What's new

question about RazoRock American Barber current status

I know that there was a discussion involving complaints about changes or perceived changes (not to get into that - I have no horse in that race) to the scent of American Barber aftershave.

Does anyone know of any reason to think the scent profile of the soap/croap has also changed? Please weigh in with any opinions or insights. Thank you!

I can’t say I’ve used the previous versions, but I did just literally order American Barber and matching AS yesterday. (It’s on sale by the way.)

I’d gladly provide any feedback I have when it arrives. The original scent sounds amazing. I hope it hasn’t changed too much.

I know that there was a discussion involving complaints about changes or perceived changes (not to get into that - I have no horse in that race) to the scent of American Barber aftershave.

Does anyone know of any reason to think the scent profile of the soap/croap has also changed? Please weigh in with any opinions or insights. Thank you!
I have never tried American Barber, but I understand the scent is RR's take on Rive Gauche.
Do you know what formulation?
Is it the original Rive Gauche or a later formulation?

The scent of the aftershave has changed. I assume the soap's has changed as well but I can't tell for sure since I've never tried it. The old American Barber aftershave had a masculine modern barbershop scent. The new one smells like a clothing washing product. Epsilon Scottish Spirit is reminiscent of the old American Barber.

Just received my order about an hour ago. I immediately opened the American Barber soap and AS. They are certainly very pleasant and actually remind me of Gillette Foamy, to an extent, which is what I learned to shave with 30 some odd years ago. That‘s a win- to my nose.

The aftershave and cologne smell different than they used to for me as well.
Thank you for that information! As I noted in my original post, I had heard the aftershave scent was changed (and for many, not in a good way) so suspected the soap had, as well. How would you describe the difference? Or if you aren't able to give a lot of detail, would you say it was negative, positive, or neutral in your opinion?

Thank you for that information! As I noted in my original post, I had heard the aftershave scent was changed (and for many, not in a good way) so suspected the soap had, as well. How would you describe the difference? Or if you aren't able to give a lot of detail, would you say it was negative, positive, or neutral in your opinion?
It used to smell like YSL Rive Gauche and now I find it smells like clean laundry. Not a bad or offensive smell, I just prefer the way it used to be. If you want something that smells similar to it used to, Fine American blend or PAA CaD are nice.

I read that RR Tuscan Oud fragrance has changed as well. I think the change was due to EU regulations that made some of the fragrance components unacceptable. I understand that they're trying to avoid irritants and things that trigger allergies. It's too bad though. Tuscan Oud was one of my favorite scents in all of shaving and my wife really enjoys it too.

I read that RR Tuscan Oud fragrance has changed as well. I think the change was due to EU regulations that made some of the fragrance components unacceptable. I understand that they're trying to avoid irritants and things that trigger allergies. It's too bad though. Tuscan Oud was one of my favorite scents in all of shaving and my wife really enjoys it too.

Tuscan Oud took a huge left turn and now smells nothing like it used to which is a damn shame since it was a beautiful fragrance. I recently purchased the A/S from IB and was shocked upon opening the bottle and splashing some on face. It hurts to write negative things about RR products since they are a great value but have to be brutally honest about this one. The new version smells exactly like Stirling Haverford to my nose which is a more spicy forward scent rather than the leathery oud goodness of the past.

It used to smell like YSL Rive Gauche and now I find it smells like clean laundry. Not a bad or offensive smell, I just prefer the way it used to be. If you want something that smells similar to it used to, Fine American blend or PAA CaD are nice.
I recently got this soap assuming it would be like the AS which I love. Sadly it is not.
I also got the Fine Accoutrements American Blend cream - this also has a clean laundry type of smell to me. 🙁

Tuscan Oud took a huge left turn and now smells nothing like it used to which is a damn shame since it was a beautiful fragrance. I recently purchased the A/S from IB and was shocked upon opening the bottle and splashing some on face. It hurts to write negative things about RR products since they are a great value but have to be brutally honest about this one. The new version smells exactly like Stirling Haverford to my nose which is a more spicy forward scent rather than the leathery oud goodness of the past.
This is what I was afraid of happening. I haven't smelled this revised Tuscan Oud. It's a shame, because as you said the original fragrance was beautiful.

RR Tuscan Oud is (or was) RR's take on TF Tuscan Leather, and Stirling Haverford is a dupe of TF Tobacco Vanille, seems strange that RR changes the scent of Tuscan Oud to mimic Tobacco Vanille.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
RR Tuscan Oud is (or was) RR's take on TF Tuscan Leather, and Stirling Haverford is a dupe of TF Tobacco Vanille, seems strange that RR changes the scent of Tuscan Oud to mimic Tobacco Vanille.
You might want to contact them about what happened to the scent, I do know some of their previous artisans have changed or left the soap business because of Covid 19 problems took their toll on small company's to sell products world wide for almost 2years.
They left some of their lines like Amici and Lavender soaps not able to restock as of yet, no doubt they are looking for other soap makers to fill the line.

Yeah it is strange since it is based off a different fragrance altogether but yet it is true at least to my nose. Was very surprised when I opened that bottle of aftershave and was hit by that scent since I already had a tub of Stirling Haverford as well as a tub of Razorock Tuscan Oud soap, and was really looking forward to that sweet leathery Oud scent that is not a spicy forward scent like Haverford is based off of. It's surprising how much the scent has changed thru just a few molecules as they claim on their website.

Razorock Tuscan Oud has not been reformulated, imo. The "v2" is a completely different scent. The AS with the Tuscan Oud label now smells similar to Paco Rabanne One Million, a scent I abhor. Unfortunately, Razorock is selling this new spicy tobacco flower oud aftershave with the same label and website photos as the leather forward Tuscan Oud that was so good. It was a favorite. The photos show the old, clear liquid, but the v2 is brown. What is worse, it's possible to order the new brown liquid by clicking "add to cart" from the old photo. The message from RR that the formulation has changed never appears unless you go to the main product page. Honestly, if one is reordering a well loved product, does one need to visit the product page? I didn't. I ordered from the sale page advertised in the Italian Barber email newsletter. I ordered four bottles of the aftershave (it's currently on sale for $7.49) only to get the brown colored, tobacco flower AS instead. RR was unreasonable when I complained. They offered to refund my money if I covered return shipping -- a net loss for me. As an alternative, RR offered me a 20% coupon on a future order, which would have covered the return shipping only if I spent an additional $200 with them. I took the matter to Paypal. My money was refunded by Paypal after RR failed to dispute the claim.

Is this thread about American Barber or American Blend, just to clarify?? Thx!

Top Bottom