What's new

question about schick injector

I am glad to say that it's been a year since I walked away from the multi-blade razors/gimmicks and switched over to using a single blade Merkur (rotate the progress, HD, and open comb).
I have lately had the RAD act up and I want to try a Schick Injector. I went online and found a site that listed all the different models of the Injector line; I am now very confused as to which model I should try and find, as I've heard some of the later production models were not as good as the older ones.

Does anyone have any advice as to which injectors to look for and which to avoid?
Or if I should just stick with the Merkurs and avoid the Injectors all together?

I have a couple of nice Schicks (a 50's model and a 60's model) and while I use them every now and again I have never wanted to put away the Fatboy and go over to the "small-d" dark side.

Consider:

There are other DE options (i.e. vintage Gillettes) you might want to try before you go to a totally different type of razor. There are also SE razors, like Gem's, to try.

With an injector getting decent blades can be tricky. It is a total retooling of what you do now, meaning new razors and new blades.

So:

Try and find a cheap one on eBay or here and bum some blades from an understanding member and give it a try for a week before you decide to invest in new hardware.

The older bakelite injectors are too aggressive. The new L type are just about right.

I would agree. The old "E"s can be rough, especially with the made-in-Germany Schick blades and the ASR drugstore blades. Many folks don't like either of these blades, but I can use them in a J or L Type.

FWIW, I recently acquired a small cache of NOS Made in USA Schick blades, and they shave like a dream paired with my J-type. I used it this AM as a matter of fact.

I would agree. The old "E"s can be rough, especially with the made-in-Germany Schick blades and the ASR drugstore blades. Many folks don't like either of these blades, but I can use them in a J or L Type.

FWIW, I recently acquired a small cache of NOS Made in USA Schick blades, and they shave like a dream paired with my J-type. I used it this AM as a matter of fact.
The E series are more aggressive, but that doesn't make them bad. I started my intro to wetshaving with an E series, and it worked fine for me. I prefer it to the L by a lot.

I think the type E's can be extremely variable. They were designed to be able to be opened and cleaned and I think some of them get a little "off" after awhile, be it alignment or something else. I love my Canadian E, one of my top 5 desert island razors and as mild as a 40's SS. My E is my go to razor when I have more than 3 days of beard growth, mows it down nicely.

The variability is probably why Schick did away with being able to open the head and went with the crud collectors in later years.

The E is fairly aggressive, while the G, made in the 1940s, is relatively mild. Both are pretty inexpensive on eBay, but you've got to make sure you get a closeup of the head from all angles before you buy. The nubs that hold the blade in place can be worn enough to make the razor unusable. I speak from experience.

The "newer" Schicks from the 50s and 60s tend to be very expensive on eBay, particularly the adjustable ones. Even razors from the 70s or 80s cost quite a bit.

I have a G that I shaved with twice before my wife took it away from me. I didn't get enough time on it to form an opinion but she loves it after a little more than a week.

She prefers the Schick blades over the CVS-branded generics. The Schick injector magazine also seems to work better. I had to fiddle quite a bit with the CVS plastic magazine to get a blade into the razor.

The E is fairly aggressive, while the G, made in the 1940s, is relatively mild. Both are pretty inexpensive on eBay, but you've got to make sure you get a closeup of the head from all angles before you buy. The nubs that hold the blade in place can be worn enough to make the razor unusable. I speak from experience.

The "newer" Schicks from the 50s and 60s tend to be very expensive on eBay, particularly the adjustable ones. Even razors from the 70s or 80s cost quite a bit.
There seems to be quite a bit of variation in the aggressiveness of some of the Schicks. I have one of the first Schick injector sets sold after Eversharp obtained the rights to the Schick injector in 1946. The razor has a large blade gap, and I can assure you it is quite aggressive.

-Clarke

Any pre 1960 schick injector, if in good condition, can deliver a great shave.

I have tried Schick Injectors and I must say that can shave like there's no tomorrow.

I just wish to offer a clarification. I'm not meaning to say that older Schick injectors don't shave well. Since some folks don't care for aggressive razors, I'm just pointing out that some of the older ones can be rather aggressive if proper care is not exercised.

-Clarke

I have a Schick adjustable and I have found combined with Pella blades it is very comfortable and close. I would say as good as shave as a Fatboy.

Top Bottom