What's new

Question about Rockwell Synthetic Brush

I'm thinking about purchasing a synthetic brush for the first time, and I was wondering if anyone has used the Rockwell synthetic brush and how it compares to other synthetic brushes and what brush is the best bang for the buck?

I don't mind spending more for a good quality brush, but I hate paying extra just for a name when a cheaper version is just as good. An example is my High Mountain Silvertip Badger brush I got from Henri et Victora, great brush with a reasonable price tag of a $100 vs. $300 to $400 to get a fancy name on the handle.

I have heard that the Rockwell Synthetic Knot is comparable to a Plisson Synthetic Knot?

Also, is the Rockwell brush using a 3rd gen synthetic strands?

The first brush I purchased was a Rockwell synthetic. It is a good brush with some good backbone and splay, but us also pretty soft. I keep it in my travel kit now as I recently acquired a Razorock Monster synthetic that I use at home in my brush rotation.

I used the Rockwell exclusively for almost two months. I can recommend it, especially for the price.

That one is 20mm? Am I recalling that right? Good travel size.

Maggard black and white tuxedo is $12 in 22mm.

I like synthetics for all but really hard pucks.

I wouldn’t spend much on synthetics. They are pretty much the same across the board these days, at least to my knowledge. Stirling, Maggards and RazorRock all have synthetics that may suit you. If the Rockwell one is inexpensive, akin to the prices of those three vendors, I’d go ahead. Anything more, and nope. I wouldn’t even spend on a Plisson now that really good synthetics are inexpensive and readily available.

I'm thinking about purchasing a synthetic brush for the first time, and I was wondering if anyone has used the Rockwell synthetic brush and how it compares to other synthetic brushes and what brush is the best bang for the buck?

I don't mind spending more for a good quality brush, but I hate paying extra just for a name when a cheaper version is just as good. An example is my High Mountain Silvertip Badger brush I got from Henri et Victora, great brush with a reasonable price tag of a $100 vs. $300 to $400 to get a fancy name on the handle.

I have heard that the Rockwell Synthetic Knot is comparable to a Plisson Synthetic Knot?

Also, is the Rockwell brush using a 3rd gen synthetic strands?

It's a 20mm knot so won't hold much lather and will also fling lather around a lot more. Fantastic razors but I wouldn't recommend the Rockwell brush.

You could grab a very inexpensive one from Yaqi (available at west coast shaving) or a plissoft from Razorock (the "Bruce" handle is my favorite) or a tuxedo from maggards.

Also, I'd recommend a 24mm knot as a minimum for a synthetic.

I haven't used the Rockwell synth but like others have pointed out above, there are lots of good synthetic options available at attractive prices. If you like a 20mm knot and the shape of the Rockwell handle it could be a good option for you; if not, you should be able to find a different size and/or shape that works for you pretty easily.

Saw a couple of these at my local Marshall's yesterday for $10. Not quite a big enough bargain to tempt me (list price is $15).

After trying a few syenthics out including the Rockwell. I found I prefer badger knots and that being either high mountain or machurian. For synthetic the ones I do like out of the field are the timberwolf and SynBan knots. I gave up on boar and I do like horse but I want a custom handle and I can't find a hose 24mm knot anywhere. I've tried other badger grades of knot but I only like the ones mentioned before. Thanks everyone for ur advice.

Top Bottom