What's new

Question about painting house

I had my house painted 3 yrs ago. I noticed that below one of my windowsills it looks like the trim paint is running (about 2ft spot). The company warranties their work. I had a manager come to my home and he said that my trim is getting old (10 yrs old) and that the previous paint on the trim is what is causing this also. He said he will fix/repaint it BUT it probably will happen again unless I get the trim replaced (which they don't do).

My question is this. Is the painter BSing me or is it possible that 3 yrs after they painted my trim, the old paint is starting to run or my trim is rotting out and causing the paint to run?

I don't want to replace the trim at this point.

I think it's BS. If it's the previous paint, they didn't do their job when they prepped it. 10 years isn't that old for trim.

I think it's BS. If it's the previous paint, they didn't do their job when they prepped it. 10 years isn't that old for trim.

That is what I was thinking. Besides painting inside rooms, I have no experience in painting.

How should a company prep the trim? The trim paint was about 7 yrs old when it was painted?

I know they pressure washed the house and trim. If the old paint isn't flaking would they scrape it or just paint over?

That is what I was thinking. Besides painting inside rooms, I have no experience in painting.

How should a company prep the trim? The trim paint was about 7 yrs old when it was painted?

I know they pressure washed the house and trim. If the old paint isn't flaking would they scrape it or just paint over?

The old paint should have been scraped off. A power washer does not always work. Muscle works better. The trim should also have been primed. It seems like they did substandard work.

What part of the world do you live? Is the problem on the North side of your house? The painter doesn't stand to make any money if he doesn't do carpentry. Makes no sense that he's screwing you, considering he's willing to re-paint it for free.

Doc.

Last edited:
I'm repainting my house right now and have a similar issue. What I'm being told by my good friend (the painter): Whomever roofed my house last, did not put flashing between the roofing material and the facia (sp?) board; so water runs off the roof, and the flows directly over the wood facia board(s) before ending up in the gutter. The wood soaks up the water and gets between the wood and the paint, pushing the paint out and rotting the wood.

It sounds like you might have a similar issue with water running down your window and causing this. If the wood has been subsequently damaged, paint will not adhere properly, and it should be replaced.

My buddy has no reason to BS me and I trust his expert opinion. Also, he is a painter, not a carpenter. He does not do carpentry work, I will have a different contractor perform that work.

M

mariones

The best colors will highlight the most beautiful features of your home. Skillful use of color can even disguise design flaws, boosting the curb appeal and market value of your home.
painting austin

Welcome to B&B. Since we've dug this one up though, I used to paint houses for years. I reckon the guy's honest and the trim was old.:lol:

If you live in the north trim paint can indeed peel off in less than 3 years if there's wood rot. If there is rot, scraping or even sanding doesn't solve the problem either unless you replace or treat the wood to kill the fungus. You can repair damage with epoxy - Minwax makes a product for that purpose, or you can buy bondo at 1/3 the price. In fact, I'm fairly sure that Minwax is relabled bondo. There are companies that specialize in this (one was featured on This Old House) and it's usually cheaper than replacing wood, although you will not stop whatever water penetration that is causing the rot.

Top Bottom