What's new

Question about Ren wax and cell rot

I believe Renaissance Wax is an excellent product. And for those of us who store their razors for long periods of time Ren wax has always been recommended. My question is if you had a razor and treated the blade with Ren wax and the scales or wedge started to deteriorate (cell rot) would your blade be protected?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The blade would be protected as long as the Renaissance Wax held up and kept a gas-tight seal on the blade steel.

As celluloid scales break down, it produces a nitric acid gas/vapour that attacks the steel. That is the cause of "cell rot" corrosion on steel blades. When you stop this gas/vapour from coming into contact with the steel, you prevent the damage.

I don't know how resistant Renaissance Wax is to nitric acid.

Legion

Staff member
It might help a little, but I wouldn't trust it.

I'd guess that the coating on the blade would do more to protect the steel than the coating on the scales would prevent them off-gassing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Your best bet is to remove the scales and immediately discard them a distance away from any desirable steel.
One of the reasons why I exclusively use timber scales on all of my SR's, except the GD 208's that I with gave away with ABS plastic scales.

One of the reasons why I exclusively use timber scales on all of my SR's, except the GD 208's that I with gave away with ABS plastic scales.

I don’t believe you will find celluloid except on vintage scales made before 1950 or so. Not a problem with modern plastics thankfully. Celluloid breakdown and subsequent razor destruction is a nasty problem when it happens.

Hmmmm. I think maybe I wasnt clear that this was a hypothetical question. I am very careful to segregate any scales that look suspicious and if I think they have cell rot I bin the scales and save the blade. I do have some very old SRs in storage and I have often wondered what would happen if one developed cell rot without me knowing. I know it would ruin that blade and likely others around it. Hence my question if Ren Wax would offer any protection. Maybe I just need to check them more often.
I haven't found suitable storage for my collection. I worry about humidity so I store them in tote boxes with dehumidifier packs. And then I worry about cell rot. Anyone have any ideas for longer term storage of a collection?

Legion

Staff member
While cel rot could technically start at any time, I have never had it happen on my watch. Any razor with celluloid scales has been living with them for at least sixty years or so, in who knows what questionable conditions.

Chances are, if the scales were going to go wrong, it would have started before you got the razor.

Store cool, dry, dark, and check periodically. Then try not to stress about it.

While cel rot could technically start at any time, I have never had it happen on my watch. Any razor with celluloid scales has been living with them for at least sixty years or so, in who knows what questionable conditions.

Chances are, if the scales were going to go wrong, it would have started before you got the razor.

Store cool, dry, dark, and check periodically. Then try not to stress about it.
Best advice so far. Thanks. :pipe:

I'm not convinced that cell rot is a thing.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

PS: You can buy it now!

Top Bottom