A good Pinot makes it better.

I like going bone-in for an entree where the meat is the centerpiece. Better presentation. Boneless short ribs are for braising and shredding, or slicing thin IMO.

As far as portioning, two or three bones per adult person is generally good if they're part of a substantial meal. Braised ribs are rich, unctuous stuff. More is not always better.

Sear/Brown them off over high heat, deglaze the pan with your braising liquid and add to the cooking vessel. A cup of liquid per two pounds of ribs is a reasonable rule of thumb. Rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, whole coriander seed, allspice berries, and whole peppercorns all go well with braised beef. If you're not using wine in your braise, at least use good beef stock.

Seal up your roasting pan tight with heavy-duty foil and put in the oven at 250F for a good 4 hours minimum. I do smaller quantities in a slow cooker. Turn it on at lunch time and by dinner, meltingly tender ribs.

Also, I don't know what your personal dietary rules are, but beef ribs braised in Flemish ale (Rodenbach, for instance) are a-mazing. I've also done them in a local brewery's cherry-chocolate Imperial Stout. Whatever you do, be sure to strain and reduce the braising liquid to a demiglace to sauce with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom