What's new

Question about Polisilver Blade discoloration

I have question for the experts here. I started using a Polisilver blade, was ready to do a 4th shave when I noticed discoloration on blade, looks like oxidation or coating peeled. I always rinse the blade and razor in water and then dip in ethyl alcohol. I never saw this on any other blade. I have attached pictures of the blade (super iridium) and other used blades as comparison.

Has anyone seen this with Polisilver? Any thoughts?

IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG

Ok, any idea what it is? peeled coating, oxidation? Does blade lose sharpness?

It's oxidation. Something to do with two different metals coming into contact with each other resulting in the weaker one oxidizing. Something like that.

A way to prevent it is to swirl the head in water with every pass instead of rinsing under the tap.

It looks like you have something else corroding and building up on the blade. Your razor or plumbing and the water or shaving product is reacting. The stainless steel in the blade is very resistant to corrosion.
MM879

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's a mystery to me. I've been using PolSilver SI blades for around the last 150 blades and have never seen this.

It looks like you have something else corroding and building up on the blade. Your razor or plumbing and the water or shaving product is reacting. The stainless steel in the blade is very resistant to corrosion.
MM879

+1! I agree! Stainless steel resists corrosion, it does stain but it stains less than regular steel.

Thank you all for the responses. It does seem that this is unusual. I do rinse with running water and have not had issue with other blades. I did like the blade, shop and smooth, so I will try another and see if this continues.

I had one do it recently in an Ikon DLC coated open comb. No other blade has done this in that razor, and I've used a lot of Polsilver SIs on various other razors and never seen it before. I may have rinsed and left it in the Ikon I don't remember. Normally I disassemble, rinse and dry, which is probably why I've never seen it before or since. Polsilvers are awesome blades and used a lot around here.

Top Bottom