What's new

Question about patina on brass

Hello gents

I'm going to purchase a Karve razor made of brass.

The thing is that I have a sensitive skin on the shaving area, which used to have many acnes due to shaving.

The skin got much better than before tho.

Anyway, I heard that brass usually rusts and it makes patina on it, which I think the patina may affect my skin negatively.

If there is anyone who has a karve brass razor with patina on it and shaves daily, I want to ask if the skin has been fine since shaving with it.

Thank you!!

I purchased a brass Karve maybe 4 or 5 months ago. While polished brass looks great, I also like the look of the patina. I don't use mine daily--I can't maintain that kind of fidelity--but I have used it several days in a row and I've never noticed any ill effects, despite having moderately sensitive skin.

The patina is slow to form, and I haven't noticed it change the surface texture of the razor (which is matte to begin with). Given the brief contact with your skin, the presence of soap/cream, and the pursuant rinsing, I'd be surprised if it provokes a reaction. But who knows?

There is of course the stainless version, at a significant price increase. It tempts me. But I love the brass.

The patina that forms on brass I don't think it actually rust, since rust is corrosive but the patina on brass is actaully protective.
I can't imagine any scenario in which a brass razor with a bit of patina would cause any trouble with your skin. I have also never heard of anyone having any reaction to a razor with patina.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The patina that forms on brass I don't think it actually rust, since rust is corrosive but the patina on brass is actaully protective.
I can't imagine any scenario in which a brass razor with a bit of patina would cause any trouble with your skin. I have also never heard of anyone having any reaction to a razor with patina.
Doubling down on @kingfisher post. Patina on a brass or bronze razor is tarnishing and it is not corrosion. Some of us desire it, some of us prevent it. While you will see the effect of a patina on your razor you will need to look elsewhere for an impact on your shave.

Ive never had an issue with the patina on my Karve and my skin is pretty intolerant (any cream/soap with a scent leaves me red). If it bothers you, some toothpaste, as recommended by Karve, on bi-weekly basis should keep patina at bay.

R

romsitsa

Hello, brass is actually antimicrobial, just like silver, so no worries. To prevent or elongate patina development, wipe the razor clean and dry after use and store it in a dry enviroment.
Polising it up (on a wheel with compound) adds a further 3-6 months of shine, depending on humidity.

Patina on brass is essentially corrosion of the surface layer but does not usually cause a problem to skin especially as the razor is in contact with the skin for a very short time. It is a gradual process and should not cause a problem on your skin with a slick lather. The lather should allow the razor to glide on the skin so no issues with acne for any bare brass razor.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have the brass Karve...it has never negatively affected my skin and I'm kinda prone to issues. It's easy to clean up with some Brasso cleaner if you like to keep it looking pristine. You can always pay more and get the Stainless Steel model if you're worried.

In any case, good luck and happy shaves! Honestly, I think you're choosing a great razor in the Karve.

Hello, brass is actually antimicrobial, just like silver, so no worries. To prevent or elongate patina development, wipe the razor clean and dry after use and store it in a dry enviroment.
Polising it up (on a wheel with compound) adds a further 3-6 months of shine, depending on humidity.

thank you for the detailed information :)

yeah, I use a brass razor daily now that I found my first DE a Merkur that is brass plated, wipe it when I am done it hasn't tarnished at all. Love using it and my Fat Boy wipe them dry mostly because I have hard water where I live and it will leave spots on everything.

yeah, I use a brass razor daily now that I found my first DE a Merkur that is brass plated, wipe it when I am done it hasn't tarnished at all. Love using it and my Fat Boy wipe them dry mostly because I have hard water where I live and it will leave spots on everything.

Which is this brass plated Merkur. Can you post pics ?

I will try to remember to post pictures, I will see if I can find the model number on it. The razor is close to 20 years old.
I did a web check as there is no model info but it looks a lot like a 34c which is gold plated. I bought this years ago at a pipe shop and didn't get a box or anything from Merkur the shop put it and the rest of my acquisitions in a cigar box. I remember the purchase because I felt so king of the world even though I dropped a lot of money that day for an impulse buy. Lol sorry I may be wrong about it being brass and it may be just a less yellow gold or something. I apologize if I was wrong :-(

one more question

How about bronze? I am also considering buying Timeless one too

is bronze similar to brass?

Brass can't rust - that's why they use brass screws on boats. Raw (unlacquered) brass was all the rage with trumpet players a while back, and some still like them.

It's quite easy to polish brass if you don't like the patina.

Thank you :)

How about bronze razor??

is it also antimicrobial?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Thank you :)

How about bronze razor??

is it also antimicrobial?

Found this on Wikipedia:

"The surfaces of copper and its alloys, such as brass and bronze, are antimicrobial. They have an inherent ability to kill a wide range of harmful microbes relatively rapidly – often within two hours or less – and with a high degree of efficiency."

Please do some additional research and consider the source.

Good luck! Happy Shaves!

brass and bronze both have copper which is the antimicrobial source in them which is awesome and they are all beautiful metals and will patina nicely if you like it. I love the look of patina on certain things other things I want that nice new shiny metal look.

Found this on Wikipedia:

"The surfaces of copper and its alloys, such as brass and bronze, are antimicrobial. They have an inherent ability to kill a wide range of harmful microbes relatively rapidly – often within two hours or less – and with a high degree of efficiency."

Please do some additional research and consider the source.

Good luck! Happy Shaves!
brass and bronze both have copper which is the antimicrobial source in them which is awesome and they are all beautiful metals and will patina nicely if you like it. I love the look of patina on certain things other things I want that nice new shiny metal look.

thank you all

they are all the nice replies :)

they will be helpful for me to select razors

Top Bottom